ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 AC / heater problems: A/C stopped working

A/C Stopped Working

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

7.5

$1,080

2. replace condenser unit (10 reports)
  3. replace A/C compressor (4 reports)
  4. replace the condenser (3 reports)
  5. replaced hose and added an "upgrade" bracket (3 reports)
  6. replace hose and add "upgrade" bracket (2 reports)
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 022018

Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L Flex Fuel V8

The air conditioning did not work - the dealer did the following: Heating and AC diagnosis Added 1lb Freon Installed 12356150 :N-Refrigerant DIAG. and EVAC and RECHARGE

This lasted 1 month and now it is back at the dealer and they had to order a part. We don't have any idea how much this will cost.

the GM AC Conditioner compressor and condenser lawsuit alleges the AC systems fail and cause owners to lose cold air which is exactly what is happening to our vehicle.

We don't feel we should be responsible for the cost of these repairs.

- bjohn598, Swartz Creek, US

Feb 012018

Silverado 1500 LT V8

The total failure of the unit the compressor, condenser and the hose is upsetting. How could the whole unit fail and the cost be this much? This is a new truck with highway miles only changed the brakes once so far. I maintain my vehicle and do a good job of upkeep. It is upsetting that this is a common issue and the mfg GM refused to rectify the problem, totally unfair. It is a 50K vehicle, this is BS.

- Manuel F., Fresno, CA, US

Jun 042018

Silverado 1500 LX V8

I purchase a 2014 Chevy Silverado in October 2015 and it just went over 22k miles and the a/c starts blowing hot air. I took it to the local dealership and they acknowledge that they have had many issues on this same model and it has all been the condenser unit and was told the bill will be over 1200.00 dollars. This is crazy that a fairly new trucks a/c will go out and I have to pay over 1200.00 dollars to fix it. I will be trading in as fast as I can and go with something else.

- randyhrh, West Monroe, US

May 172018

Silverado 1500 WT 4.3L V6

Well, add me to the ever growing list of A/C not working. Just like a lot of the other complaints, my A/C just stopped a few weeks ago. I went to this website and some others, and felt like throwing up. I'm wondering if this used Chevy has been repaired before on the bad hose for compressor to condenser. Yes, spent over $400 for a hose and a bracket today at a dealership. I already knew they were going to tell me that was the problem (due to internet research). The hose had to be ordered a week ago. Waiting almost 2.5 hours the work was completed. BUT, wait there's more!

NOW, the condenser is leaking, which will cost me nearly $950 more dollars and must be ordered from that intergalactic back order planet due to short supply. Duh, no kidding!! I flat out said I could not shell out close to another $1000 dollars at the drop of a hat. Plus if it were only the hose an bracket the dealership said that work is guaranteed for 12 months or 12,000 miles, not anymore due to the slow leak in the condenser. I have a sick feeling that this is an ongoing money pot due to defective junk. I was a Ford guy for years, and now regret the change.

- Edward L., Holland, IN, USA

Apr 132018

Silverado 1500 5.4L

Was told the compressor has gone out for the a/c, it blows hot hair but when mechanic looked under the hood, he discovered the compressor not working. After researching online it appears that there has been quite a few people having this same problem and discovered the part is on national back order. There needs to be a recall on this situation

- Charles B., Catlettsburg, KY, US

Apr 062018

Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 5.3L

I was told the condenser is leaking and the dual zone climate control behind the dash isn't working. The cost to replace both items is $2355. I have read many complaints about the condenser having a manufacturing flaw that causes all the coolant to leak out of the condenser and GM knew it but would not issue a recall. I have owned 4 different brand new GM trucks during my life and I am truly disappointed that I buy a brand new $45,000 pickup and can't trust it can last 3 years without a fail like this? Is it time to look at a different manufacturer? I think the dealership is a little over zealous regarding the dual zone module, but the condenser should be replaced by the manufacturer if they know the part is defective.

- Darin J., Kasson, MN, US

May 022018

Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L

I will never purchase another Chevy again. They're are hundreds of the same issue problem with the condenser going out on the 1500. Even after pointing this out to the dealer and Chevy, they did nothing about this and refused to acknowledge the defective part/problem.

This is sad for a 3 yr old truck that has been well maintained.

- jwhit32, Coeur D Alene, US

Apr 262018

Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L V8

Just bought the truck used. Then spring comes rolling around and boom AC not cooling at all. Not one bit.

- Jakob S., Washington, IL, US

Apr 132016

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Nothing like buying your first new truck and having it being the worst decision I ever made. Coming in from a hot day working in the sun for 10 hours to get into a hotter truck to sit in traffic for hours is just great. Chevy has become a joke anymore. And now I'm having other issues with the truck. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHEVY IN MY LIFE. And that's all I have ever owned and that's all my dad and mom have ever owned.

- Adam M., Brandywine, MD, US

Feb 282018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

The air conditioning stopped cooling in my 2014 Chevy Silverado. The mechanic found that the condenser was leaking. The repair at my local repair shop cost $751.41 for a new condense and 4 days without my truck. After this repair I did some research online and discovered I am not the only one having this problem!

I wrote a complaint Email to Chevy explaining that this defective part should be warrantied and recalled. Chevy did contact me by phone the same day. I was told that I should of went to a dealership and possibly they would of covered the condenser. I'm filing every complaint I can and maybe one day we will get relief.

- johnzm, Allen Park, US

Mar 142018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

I have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado with 55000 miles the A/C started blowing hot 3 weeks ago. The dealership doesn't wanna do anything about it but charge me a bunch of money to check it out, just to tell me what the problem is. I did pay somebody to do a pressure test on it. They did it twice and detected no leaks, so they refilled it and it blew cold for 2 weeks. Now it's blowing hot again as of today.

- Leonard W., Fort Pierce, US

Mar 212018

Silverado 1500 High Country V8

One week ago the A/C in my 2014 Chevy Silverado High Country started blowing hot air. Been reading about all the issues other 2014 Chevy Silverado owners are having. Called the dealer and there hasn't been a recall. But they definitely know about the issue as they have had several phone calls on this.

- Ryan D., Las Vegas, US

Feb 282018

Silverado 1500 2LT Z71 5.3L V8

I've had my 2014 Silverado since it was almost brand new. All of a sudden my air stopped cooling so I took it to a local shop and was told it'd be $1400 to repair because the part for my truck was "unfortunately" very expensive. Of course my truck is past the 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty but I feel like Chevy made a faulty part. I called GM corporate who, of course, advised me that my truck was out of warranty (like I didn't already know that since I started the conversation with "I know I'm out of warranty") and here were no recalls for that part and although there are numerous complaints, they cannot go by third party complaints. Fed up, I called my local dealer and gave them my case number to see if there is any type of good will that they can work with me on and pay all or at least part of the cost. I'm still waiting to hear back and have called numerous times and the service manager is always out. Guess GM nor their dealers care to keep customers.

- Dakota A., Winston Salem, US

Sep 102017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

On Sept Sept 10, 2017 I noticed the A/C fan was blowing, but I was not getting cool air. I took it to the GM dealer on Sept 13, 2107 (47131 Mi) and they could not find the leak, so the mechanic put in a dye and recharged the system. It cooled for a couple days and again stopped, I returned the truck to the dealer on Sept 26, 2017 (47657 Mi) and the dealer replaced hose (pn 23438932), bracket (pn23264893) plus refrigerant for a total amount of $418.52.

Then on Feb 24, 2018 the A/C stopped cooling. I returned the truck to the dealer on Feb 27,2018 with 57,796 miles and the same hose (pn 23438932) had a hole in it. The dealer again replaced the hose (which by the way has got to be a defective part) and replaced the bracket (pn 232649893) recharged the system and currently it is working good. Do the math, the first replacement hose did not last but 10,138 miles.....wonder it this one is going to last any longer....Dealer did not charge me for the replacement part the second time since it was under warranty.

One problem was that from time I left home to returning home was 5.5 hours to get the A/C problem resolved...I have been things to do than go a sit in a dealer waiting room for stuff like this..GM knows this is a problem but not doing anything about it except to have the customer pay the bill and replace a defective part with the same defective part which has been installed on thousands of vehicles. It is time for GM to step up to the plate and get rid of the defective part and replace it for a quality part. If I didn't have any better engineers that this I would fire them... I have a 2001 Chevrolet 1500 V8 with over 270,000 miles and the A/C still works fine and never had anything done to it.

- dennis10.cooper, Leesburg, US

Feb 012018

Silverado 1500 Z71

Not even 30 days later we had to put it back in the shop for the same issue. Same dealership.

Stingray Chevrolet, 1475 W. Main St, Bartow FL 33830. Phone 863-800-9999. Ryan was the service writer. we brought all this to his attention. He told me that GM was having issues with the same condenser on other vehicles. $2,400.00 in less than 30 days on a 2014 vehicles seems a little ridicules

- Art A., Floral City, FL, US

Mar 132015

Silverado 1500 WT 4.6L

a couple of months after buying it, the AC dash controls are not responsive, AC will not come on, it happens about once or twice a month. bought it new and of course it won't do it when i get to the dealer, so they always say there is nothing wrong. 3 years later still having an issue.

- contreras76, Colton, US

Oct 062017

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

I have no details. Problem not resolved yet. Issue started the week after the dealer had to replace a broken valve spring. Probably not related but who knows.

- Matt C., El Cajon, US

Apr 012017

Silverado 1500 LX 5.3L

GM and Gus Paulos Dealership in Salt Lake were terrible . They could car less that I had to go through the summer with no air conditioning because there were no parts. Do not buy GM they do not stand behind their Products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Thomas K., Salt Lake City, US

Aug 252017

Silverado 1500 LT V8

The A/C stopped blowing cold air because a hose/line leaked all of the freon out. This is the line that goes from the compressor to the condenser and it is a known issue with the Silverado.

The dealer wouldn't cover under warranty (38,750 miles) so I told the dealer to button it up and I would take it to the local Ford dealer to get it fixed.....and then trade it in on a F-150

GM finally agreed to "help out".

The $485 repair was lowered to $225 and they threw in the $5 line bracket that is supposed to contain the vibration and stop this problem. If you haven't had this problem yet pick one up and slap it on now .. available on Amazon ... New Genuine GM Bracket Part# - 23264893

- Dan S., Westfield Center, US

Aug 262017

Silverado 1500 JS 5.3L

noticed a knock sound coming from compressor, took it to dealer and they said they had 5 more 2014 trucks in the shop for same problem. then 2 days later i was going down the road and a smoke cloud blew out from under my truck. pulled over and ac belt was laying on the frame but no help because vehicle was out of bumper to bumper warranty. called gm and they are offering to pay for some of it but wont tell me how much. internet shows this is a common problem. i urge everyone with this problem to call gm and file a complaint. 43,000 dollars for a truck and the ac won't last 60,000 miles, this is bad. at least ford or dodge would stand behind their work.....

- Chris J., Agra, US