- November 21: BMW Recalls M2 and M4 Coupes Over Fuel Systems recalls | 9 days ago
- November 20: BMW Recalls Vehicles With Rearview Camera Problems recalls | 10 days ago
- November 18: BMW Recalls X1, X2 and MINI Cooper Vehicles recalls | 12 days ago
- November 18: BMW Recalls X5, X6 and X7 Vehicles recalls | 12 days ago
- November 17: BMW Recalls 5-Series Cars For Head Airbag Dangers recalls | 13 days ago
BMW Defect Investigation RQ18001: Idler Pulley Bolt Failure
2012 BMW X5
Idler Pulley Bolt Failure
Steering:Hydraulic Power Assist System
Steering:Hydraulic Power Assist:Hose, Piping, And Connections
- In a May 23, 2018 letter, BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of a safety defect that may result in the loss of power steering assist in certain model year (MY) 2009 through 2013 BMW X5 xDrive35d vehicles (Recall 18V-336). The recall, which affects approximately 33,214 vehicles built from March 12, 2008 through June 27, 2013, corrects the remedy and expands the scope of a prior BMW recall (12V-550) which addressed idle pulley bolt failure in approximately 29,800 MY 2009 through 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d vehicles built from September 1, 2008 through November 15, 2012. BMW's analysis indicates that due to a number of contributing factors it is possible that the bolt's pre-stressing force could drop to an extent that it results in the bolt becoming loosened over time. A loosening of the bolt could cause additional bending stress on top of the bolt. As a result, the bolt could break. If this were to happen, then a sudden loss of power steering assist could occur.If there were a loss of power steering assist, manual steering capability would be retained, although the effort required to steer the vehicle would be greater, and therefore may increase the risk of crash.ODI's analysis of the complaints it has received from the public (VOQ's) and BMW complaint data submitted in response to the information request letter for RQ18-001 identified a total of 93 unique VIN reports alleging failure of the idler pulley bolt after recall 12V-550 was completed on the vehicle, including 31 VOQ's and 72 BMW consumer complaints (5 complaints received by NHTSA and BMW, 3 unique VIN's submitted multiple complaints to BMW, and 1 unique VIN submitted multiple complaints to NHTSA).BMW is developing a new idler pulley fastening system as the remedy for 18V-336.The remedy is planned to begin in February 2019.Based on BMW's safety recall, this recall query is closed.The 31 VOQ's referenced in this resume are: 10499780, 10559422, 10579534, 10655424, 10661614, 10702323, 10819617, 10903433, 10948014, 10984353, 11002447, 11010667, 11013643, 11041551, 11054759, 11054909, 11066063, 11083479, 11097562, 11098865, 11113332, 11128649, 11130277, 10552773, 10817406, 10937632, 10956710, 11032006, 11042259, 11063010, 11091513.
Click a tab for more information.