ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 BMW 325 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 325:

2006 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 062018

325

Engine suddenly shot off complete stall - lost power steering on freeway while going 70 mph

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Jul 232018

325

Electronic steering wheel lock. This is in the steering column when it fails the car will not start. It seems to be a pretty common problem. I was hoping there was a recall for this issue, but can not find one.

- Spencer, NY, USA

May 042018

325

I was trying to wait until a remember was available but IżM pregnant and now these issues have gotten worse and are more imperative my car is now smoking as I drive the power steering is now affected I just purchased a new battery and the battery light came on it stopped randomly in the middle of the street all issues which arent acceptable period but are worse given my current physical state

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Oct 252017

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that there was a strong odor entering the vents of the vehicle while waiting for months to receive the remedy for NHTSA campaign number: 17V676000 (electrical system). In addition, there was an abnormal noise coming from the steering wheel but the vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic or dealer for diagnosis or repairs. The dealers BMW of bowling green (325 three springs rd, bowling green, ky 42104, (270) 745-0001) and BMW of louisville (4 autocenter dr., louisville, ky 40299, (502) 287-1501) had been unable to determine when the remedy parts would be provided from the manufacturer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and but was unable to determine when the remedy parts would be provided to the dealers for the recall repair. The approximate failure mileage was not available. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Jan 212018

325

Car was driving when yellow steering column lock warning light came on while driving on street. Malfunction of integral lock sensor in steering column elv ECU hardware steering lock error steering column lock yellow color leads to red which totally renders car unable to start BMW has know bulletin sib-32-04-07

- Troy, MI, USA

Aug 242017

325

The vehicle won't start, and steering wheel is locked. The vehicle was parked in the garage, I was able to start the car initially, but 20 minutes later, the car would not start and the steering wheel locked. I tested the alternator and the battery, but still not able to start or turn the steering wheel. Upon researching the problem, it seems to be the an issue with the elv locking system.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Oct 232017

325

Steering wheel lock up light come on and lock up some time.

- Weston, MA, USA

Aug 102017

325

While driving car will intermittently and briefly experience full electronic outage causing the instrument cluster, vehicle lights, and electronic steering column lock to engage. As soon as the electronic power returns service lights display on the dashboard until I stop, fully power off the vehicle with the ignition button and restart the car. This has all happened at driving speeds ranging between 15 and 70 mph, fortunately while driving straight. If I or anyone else would happen to be in a turn and the electronic steering wheel lock engage the results could potentially be life threatening. This vehicle is a prior dealer lease then sold to a rental company then purchased by me. The vehicle remains unmodified and has beeb maintained and serviced with all oem or equivalent parts.

- Galion, OH, USA

Jun 262017

325

Tension belts.over heating.alignment.transmission. I've lost jobs due to these issues the car again is broke

- Olivehurst, CA, USA

May 092017

325

My wife parked her 2006 BMW 325I and when she tried to start the car the electronic steering wheel look malfunction light came on. She was unable to start the car, move the car or take it out of park to have it towed. This is either a bad design by BMW (it only happens in 2006-7 models) or safety defect.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Dec 032016

325 6-cyl

This past week a yellow padlock popped up on my dashboard when I went to start my car. Upon future research I discovered that this it is a fault with the electric wheel lock. I have yet to find out what the route cause yet but from what I have seen, this issue is wide spread and many cases lead to the car not starting or the wheels locking up. This could cost upwards of $1500 to replace the steering wheel column. I am afraid if there is an issue with the steering wheel column, it could not only prevent my car from starting (as it has with many other cases), but could cause my steering to lock up while I am driving. This is something I can barely afford to fix, but absolutely can't afford not to. Please look into this.

- Shirley, MA, USA

Jun 252016

325

First time I noticed the elv steering wheel lock malfunction. I just parked my car, turned off engine, and took out the key fob. I noticed on the instrument cluster a picture of a steering wheel and a pad lock. So I put the key fob back in the slot and the car wouldn't start. Then trying couple times taking out & putting the key fob in the ignition slot and turning the wheel left and right, the car finally started.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

May 222016

325

Electronic steering wheel lock malfunctions without notice and renders the car incapable of starting. A yellow steering wheel icon (or red in some instances) appears in the informational panel on the dashboard. The accompanying error code is cc-id 187. This condition when it occurs, will not energize (disables) the ignition system and prevents the car from being started. Drivers will become stranded wherever they happen to be once the car is turned off as the error notification appears only when the car is switched off or back on. There are literally hundreds of similar and identical cases on the internet when performing a google search on this issue.

- Mt Arlington, NJ, USA

Apr 252016

325

Steering wheel light comes on vehicle does not start steering wheel locks I hear from a forum that this is a serious issue can be a reason for a fatal accident.

- Humble, TX, USA

Apr 252016

325

Steering wheel lock light is on engine does not start steering wheel does not move is lock

- Humble, TX, USA

Feb 102016

Electric steering lock.

- Napa, CA, USA

Feb 262015

325

Steering wheel lock has malfunctioned rendering the car unstartable..car was parked with wheels facing strait ahead and upon restart the lock malfunctioned and has been stuck in the lock position.

- Bloomfield, NY, USA

Nov 182015

325

Belt tensioner bolt broke off causing serpentine belt to slip off causing engine to fail. Car was being driven when car started to lose power and power steering stopped working. I have no documentation yet because car has just been diagnosed and is in repair shop now. I found online that this has happened to others as well.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Nov 102015

325

Steering engine light warning. Started with a small red light when turning car off. The flash of red was so quick could not tell what symbol it was. This then turned into yellow warning with written description in navigation/computer display. Steering engine lock. Turn steering wheel left and right. Do not turn car off will not restart. Took car in twice not anything showing error or problem. Called BMW N. America had no idea what this illuminated symbol meant, connected me to a local dealership and they had no idea. Towed to dealer where I purchased the car (I have been the only owner and driver). Car has 44950 miles. Dealer called today and said steering column needs to be replaced. The yellow illumination stayed on when car was stationary, in motion and turning while on city streets and highway. Red illumination car was stationary.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 252015

325

Steering wheel lock prevents the starter from working. This prevents the engine from starting. I will have to replace the steering column which will cost over one thousands dollars. BMW has not issued a recall for this problem

- Jackson, MS, USA