Exterior Door Handles Break

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Buick Rainier has a lot going for it and just a few issues that keep it from making our "best vehicles" list.

The good news is the SUV has a quiet interior (thanks to triple door seals, acoustic laminate glass, and thicker sound-absorbing pads), a low number of overall complaints, and a RWD system which offers good balance and handling.

Unfortunately, it received poor safety ratings in crash tests, owners report that the gas gauge is unreliable, and there was a large recall for melting power window switches.

So close, Buick. So close.

8.0

$140

2. replace plastic with metal (1 reports)
2006 Buick Rainier accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Buick Rainier:

2006 Buick Rainier Owner Comments

Feb 062016

Rainier CXL 4.2L I6

I truly love my 2006 Rainier however there is a major flaw in the door handle design! I purchased my Rainier with 45,000 miles on it in 2013 and since then I have replaced every exterior door handle at least 1x, and am starting on the second go around with the Driver side rear door handle now with 97,000 miles on it. The problem is the pieces are all plastic and will snap in colder weather. It's a major pain in the ass to keep replacing this part as the handle is $110 then they charge another $90 to paint the damn thing (and that is with a lot of haggling - originally tried to charge me $400). As if that isn't enough the issue was compounded by the fact that this last time I had the child safety lock engaged making it impossible to open the door at all! After months of trying to be delicate I went out one day and just ripped the handle off from the outside and used pliers to open the door. Now, I don't want to just buy another handle seeing it will probably break again in the next year or two but unfortunately am unable to find a handle that is just a pull and open instead of the lift-pull that is currently on there.

- Tj K., Harrisburgh, PA, USA

Jan 142014

Rainier CXL V8

Plastic doors handles? sad.. I have to replace the drivers side twice and all the others once, now the driver and left passage side is broken again. every time it gets extremely cold or heavy ice, these plastic door hinges snap.

It is absolutely insane a car company would make on of the most used part of the car, the door handles out of plastic.

These should be recalled, because if someone is in the car, you can not get them out of the car from the outside of the vehicle,

- Talmadge S., Lawrenceburg, IN, US