2014 BMW X3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 BMW X3:

2014 BMW X3 Owner Comments

Sep 082014

X3

Brand new 2014 x3 world class BMW (yea right!). Self designed and ordered, received on March 1st 2014. 6 months and 6k miles later, the car has died twice, in two weeks! The last time the car died while my wife was driving and making a turn onto a highway. Fortunately for us, no cars were coming.

First instance happened on 9/8/14 in a store parking lot. Wife came out, pushed button to start and engine would not start. Error codes started to flash- Drive train Malfunction, Brake Malfunction, Steering Malfunction. Called BMW Assist, waited 4 hrs for a tow truck and off to the dealer it went (horrible experience that I want to never remember).

Dealer holds the car for a week, says their was software issues that fired off '5 pages of sensor issues'. I learned at that point that mechanical car repair these days is nothing more than hooking the car's hard drive up to the motherboard in Germany which tells the onsite mechanic what to do. This time it told them to wipe the hard drive of the software and reload. They did, test for 3 days, and signed off all was well.

Second instance happened tonight 9/24/14. Only thing different was this time my wife was driving and making a turn onto a highway, coming home from dance with my daughter in the backseat. In progress of left turn (onto highway) car just stops. Forgot to mention, both instance, the car goes into automate park and you cannot get the car into neutral or drive/reverse. In this instance, there is no flashing malfunction errors, just dead.

For those keeping score- $50k Total of 6 months and 6k miles 2 stop and freeze malfuntions Almost 2 lives............

BMW= Priceless! I have seen several posts on blogs about BMW engine, but funny, no recalls. I guess the BMW image is more important that a few lives. Disgusting..........

- T G., Allenwood, NJ, US