2004 BMW 330 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 330:

2004 BMW 330 Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Oct 232010

330

2004 BMW 330xi sedan (E46) rear tail light indicator light consistently comes on, even though there is no tail lamp failure. Online community forums report that this is likely due to ground wire short in the tail lamp assembly. Cost of repair at dealership estimated at $700. Currently being investigated by NHTSA as EA09-019, but I'm wary of being overcharged by dealership for what should be a recall.

- La, CA, USA

Oct 102010

330 6-cyl

The rear taillight fails on my 2004 BMW 330I due to the bulb holder assembly and issues with the grounding wire used in the harness. This is a common problem on E46 BMW's as noted in many owner forums online. The gauge of wire used for the brown grounding wire is much larger than all the other wires and eventually the heat melts down the connector pins or exposes the plastic between the other clips in the harness.

- Porter Ranch, CA, USA

Sep 172010

330

BMW tail light ground is inadequate for applicable current load. Hundreds if not thousands of BMW owners have reported this situation, where the brown ground wire connected to the male pin of the tail light module becomes oxidized, eventually causing a short, melting of the connector plug, and causing brake and turn signal failure. BMW sells a fix package for the problem, so they certainly know it exists. Again, this is being reported by hundreds if not thousands of BMW owners.

- Milford, OH, USA

Aug 302010

330

I recently purchased a 2004 330I zhp, and drove it home. Didn't drive it at night for some time, but when I finally did, found out lighting is very dim, so much, I have no confidence driving at night. I must use foglights on low beam, and high beams when I can. Failure occurs every time I drive at night, and through my research, I feel the reflective material in the bowls is baked off. These light should be better than the halogens I had on my 325I, but they are not. I have not corrected the problem because repairs are too costly.....and do not feel I should pay for the defective headlights.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Jan 152010

330

The tail lights on both sides of my 2004 BMW 330I have stopped working completely (no turn signal or brake lights) due to a burned wire. This began on the left side with the turn signal light going out. When I went to change the bulb, I realized the bulb was fine. Looking closer I saw that a wire in the wire harness had burned and melted the plastic. It also melted the metal on the tail light assembly. This was a couple months ago that this happened and now the right side has done the exact same thing. I called the dealer and was told that this was a common problem with this model. The cost to fix the problem will be $350 per side. Looking online I saw that BMW issued a service report (si B 63 03 06) because the problem is so common. I am concerned that this may be a fire hazard and don't understand why there wouldn't be a recall. I am also concerned that I do not have an extra $700 on hand to fix the problem and am forced to drive with no turn signals or brake lights. It seems like since this is a design flaw and a safety hazard, BMW should be responsible to fix it.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 102010

330

2004 BMW 330xi sedan (E46) rear tail light indicator light consistently comes on, even though there is no tail lamp failure. Dealer indicated it was a burnt contact, and suggested repairing both sides. Cost for both sides $254.67.

- Burnt Hills, NY, USA

Jun 212010

330

The zkw brand of high intensity discharge (hid) headlights equipped in the E46 model 3 series BMW sedan have a plastic reflector bowl in the projector that has the tendency to have the chrome reflective plating burnt off rendering the headlights all but useless.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Apr 012010

330 6-cyl

- Des Moines, WA, USA

May 102010

330

The bi-xenon headlamps have a design flaw where the projector burns out and greatly reduces light input. The only way to remedy this situation is to replace the entire headlamp assembly.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Mar 252009

330

1. over the lifetime of the vehicle the xenon bulbs are hot enough to burn the plastic reflector that shines the light on the road. As this reflector bowl burns inside the headlight assemble light output is severely diminished by at least 60-70% this posed a major safety issue to myself and others. 2. the headlights made by zkw were installed on BMW sedan's model years 2003-2004 only. It is a constant occurrence and is very dangerous. I cannot see the road in front of me without my fog lights. 3. I was forced to purchase two new headlight assemblies that were priced at $1,000 per side. There is no alternative which is very troublesome for thousands of owners of this model year car.

- Wayne, NJ, USA