ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 BMW 525 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 525:

2006 BMW 525 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 202015

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag light remained illuminated on the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 162,000.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Nov 022015

525

Air bag restraint system failure.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

May 182015

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. While driving 25 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the failure occurred more than once. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 202015

525

Passenger airbag faults has shown up on my 2006 BMW 525I. This is the 2nd time it shows up. The front passenger airbag is deactivated with this fault and will not protect passenger in case of an accident. First time, I had to fix it myself because my VIN was not included in the voluntary recall notice sent by BMW. Now it is happening for the 2nd time. I had it check at a service station and it is because of another issue in the same system. Each repair costs approx. $1000. BMW North America has to take responsibility for this.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Apr 272015

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag and seat belt light continuously illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the technician diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Temple, TX, USA

Jan 122015

525

Passenger restraint system fault light has started showing on my BMW, there has been a recall reported on the same component "statement on voluntary recall involving front passenger seat sensor mat on U.S.a. model bmws - August 13, 2008". I have the same problem but my VIN is not showing up in the recall. I took the car to dealer and dealer says its exactly the same part but I am not covered under recall warranty.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 182014

525 6-cyl

My car is not on the airbag recall list but I have had this error for awhile now & it appears to be related to the airbag issue (not sure if my car has a tekata.) the message comes up on the screen- pass. Restraint system- fault in passenger-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt force limiter. Continue to wear the safety belt. I also have a picture of the error.

- Miami Springs, FL, USA

Feb 032014

525 6-cyl

Front passenger airbag is deactivated due to the front seat sensor mat malfunction. Alarm lights up on instrument cluster as well as the idrive service section. Vehicle is out of warranty. Dealers are asking for $400 to diagnose the issue. They claim the issue is common but my specific vehicle is not affected by the recall. BMW usa cannot help as they want an official diagnosis and stands by their position that my car is not affected by the recall or what ever term they like to use.

- Boca, FL, USA

Aug 252014

525

The passenger restraint system alarm came on for the first time while sitting in a parking lot. BMW says that my vehicle, a 2006 BMW 525xi is not captured under the current recall 13V564000, which fixes this problem.

- Manayunk , PA, USA

Jun 172014

525 6-cyl

Had heard from friends about NHTSA recall 13V564000 regarding the passenger side air bag system on 2006 BMW 5 series sedans and others. I never received any notifications from BMW in the mail regarding this recall. In June 2014, the passenger side air bag sensor in my car failed as described in the NHTSA recall notice. I went to the BMW dealer to inquiry about the recall and to find out why I did not receive a notice in the mail. I was told by the service representative that my particular vehicle VIN was not associated with the recall. I asked the service representative exactly why it was not covered at which he replied "I'm not sure, it's just not on the list". I then proceeded to contact BMW of North America to inquire about the recall. The representative for BMW on the phone basically had the same response as the service representative at the dealership, she was uncertain why my vehicle was not covered and why certain vehicles of the same make, model, and year were covered by the recall. The representative at BMW North America suggested that I contact NHTSA regarding the issue. Please help shed some light on why my particular BMW is not covered even though it has the failure as outlined in the recall notice. In addition, what criteria was used to determine which vehicles and parts were recalled.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 022014

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. After starting the vehicle, the passenger side air bag indicator illuminated as the air bag alarm sounded throughout the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 168,000.

- Phildelphia, PA, USA

Jan 162014

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. The contact stated that he was concerned for his safety because the parts were not available in to order repair the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags). The dealer and manufacturer were notified of the parts delay. There were no failures at this time. The current mileage was 70,800.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jan 072014

525 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact received NHTSA recall campaign number 13V56400 (air bag); however, the part was unavailable. The air bag warning and rear light malfunction indicator were illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000. Updated 8/19/14 the consumer stated the manufacturer repaired the intial recall. Updated 8/28/2014

- Lawerece Ville, GA, USA

Jun 112014

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact stated that the air bag sensor illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V564000 (air bags). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Whitehall, PA, USA

Mar 122012

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact stated that the passenger air bag light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the front passenger seat sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the repairs would only be covered partially under NHTSA campaign id number: 13V564000 (air bags). The vehicle had not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Tampa , FL, USA

Nov 162013

525 6-cyl

I bought the car it had an oil leak, radiator leak, developed an air bag malfunction, the engine stopped running, tar is accumulating on top of the sunroof every time I open it, the heater fan makes noise, the transmission makes noise after four attempts it is still leaking oil. All of my friends who own BMW's have also had air bag malfunctions. None were part of the recall, all paid $1,300 to have it fixed. BMW should have recalled all of them. The purpose of recalling some is to avoid a total recall. They are building their cars with inferior parts so that they do not last for more than 60,0000 before major problems occur. One of my friends has spent over $10,000 on repairs to his 2004 X3.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Jan 062014

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The dealer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 13V564000 (air bags). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 99,000 miles.

- New York City, NY, USA

Mar 132013

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact stated that she attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000 (air bags) but was informed that the parts were not available. The contact felt that since the failure was reported in November of 2013, there should have been a remedy available before March of 2014. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The contact did experience a failure.

- Camp Lejeune, NC, USA

Nov 052013

525

I bought a used BMW from long island auto find. Before picking it up I told nick certain things needed to be done there was a drafty sound coming from the moon roof the center rims were corroded, bolts were missing from the valve cover. I was called three days in a row by nick who claimed everything was done and the car was ready to be picked up. When I got the re not only was the battery dead, nothing on my list was done! I have since had the car 5 month and I has been in the shop 5 weeks so far. Passenger side air bag malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. There was an oil leak that caused my eyes to water and leaves a funny taste in my mouth. This took three different attempts to fix. The car moves from side to side at 65 mph. The car just died while taking my wife to work. I brought it to the shop it did it on the mechanic but he could not determine the cause. He said it was safe to take to Florida which is the reason I bought it. It stalled in Florida while entering an intersection then again in Delaware at 3:30 in the morning and 13 degrees! and again on the bqe as three lanes of traffic merged into one.I have 2 friends with the same car they were charged $1300 to fix the "air bag malfunction"everyone should be reimbursed. I am told the gaskets become brittle and leak. All of these issue's should be part of a recall.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Nov 262012

525 6-cyl

One day while driving, my car had an alert come on the I drive saying the passenger restraint system was malfunctioning. It stayed on a few months and then went away for a few months. Now the problem is occurring again.

- San Francisco, CA, USA