ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.7

$1,040

1. replace condenser unit (15 reports)
  3. replace A/C compressor (8 reports)
  4. replace the condenser (4 reports)
  5. replaced hose and added an "upgrade" bracket (3 reports)
  6. replace hose and add "upgrade" bracket (2 reports)
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 152017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

There should have been a recall on the air-coil on these vehicle. I have had to replace 2 and I've only got 157000 mile on truck, all highway.

- John W., Louisville, KY, US

Aug 172018

Silverado 1500 5.4L

AC is now broken. I am frustrated and ready to trade the truck in. I take excellent care of my vehicles and have always owned a GM. I think that the AC issues should be a RECALL issue.

Aug 022018

Silverado 1500 5.4L

AC stopped working again, blowing hot air. Brought back to dealership, they stated I need to replace the condenser this time for an additional $1030.00. I told them not to bother. When I picked up the truck, the AC was blowing cold as they had put more Freon in it.

Jul 172018

Silverado 1500 5.4L

AC stopped working less than a year after replacing the compressor. Dealership said Freon was low, they ran die thru the system and could not find a leak. Got truck back and ac was running.

Aug 192017

Silverado 1500 5.4L

Brought my car to a GM dealership as the AC was blowing hot air. Was told I needed to replace the AC compressor. Reluctantly paid $1030.25 for the the AC compressor. I have a few other friends with the same model and year truck that had the same problem. Asked dealership if this was a RECALL issue, they said no. I was over my warranty and had to pay.

Jul 082018

Silverado 1500

no cool air so added freon, cooled and next morning HOT. scheduled for repairs and the condenser was replaced (or compressor too pissed off to remember the order). paid 735.00 for parts and labor, drive home with cool air, load kids up next morning and HOT. took right back and the compressor was replaced (or condenser too pissed of to remember the order). mechanic only charged for part no labor, felt bad that he didn't get fixed the first time. paid 425.00, drive home with cool air; next morning go to take kids to splash pad and HOT !!! WTF - so then I get on internet and start checking .... WTH ??!!! one complaint mentioned a lawsuit against GM.... guess I'm gonna have to google that - looks like maybe the next part to replace is the manifold hose and maybe a bracket. seems this truck has been nothing but trouble since I got it...

- Linda T., Newkirk, OK, US

Jun 282018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

AC took a sh*t at 122,000 miles. After researching problems on the internet and performing the DYE test, I found my problem was a leaking condenser (driver side). Unfortunately there are plenty of troubleshooting and repair videos on the internet. I am thoroughly DISGUSTED with GM as this is just ANOTHER problem with my 2014 Silverado 1500. The worst part is that there is a SERIOUS issue with the AC system PERIOD, from the condenser, lines and compressor, I can't wait to see what I have to replace NEXT!

Due to the multiple issues, transmission at ONLY 2,000 miles and GM DENIAL, only offer recalls on safety issues (NOT QUALITY, or lack of) my GM LOYALTY has ran out!

- chevydud2014, Cherry Hill, US

Dec 132017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

First, engine ran hot all of a sudden and warning came up engine oil low, check engine light came on and ran hot and then shut off. Called dealership and they had truck towed to their shop. Diagnosis- possible head gasket covered under warranty....but it was a supposed check

valve in radiator went bad and dumped engine oil into radiator.

They repaired it, said it was fixed, went to pick up truck and said I owed $1400 because radiator wasn't covered under extended warranty. Had to borrow the money to get truck back after fighting with dealership. Left and headed home and truck ran hot, AC started blowing hot air and shut down on side of interstate. Opened hood to find the clamp holding heater hose coming off engine was never put back on and hose came off and dumped all water out.

Now dealership filled with with water and not coolant. I put clamp on hose and filled with water drive home called dealership and sent pictures and told them AC quit same time it ran hot. I was advised AC problem wasn't anything to do with repair and I could bring back in for diagnosis. But refused to fix under warranty. I would have to pay around $1500 for them to fix it!!!

Called GM Complaint number and got a call back from a GM Repair Supervisor and he was rude and unprofessional and was told my warranty would not cover problem and wasn't caused by repair of replacing radiator. A $200 radiator cost me $1400 for them to replace and didn't tell me it wasn't covered until I picked up truck. Total BS and everybody complains about the Dealership. JEFF GORDON CHEVROLET in Wilmington NC

- Marvin P., Wilmington, US

Feb 152017

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

I hate that I have to take my time to complain about an AC problem on a 4 year old truck. I'm filing this compliant because the AC went out again on the truck a year later after the dealer had replaced the compressor and now wont fix it because extended warranty doesn't cover hose leaks. On top of that, they wanted to charge 900 to fix the leak. Now I have to deal with no AC in my truck in the beginning of July of 2018 when its the hottest time of the year. Not only that, they charged me 135 bucks just to tell me it was a leak and didn't specify were the leak was at. Now, to find that many other people are having the same issue is even more ridiculous. I hope Chevy takes care of this problem. If they do, they just might gain back a lot of their once loyal customers. I was even thinking of upping to a newer model, but now I'm not so sure.

- Daniel O., Riverside, CA, US

Sep 012017

Silverado 1500

GM needs to submit these A/C issues as a recall because obviously the part is faulty with this many complaints. It is unfair to make people pay hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for a defective unit. Maybe a lemon law attorney will help get their attention??

- melrieli827, Apopka, US

May 232018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

I wonder how many people had the same leak in the right side of their condenser. I sure hope GM gets off their ass and rectifies this problem.

- Randy D., Garden City, MI, US

Feb 012018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

I always was a Chevy person. I want GM to stand by this problem with my air conditioning. As I looked this problem up, I'm not the only person having this problem. There definitely needs to be a recall on this situation. If not, I will be forced to buy a different type of vehicle other than GM in the future. Please help.

- Wally C., Kimberly, WV, US

May 022018

Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L Flex Fuel V8

The air conditioning did not work - the dealer did the following: Heating and AC diagnosis Added 1lb Freon Installed 12356150 :N-Refrigerant DIAG. and EVAC and RECHARGE

This lasted 1 month and now it is back at the dealer and they had to order a part. We don't have any idea how much this will cost.

the GM AC Conditioner compressor and condenser lawsuit alleges the AC systems fail and cause owners to lose cold air which is exactly what is happening to our vehicle.

We don't feel we should be responsible for the cost of these repairs.

- bjohn598, Swartz Creek, US

Feb 012018

Silverado 1500 LT V8

The total failure of the unit the compressor, condenser and the hose is upsetting. How could the whole unit fail and the cost be this much? This is a new truck with highway miles only changed the brakes once so far. I maintain my vehicle and do a good job of upkeep. It is upsetting that this is a common issue and the mfg GM refused to rectify the problem, totally unfair. It is a 50K vehicle, this is BS.

- Manuel F., Fresno, CA, US

Jun 042018

Silverado 1500 LX V8

I purchase a 2014 Chevy Silverado in October 2015 and it just went over 22k miles and the a/c starts blowing hot air. I took it to the local dealership and they acknowledge that they have had many issues on this same model and it has all been the condenser unit and was told the bill will be over 1200.00 dollars. This is crazy that a fairly new trucks a/c will go out and I have to pay over 1200.00 dollars to fix it. I will be trading in as fast as I can and go with something else.

- randyhrh, West Monroe, US

May 172018

Silverado 1500 WT 4.3L V6

Well, add me to the ever growing list of A/C not working. Just like a lot of the other complaints, my A/C just stopped a few weeks ago. I went to this website and some others, and felt like throwing up. I'm wondering if this used Chevy has been repaired before on the bad hose for compressor to condenser. Yes, spent over $400 for a hose and a bracket today at a dealership. I already knew they were going to tell me that was the problem (due to internet research). The hose had to be ordered a week ago. Waiting almost 2.5 hours the work was completed. BUT, wait there's more!

NOW, the condenser is leaking, which will cost me nearly $950 more dollars and must be ordered from that intergalactic back order planet due to short supply. Duh, no kidding!! I flat out said I could not shell out close to another $1000 dollars at the drop of a hat. Plus if it were only the hose an bracket the dealership said that work is guaranteed for 12 months or 12,000 miles, not anymore due to the slow leak in the condenser. I have a sick feeling that this is an ongoing money pot due to defective junk. I was a Ford guy for years, and now regret the change.

- Edward L., Holland, IN, USA

Apr 132018

Silverado 1500 5.4L

Was told the compressor has gone out for the a/c, it blows hot hair but when mechanic looked under the hood, he discovered the compressor not working. After researching online it appears that there has been quite a few people having this same problem and discovered the part is on national back order. There needs to be a recall on this situation

- Charles B., Catlettsburg, KY, US

Apr 062018

Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 5.3L

I was told the condenser is leaking and the dual zone climate control behind the dash isn't working. The cost to replace both items is $2355. I have read many complaints about the condenser having a manufacturing flaw that causes all the coolant to leak out of the condenser and GM knew it but would not issue a recall. I have owned 4 different brand new GM trucks during my life and I am truly disappointed that I buy a brand new $45,000 pickup and can't trust it can last 3 years without a fail like this? Is it time to look at a different manufacturer? I think the dealership is a little over zealous regarding the dual zone module, but the condenser should be replaced by the manufacturer if they know the part is defective.

- Darin J., Kasson, MN, US

May 022018

Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L

I will never purchase another Chevy again. They're are hundreds of the same issue problem with the condenser going out on the 1500. Even after pointing this out to the dealer and Chevy, they did nothing about this and refused to acknowledge the defective part/problem.

This is sad for a 3 yr old truck that has been well maintained.

- jwhit32, Coeur D Alene, US

Apr 262018

Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L V8

Just bought the truck used. Then spring comes rolling around and boom AC not cooling at all. Not one bit.

- Jakob S., Washington, IL, US