- February 23: Chevy Bolt Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Range news | 5 days ago
- February 9: GM Takata Airbag Recall Includes 6 Million Vehicles recalls | 19 days ago
- January 27: Chevy Camaro Airbag Recall Needed, Alleges Lawsuit news | 32 days ago
- January 10: GM 5.3L Oil Consumption Lawsuit Affects Vortec Engines news | 49 days ago
- January 5: GM Transmission Lawsuit Partly Dismissed news | 54 days ago
Chevrolet Preliminary Evaluation PE02066: ENGINE STALL DUE TO FUEL STARVATION
2000 Chevrolet Cavalier
ENGINE STALL DUE TO FUEL STARVATION
Fuel System, Gasoline
Fuel System, Gasoline:Delivery:Fuel Pump
Fuel System, Other
Fuel System, Other:Delivery:Fuel Pump
- ODI opened PE02-066 to evaluate the scope and consequence of engine power-loss due to fuel starvation induced by in-tank modular fuel pump strainer restriction.the subject pumps use an external 'sockż strainer to filter fuel flowing to the pump inlet.this filter can sometimes become clogged, resulting in a reduced flow of fuel to the engine.GM has subsequently modified the strainers to reduce this restriction.analysis of the ODI complaint database shows that despite these restrictions, the subject vehicles stall at a rate that is comparable to those of many peer vehicles.additionally, none of the relevant warranty repair rates exceed 1% at 36 months of exposure.one related crash involves a stalled vehicle that was rear-ended on the roadway, while the remainder involved minor collisions or scrapes.the sole injury consisted of bruising from a low speed frontal crash. Given these circumstances, further expenditure of Agency resources is not justified in this matter.the preliminary evaluation is therefore closed.the closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that no safety-related defect exists.the Agency will take further action in the future if warranted.
- Documents (6)
Click a tab for more information.