ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 BMW 530 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 530:

2006 BMW 530 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 192018

530

My airbag light is on and my transmission has an issue as if it needs to be replaced after research I found out that mechatronics and other components to be an issue for instance if your trying to pass your car stalls and says transmission failure after shutoff message disappears car will go in limp mode and car starts out in 2nd gear instead of 1st and 1st gear will also lock itself.....this is dangerous for a supposed high end well built performance vehicle. Tranny has no issues computer does that causes shutter and stall limp mode nearly could have died

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jun 012015

530

Speedometer, other electronic and sound indicators, and radio randomly turn off and on while driving. After taking it to several auto repair shops, a corroded computer component under the spare tire was found to be corroded due to water intrusion. Replacing the part made the problem mostly go away, but occasionally get engine and coolant problem indicators.

- Bradbury, CA, USA

May 022016

530

Navigation display reboots constantly. Works periodically. This display gives me access to all of the cars features including warnings and malfunctions with the vehicle. If the display works when the car is on it may not work if you turn off the card and turn it back on.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 012017

530

Head lights angle lights wires getting very dry from the heat of the light and the insulation coming off the optical wires, lights go out, possible shorting and become very unsafe.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 052017

530

The wiring harness inside the headlights is crumbling away causing lights to intermittently not work. The wires spark when they touch together. This is a fire hazard.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Jul 122016

530

Insulation around the wiring in the headlights has completely crumbled off and bare wire is exposed, could possible touch and cause a fire. Passenger air bag sensor in the seat is faulty and I recieved a recall notice but BMW says there is no recall on my car and refuses to fix.

- Irving, TX, USA

Nov 032014

530 6-cyl

The contact owned a 2006 BMW 530xi. While driving approximately 25 to 30 mph, the vehicle had an abnormal odor. The contact pulled the vehicle over at a fuel station, opened the trunk, and noticed flames. The fire was extinguished by a patron. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V126000 (electrical system) and 08V384000 (air bags). The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000. Updated 11/02/16

Sep 202015

530

Recall campaign no. 12V-126: Battery cable insulated bulkhead connector the issue involves a battery cable bolt connection in the trunk. Specifically, this bolt connection is secured to the trunk floor panel by an insulated bulkhead connector. The insulated bulkhead connector may have been incorrectly attached to the trunk floor panel. Over time, this can lead to a loosening of the bolt connection and cause an overheating condition - exactly same thing happend to

Oct 202015

530

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 530xi. The contact stated that smoke emitted into the vehicle from the rear without warning. The contact was able to pull the vehicle over and noticed flames coming from the trunk of the vehicle. The contact was able to extinguish the flames. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V126000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

Apr 212016

530

Internal headlight wiring insulation flaking off exposing copper wire causing failure of parking and daytime running lights and failure of the front headlight system as well as the risk of fire. Also having issues with intermittent cruise control, power ports and fan inside the car.

- Purvis, MS, USA

Mar 012015

530

Air conditioning stop work causing motor to heat

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Feb 012015

530

Steering wheel malfunction locks preventing the vehicle to start steering wheel locks while driving

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

May 072015

530

The micro power module in the trunk burned up, crashing the screen/audio/service screen. The car is drivable but I cannot access any features from the dash computer screen, none of it works. There is a distinct plastic burned smell in the trunk. I have since learned this is a common problem...when I called my BMW certified mechanic, I barely explained my issue and his response was "let me guess, you have an '05 or '06 BMW 5 series, correct? the microprocessors in the trunk are burning up...they've since moved them from under the tire". my car could have burned down. Clearly BMW knows they have a problem as they have since moved the processor. I shouldn't have to pay for this costly repair.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Mar 012015

530

After traveling for several weeks, my 2006 BMW 530I was parked in my drive way. When I returned home, I opened by door to find mold growing all over the seats, interiors surfaces, and a bad odor. I opened the back door and found 4 inches of water standing in the floor board. I immediately used my wet/dry vac to suck all the standing water out. As I looked around mold had grown all over the leather seats, interior trim, and carpet. I started to do some research on bimmer forums to see what might the culprit. This appears to be a common problem with many BMW sunroofs of this vintage. I was able to remove the back seat and I found that the cloth between trunk and rear seat was also saturates with water, mold, moisture. I had read to pull back the carpet and I found at lease 2 inches of standing water in both rear floor board areas. I also noticed many electrical components were under water. My alarm was constantly going off. I would reset it from the key remote and it would starting sounding off like the alarm was set off. I had to disconnect the battery terminal to get this to stop. So it is clearly a short in the electrical system. I am just returning form a business trip and plan to get it towed to a dealership to get an estimate to replace the carpet, deal with the mold that I am not sure how will be treated. And address all the electrical issues since I do not have a way to drive it now. I have owned 6 other BMW and this one for 5 years. I have never seen any kind of flooding like this.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Mar 022015

530

The wiring insulation is peeling around all of the wires in the headlight assembly. This is not a serviceable part, but the light bulbs are serviceable. This seems to pose a fire risk because bare conductors of opposite polarity are exposed to one another.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA

Feb 142015

530 6-cyl

A message on the vehicle display screen indicated that the right-side low beam headlight was malfunctioning. I removed the headlight assembly to replace the bulb and found the wiring insulation is crumbling to the touch, resulting in a short circuit. The headlight bulb is not actually burned out. There are many complaints about this on the BMW forums but BMW and the headlight manufacturer, hella, refuses to acknowledge the problem or do anything about it.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 212014

530 6-cyl

Failures of multiple wires/electrical components in the tailgate/rear window wiring harnesses. Search for BMW E61 tailgate wiring problems. The failures are caused by a poor design where the wires entering the hinge guides (4) for the glass and tailgate are repeatedly flexed at a sharp angle until the insulation, then the copper wire breaks. Safety issues - possible electrical short circuit leading to fires (highest load is for rear defroster); lighting failures (rear high brake light, license plate lamps and others); reduced visibility due to loss of wiper/washer/defroster; rear glass latch opening while underway, possibly resulting in loss of cargo or ingress of exhaust fumes. This is not an easily repaired problem and has cost over $2000 so far. I'm worried about driving this car as it is the main transportation for my children and their friends.I discovered it when the remote lock/unlock using the key fobs failed, the trunk inoperable and uncloseable, the radio stopped working, the lights in the rear of the car stayed on permanently and I had to drive home one night with the trunk wide open because the wiring had stopped working and it could not be closed. As I investigated I found many broken ground wires, along with several others with broken insulation, some with broken copper strands etc. I have already had the right and left wire harnesses replaced at an independent dealer for about $2200. This is a safety issue and I'm worried that more will come.

- Orinda, CA, USA

Nov 222014

530 6-cyl

When I started my car the idrive displayed the "increased battery discharge" message. I then smelled a strong odor of smoke and melted plastic, and the idrive stopped working altogether. I couldn't figure out the problem until I searched this website and several BMW devoted message boards to discover that the problem could be traced to a defective design related to the micro processor module that controls the idrive. Apparently, BMW thought it was a good idea to install the mpm, an important and sensitive electrical component, in the spare tire wheel-well where liquid can gather easily. A small amount of water spilled in my trunk, and the mpm burned and melted along with the attached wiring harness. Obviously, this is a serious and dangerous design defect. And mine is not the first instance of this happening - why hasn't a recall been required? it also seems that BMW issued at least one service bulletin regarding this issue, and directed its dealers to relocate the mpm to a safer location. My vehicle has been to the dealer several times since the bulletin was issued - at least twice for problems with the electrical system - but the dealer never mentioned the bulletin or suggested that they should relocate it.

- Orange, CA, USA

Sep 112014

530 6-cyl

As I was driving a warning came on my idrive display that there was a parking light malfunction. I later removed the headlight to replace a bulb and upon doing so I noticed bare copper wires. I then removed the main cover and saw that literally every wire had portions of the outer wire jacket deteriorating. When I removed the parking lamp assy. To replace the bulb, the wire jacket just flaked off. Due to the severity of the damage I immediately took the headlight to lauderdale BMW. Lauderdale BMW had a specialist look at the headlight. The specialist said that though it did look very bad unfortunately it was just due to the Florida sun! there is no support for the headlight either from hella North America (the actual manufacturer of the headlight) or from BMW. No parts can be ordered for it. The only option available is to purchase a complete new headlight assy. At $1500 I wrote to hella North America and they referred me to BMW germany. I wrote to bmwna and they responded that it was just normal wear and tear. Imagine that, an 8 year old headlight deteriorate to bare wires is by BMW's concern, normal wear and tear! that's shameful! at this point I cannot install the headlight assembly back into the car for fear of a dead short and possible fire! I have a 1995 Chevrolet S-10 that at 19 years has no wiring issues and definitely no bare wires! for BMW though it is considered completely acceptable after 8 years! yet both vehicles sit side by side in the Florida sun everyday! is it right that BMW vehicle pricing on the average is so much higher than Chevrolet and yet BMW's build quality and what is acceptable is so much lower! when this happens, something is terribly wrong!

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jun 272014

530 6-cyl

I discovered failures of multiple wires in the tailgate/rear window wiring harnesses. Through research online I have found this is a common problem with this vehicle over several model years - search for BMW E61 tailgate wiring problems. The failures are caused by a poor design where the wires entering the hinge guides (4) for the glass and tailgate are repeatedly flexed at a sharp angle until the insulation, then the copper wire breaks. Safety issues - possible electrical short circuit leading to fires (highest load is for rear defroster); lighting failures (rear high brake light, license plate lamps and others); reduced visibility due to loss of wiper/washer/defroster; rear glass latch opening while underway, possibly resulting in loss of cargo or ingress of exhaust fumes. Central locking mechanism fails. If there were to be an accident and/or interior fire escaping the vehicle would be difficult this is not an easily repaired problem. It would be beyond the capabilities of all but a skilled mechanic with proper tools. I discovered it when the remote lock/unlock using the key fobs failed. As I investigated I found the broken wire, along with several others with broken insulation, some with broken copper strands.

- Nashville, TN, USA