8.7

2. rebuilt transmission (1 reports)
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 052018

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L V8

This problem star 25,000 miles. I've been to the dealer many many times and they never resolve anything. They said they can't find anything wrong with it. It is really irritating.

- Gerardo G., Roslyn Heights, NY, US

Nov 132017

Silverado 1500 LS

I purchased my 2015 Silverado brand new in November of 2015. Ever since I got it the idling and transmission shifts have been HORRIBLE! The rough idling causes vibrations at any speed. Transmission shifts poorly at any speed as well. At about 25,000 miles I started noticing a chirp sound every time I accelerate. Taken my vehicle in about 3-4 times that have been documented and nothing was found. Took it in again late last year and was advised to take the service manager on a ride so he could hear it. No offense, I do not dispute that these service managers are a wealth of knowledge, but we all lose some hearing as we get older. He couldn't hear the issue and said he wouldn't even know where to start to look. My vehicle now has about 58,000 miles and I feel like the issue is only going to get worse, very discouraging. I have a 2004 Silverado with 158,000 miles on it that sounds and runs 100% better than this one does. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED! Wish GM would listen to our complaints as we well have similar ones.

- mhernandezca, Richmond, CA, US

Mar 192019

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L

The truck can’t seem to get out of its own way. If you mash the gas and then let off on it and then mash it again the RPMs will go up, but the truck will not move about three seconds later it will jerk and takeoff hopefully by then you haven’t been T-boned turning left through an intersection.

If you accelerate slowly from a red light it takes 3 to 5 seconds for it to shift gears it just shakes and wobbles until that shift takes place. Floor it from a stop and shifting gears it wobbles and either jerks into gear or slips horribly into gear.

I have called GM and they put the blame on the car dealership where i purchased the truck and in turn the car dealership puts the blame back with GM.

The dealership states they cannot reproduce this shifting thing on the computer in the service department I asked how many times they ran it through the computer and they said once I tell them that I get this crazy shifting about 1 to 2 times out of 10 and please repeat the test to assimilate driving conditions. that’s when they hold out their hand and asked me to pay for the test.

- luciusclay73, Bradenton, US

Jan 012019

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.7L V8

Tranmission should never have to be rebuilt at 75k miles.

- Kevin M., Aubrey, TX, US

Dec 262018

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

My vehicle shakes really bad and does not want to shift. Smells like fuel.

- sincere, West Covina, US

Feb 052015

Silverado 1500 LTZ V8

This is a very dangerous issue that dealers will not acknowledge as vehicle- transmission hesitates as braking and then accelerating again- causing vehicle to stop when accelerating from stop- caused wreck ... How do we get action from GM???????

- Michael M., Grapevine, TX, US

Feb 262015

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Ever since I bought this truck new there has always been a shifting problem. This problem occurs whenever I slow down to a fairly low speed and then accelerate. When I accelerate there is a hesitation for a second or 2. This is very annoying and could potentially be dangerous. I have contacted my dealer and he just says "that's the way they shift, no fix"??? Dealer also stated that the transmissions have a learning chip and shifts the way a person normally drives - that's total BS. I have had my truck for over 2 years and it still shifts poorly. Besides the above I love my truck very much, GM just has to fix this problem...

- Ed T., Bowden, AB, Canada

Nov 012015

Silverado 1500 LTZ Custom Sport Z71 6.2L

I've been researching hoping to find a solution to the 8 speed transmission in my 2015 Silverado LTZ Custom Sport Z71 with 6.2 l. It does the same as many others have described on here. The shifting is horrible, feels like its going to rip the drive line out at times. I've taken it back to the dealer at least 5-6 times, I've been told it needed to be reprogrammed, that it needs to get used to the way I drive, and poor gas. Finally the dealership replaced the transmission and this was great, my truck was driving and shifting like it should and then after a couple of months it went right back to doing the same thing, it even surges at times when you first put it in gear so you best have a good foot on the brake.

I'm at a loss now, I don't know what to do. I got a price to trade it in but it was going to cost me a great deal more and I honestly don't see why I should have to spend more to get a vehicle that is mechanically sound when my truck only has 15,000 miles on it. I love my truck, the 6.2 has excellent power but what happens when my warranty runs out.

I've watched and hoped someone would start a class action lawsuit against GM for knowingly selling vehicles with problems. Or have they fix the problem in the 2017's. I know some of the corvettes have the 6.2 motor do they have the 8 speed transmission also? If so do they have the same problems?

As for the lemon law, I'm in Louisiana and honestly not sure if that would work here. I just know when you pay 56,000 dollars for a vehicle you expect to have zero trouble out of it.

If anyone finds a solution please post it here for us all to see.

- Lando S., Anacoco, LA, US

Dec 112015

Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.4L V8

As with many other 2015 Silverado owners, transmission acts up. Dealer first says need to reprogram computer, next says need to adjust to my driving habits. Service manager told me he drove two demos that did the exact same thing. They all act like it's no big deal.

- Edward L., Houston, TX, US

Sep 172015

Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2L V8

I have a 2015 LTZ Z71 Silverado I bought in August of 2015. Since the beginning a few weeks after I bought the truck I noticed a hard shift on the transmission. each time I brought the truck in to the dealer ship for an oil change I let them know. They have tried everything to get rid of the hard shift. re-programming, re-diagnosing the transmission, re-programming the shift patterns. This last trip they replaced the entire transmission and the problem still occurs. The next trip will be the fourth attempt and and then I'll take legal action on GM. The kick is hard enough when it shifts that you feel like your getting rear ended from 3rd to 2nd. also you think your transmission will drop out it goes into gear so hard. For spending 51 k on Chevy's top end 1500 on the market I shouldn't have to deal with this type of issue.

Update from Sep 22, 2016: I am now at 23,000 miles, after the fourth and final trip. A GM rep came and re-programmed the transmission again. Of course after this the truck still shifts hard. I have now filed with GM and i'm working with a lawyer on the issue. The problem was not fixed.

- roaner33, Swansboro, NC, US

Jan 202016

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

the truck shift very poorly. it seems like it cant decide what gear to go in. also hear a loud clunk when coming to a stop. taking the truck to my dealer where i purchased the vehicle and was told by the text that there is a problem so he tried to reprogram the transmission which did not help. went back to the dealer and the service manager refused to look at it. took it to another dealer and they claim they couldnt get it to duplicate the problem. they have been giving me the run around since i bought the truck. i know that gm is aware of the problem because of all the complaints they have against them. i would like to know what can i do about a 50,000 dollar piece of sh*t that gm refuses to fix.

- Lonnie M., Columbus, MS, US

Jul 152015

Silverado 1500 2LT Crew 5.3L V8

Had back to dealer 4X it went from computer needs to learn my driving habits. That didn't work. To unable to verify concern. To reprogram TCCM. Back to could not verify concern. Dealer called GM tech assist possible torque converter or module concern and check for torque on stator bolts. Finally a diagnoses transmission removed and found loose pump stator bolts and leaking low reverse housing, found loose pressure diagrams in control module. Replaced torque converter. Tech wrote chattering during road test. And vehicle was given back to me and of course service advisor doesn't tell me anything but please give him a good rating. Drove home same problems and now have exhaust leak. Vehicle back at dealer today and now I'm told there's a bulletin and there's no fixing problem, it's a design problem. I think I gave GM the chance to make things right, next Lemon Law.

Update from May 12, 2016: To all who transmission proplems witn shifting and clunking. Gone back six times to dealer got all the usual bull about transmission computer has to learn driving habits not. They finally pulled it apart and found loose converter bolts some diaphragms sticking and a bunch of other sh*t. Guess what still have problems. After bringing it back to dealer they laid the bulletin on me and i took it from them and went home and called GM. Went back and forth for about a month even sending me to another dealer with same results . I had to show them the bulletin. Well got the decision from GM they consider this normal operation and not a safety concern. Straight out of the mechanics mouth its a design problem and it can not be fixed. So Gm has known about this and they did not disclose this to us so filed for lemon law this week. Thanks GM great way to treat a family of GM employees from the Tarrytown plant .

Update from May 24, 2016: After going back to dealer 6 times finally was told there's a bulletin. Gm states these transmission problems are considered nomal operations. So if they have known about this for quite a few years. So they did not disclose this to the buyers. Great job thanks gm and by the way you can keep your trucks built in Mexico. Have filed Lemon Law.

- skasper, HOPEWELL JCT, NY, US

Jun 012015

Silverado 1500 High Country 5.7L

I bought this truck from Arroway Chevrolet in Mt Kisco NY. After driving the vehicle, I noticed that the transmission was shifting erratically and clunking.It felt like the torque converter was banging back and forth. Also at low speed between 20-30 mph the vehicle would buck. The minute you accelerate to try and compensate, the transmission clunks and the truck lurches forward. Vehicle has been returned to dealer 3 times so far all with negative results. The third time I took a test drive with the service manager and lead technician and both duplicated the problem and acknowledge that there was a problem but that GM does not have a fix. I did contact GM but I have received no response. They did however contacted the dealer and offered tech support which produced no results as I still have the problem . Going back to dealer on 9/17/15 for fourth time. We'll see.

- fquinones, Mahopac, NY, US

Mar 282015

Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L

Transmission is horrible at shifting. Slips when up shifting and doesn't know what to do down shifting. Up shifting is so bad it will rev the engine when shifting, at 5500 RPM this doesn't seem good. If you are going to pass someone, better plan ahead, it is anyone's guess as to when it will down shift and to what gear. Not sure why the accelerator pedal has so much travel when the transmission only uses the top half. It will max out RPM at half throttle.

2000 Silverado 4 speed worked far better than this junk.

- Andrew H., Alexandria, MN, US