2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 engine problems: excessive oil burning

Excessive Oil Burning

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

8.0

2. replace cylinder and manifold gasket (1 reports)
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

Nov 012019

Silverado 1500 High Country 5.3L

Purchased a 2014 Chevrolet 1500 High Country brand new from a local Chevy Dealer. My wife drives the truck daily and it has 54,000 miles on it now. Have been using % meter to change oil by. GM says 7500 miles. 15,000 miles previous she took it in for service (Parkway Chevy). Oil consumption down by 2 qts. Use only Mobil 1 Synthetic 8.5 qts. Changed oil again by % at 45% due to oil low light coming on. Mileage driven about 5K. 10/31/2019 was told low oil light on again at 70% oil life left. Added 3 qts. on 11/1/2019 was told to track oil consumption over next 1k miles. Truck is driven approximately 100 miles per week. I think this rate of oil consumption is ridiculous. Not pleased at all with GM and this product. Was told by Parkway Tech oil consumption is normal. BS! My daily driver doesn't eat oil like my wife's truck.

- Paul C., Spring, US

Oct 012018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

Shocked by how much oil this truck burns! After I had gotten my first oil change when getting the truck, I still had some time left before I was even due for the next oil change. But before that could happen I had to go buy 2qts to put in it, just so I could take it to the dealership.

- kapanka, Ft Stewart, US

Aug 172018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

I have always been a GM guy as far as trucks are concerned, but really upset with this truck $35K + truck that I have owned since June of 2015. Purchased with just a little over 6K miles and now has 85,967 Miles. Definitely a lot of highway driving as you can tell.

All oil changes done around 10 to 15% showing on oil life screen. Since my last oil change, it has starting consuming oil, a lot of oil. I found this out when light went on screen warning me that oil level was low at 52% oil life left. It needed 1 quart. I have since check at 35% oil life. It was 1 quart low again.

This is really upsetting. Was looking to upgrade in near future to a 2,500 but may look at another option.

- Tim S., Danville, US

Mar 082018

Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L

Have a 2014 Chevy Silverado with 54000 miles. Started missing, so I took it to GM dealer for repair. Tech found the cylinder wall on cylinder #4 was funnel shaped, normal tolerance at bottom but way out of tolerance at top of cylinder. He recommended a new motor, but GM rep said to just put in new piston and rings on that cylinder. It has not been repaired yet. The dealer has had it for over a week. Tech said their was nothing wrong with the rings or piston, just the cylinder, and new rings was not going to help. So here I am with a truck with a bad motor, tech saying one thing and GM rep not listening.

- Alfred J., Memphis, US

Mar 012017

Silverado 1500

If there are more complaints re: this, GM should cover costs. It leads me to not want to buy another Chevrolet again.

- melrieli827, Apopka, US

Feb 112017

Silverado 1500 LT

At 79k miles I noticed my 2014 Chevy Silverado LT was low in oil. I did add two quarts and waited for the following oil change to report it to the dealer advisor. Since then the truck has been consuming about a quart and a half per one thousand miles. At some point the engine light came on and after checking the deep stick I found out that the level was way low, almost empty.

At 102,937 miles the dealer started conducting an oil consumption data test. On January 15th 2018 and at 106,013 miles the oil level was low again having to add two quarts by the dealer- Rick Hendrick. After speaking to the service manager I found out that Chevy had issues on different models including the Silverado LT with extreme oil consumption. The service manager informed me that the cylinder gaskets needed to be replaced as well as the manifold gasket he also mentioned that GMC will cover the cost to do the job. We'll see!!

He asked that I bring the truck back at the beginning of February to get it fixed.

- Mike T., Naples, FL, US

May 172017

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

I bought the truck used with 35,000 on it and after driving 6,000 miles the low engine oil light came on. It took 3 quarts to bring the level back up to the proper level. This is unacceptable to use a quart of oil every 2K miles! I also own a 2002 Duramax with 248K on it and it doesn't use oil like this truck. Very disappointing!

- Todd G., Marcellus, NY, US

Sep 012016

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Burning 3.5 quarts every 1000 miles. Just had it worked on new rings, valves, etc, still did not fix the problem.

- Phillip H., Elkins, WV, US

May 012016

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

I HAVEN'T TAKEN TRUCK TO DEALER ABOUT PROBLEM, I FIGURE THEY JUST GOING TO BLOW IT OFF.

- Daniel P., Locust Grove, GA, US

Aug 252016

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.6L V8

The reason this is not fixed is the dealership is trying to convince me that oil consumption in my truck, up to 1 quart every 2000 miles, is normal and acceptable. Now this engine calls for 0w/20 oil and it is only available in synthetic at about $9. Using the computer to tell me when to change my oil (approx. 7500 mi) means I can expect to have to replenish almost 4 quarts of oil. At this rate what is the point of an oil change except the filter. I do not hold faith in the service letter that Chevy made up about this being "normal" and feel it is a cop out as I have owned 3 other Chevy trucks in the past and none of them used ANY oil between changes and I always use synthetic and went 7500 mi between changes. Any help solving this, class action suits, examples of what to say to get resolution would be appreciated.

- Tim L., La Porte, TX, US

Jun 022016

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L V8

2014 Silverado bought brand new in July, 2014. Never missed an oil change and have all receipts. Took a trip to Indiana on May 2016. Had my oil changed at 73,196 KM. One week after being home my oil light comes on and the dipstick is empty. The dealer has started a oil use test. I've used 50 % of my oil life (from what the percentage meter reads) and I'm already down a quart.

- eddyphall, West Kelowna, BC, Canada

Sep 012014

Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L

I have had at least a dozen new trucks, my 2014 Silverado is the only one that burned oil. GM's acceptable oil consumption policy is a load of crap. This comes from the same company that had an acceptable death rate from fires caused by defective ignition switches.

- Philip D., Feura Bush, NY, US

Oct 232015

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

My dad which past away always purchased chevy, so I follow his steps. I have had camaro, z28, etc. As I got older I got into buying trucks like my Dad. on this particular truck after having 3, i never recall having to add half or maybe a Quart of oil between oil changes. When i got this new truck i traded in the same model 2001 With 189000 miles, never did i have to add oil between oil changes. I am not a genius but obviously there is something wrong With my truck because a 53% of the oil life the oil level light came on in my dashboard. I was really surprised. i stopped at autozone. I started checking on my truck. I waited around 15 to 20 minutes, pull out the dipstick, I couldn't get any reading at all, no sign of oil on the dipstick at all. I took it to the dealer the next day and they were very " nice" and gave me a free oil change. They told me to come back when I run it for 1000 miles so we can test what the problem is. When I got home I waited 15-20 minutes because now I am paranoid about the oil. So I checked the oil again, guess what????? I couldn't get an accurate reading because this time they had put more oil that is required by the manufacture or at least to my understanding where the oil level should be. I hope they take care of this problem because I don't want to be another statistic. If they don't this will be the end of Chevys for me!! Other Chevy owners are having the same issue. I don't think I need to check the oil on a $45000 truck. Hopefully this could be solve because this will lead to other mechanical problems in the future

- Manuel J., Hialeah, FL, US

Apr 012015

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

My truck used 1 3/4 quarts of oil in 2000 miles. I was asked to drive another 1000 miles for a test which I did. It used another half quart. I was asked to drive another 1000 miles for further test.

I'm driving the damned truck just to put miles on it for the "test." Buying gas, putting on miles, wasting time. It would take too long for me to put 1000 through typical use which is light. I am so fed up with the response and their response in general to problems (seats moving when I turn) that I am thinking about trading it for a Ford. I have been buying new Chevy trucks since 1976. I may be finished with them.

- Mark J., Dearing, GA, US

Oct 102014

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

HAVE ONLY PUT 3700 MILES ON A 2010 CHEVY SILVERADO WE PURCHASED AND THE TRUCK HAS BURNED 4 QUARTS OF OIL. CALLED THE PLACE OF PURCHASE AND THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT'S GOING ON. SURE FUNNY NOW THAT I HAVE THE PROBLEM, I PUT IT ON THE INTERNET AND EVERYONE HAS THE PROBLEM BUT DO YOU THINK CHEVY CARES, HELL NO.

THEY NEED TO STOP SELLING THE VEHICLES UNTIL THEY CAN FIX THE PROBLEM. ALWAYS BEEN A CHEVY GUY BUT IF THAT'S HOW CHEVY CARES THAN WILL HAVE TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

- Joe M., Salem, OR, US