CarComplaints.com Notes: Since the Chrysler 200 first hit the streets, owners across the U.S. have complained about how their “dream car” quickly turned into a complete nightmare because of how the engine dies suddenly while driving.

8.4

2. coolant system flush (1 reports)
  3. new blower motor (1 reports)
  4. replace heater core (1 reports)
2011 Chrysler 200 AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler 200:

2011 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments

Dec 082017

200 LX 3.6L

I have heat on the driver side but none on the passenger side (blows very cold air).

- , Newbern, US

Dec 202017

200 LX

This has been reported elsewhere previously, but I'm having the exact same issue.

Starting about 2 weeks ago I noticed the heat wasn't as hot as it should be, just warm. This week it's not warming up hardly at all...perhaps some warmth from the driver side vent only...none on the windshield, none on the floor and none on the center or passenger vents either.

On the interstate, it's even worse. The temp dial doesn't get about the C line, and the air turns chilly. Every now and then there will be burst of warm air, and as soon as it does you have to defrost the front window with cold air because the heat doesn't work up there at all.

I'm having to wear a coat, hat, hoodie and gloves to go anywhere. Thank God I have heated seats to keep my hands warm :)

As you can imagine, being the week before and now the week after Christmas, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this on my own or without dropping $1,000 at the dealership.

- , O Fallon, MO, US

Nov 202017

200 Touring 3.6L V6

I just purchased this car 8 days ago. At the time our weather wasn't cold enough to show this as a problem and somehow in my search of this car I missed this problem. When traveling down the highway the temp gauge dropped to between the COLD and the first quarter mark. The driver's side has very small amount of heat while the passenger side was freezing ass cold. I realize this may encompass more than one problem but as I see it you can't separate one from the other.

It is my understanding that Chrysler is full aware of this problem. The car was a great deal at $4,500.00 and I expected a few problems. This is a very serious and expensive problem from what I am able to read. IF anyone could please share their experiences, things they have tried to fix it or any other helpful info this very tired old vet would be most grateful for any assistance. My old car bit the dust and I must have a car to travel to and from the VA hospital and I love the car.

We have hit winter in the mountains of VA and no heat isn't an option. Let say that in town the temp gauge works fine and I have all the heat needed, ONLY going down the road with the temps below 60 (the lower the outside temp the colder the car - both sides) at 60 to 70 miles per hour is very bad. I could get ugly here but that won't help. I am just sick over this and I know in our state we have a 30 day clause concerning purchasing a used car without any disclosure of something of this magnitude. As I stated at the beginning, I doubt anyone picked up because we had unusually warm weather for this time of the year and it wasn't till Monday night the 20th returning home from Richmond, VA a 138 mile trip (one way) with the temp at 36 degrees outside. It felt like it was 0 inside the car.

One last note the coolant looks like crap and appears to have soap in it and the tank is full to the top and enough bubbles for a bubble bath.

- , Lynchburg, US

Dec 302015

200 Touring V6

In December of 2015 (car was 4 years old) my heat stopped working well, and when the weather got colder I noticed that the heat was not blowing warm air on the passenger's side. I took the car in and they opted to replace the Heater core (covered under my extended warranty) and also did a maintenance coolant flush (which I paid for).

It fixed the problem. However, less than 2 years later I am experiencing the very same issue AGAIN... No heat on the passenger side. After doing my research it is clear that this is a common (and expensive!) occurrence with Chrysler vehicles like mine, and it is evident that this will continue to be an ongoing problem as long as I have the vehicle. This is not only inconvenient, uncomfortable, and expensive to have fixed, but it is dangerous when the passenger side windshield/window does not defrost.

The root of this issue needs to be found and a recall should be in place. Clearly, something is not right.

- , Wellsville, US

Dec 092016

200 Limited V6

Heater stopped blowing hot air on the passenger side. Dealership had for 3 days and advised me the heater core was failing and needed to be replaced. My powertrain warranty won't cover so I gave them the info for my bumper to bumper warranty through USAA. USAA requested the dealership do a pressure test. Test came back the pressure is fine and now USAA wont cover has a mechanical issue. NOW the service department is saying there's sludge in the coolant. They are trying to insinuate that I put in some sort of stop leak that would cause this. Why would I ever??!! Just a quick search on the internet proves this is a known issue with the Chrysler 200 in that year (2011). This has to do with coolant added by the manufacturer. Why hasn't Chrysler recalled this?????!!!!!

- , Bremerton, WA, US

Nov 072016

200

This is the third time I had to take my car into the Dodge/Chrysler service center in Beloit Wi, for the same previous issues - The heat not working properly and Again for the third time their techs tried stating again there was nothing wrong with the heat. We had to go to the service department and show the service tech and the manager what was wrong with the vehicle.

- , Rockton, IL, USA

Dec 282015

200

The issue was this was the second time my car was taken in for service for the heater not working properly. And like the first time this happened, at the Dodge Service Center in Beloit Wi., the techs tried to state there was nothing wrong with the car. We had the go back and show the techs our-self what was wrong with the car.

- , Rockton, IL, USA

Feb 242016

200 Convertible 3.6L

We purchased our car 2/4/16. Not even two weeks later we lost all heat. Took it to shop. Oil cooler leaked oil in radiator and heater core had to replace under warranty. Flash forward to 10/24/16.... Radiator leaking took to dealer had to replace brand new radiator side split.... Left garage to drive home only to find out again no heat. Took back today 10/31/16 only to find out the heater core is yet again clogged up. My warranty expires in 9,000 miles and then I'm going to have to pay for this again.

The insurance adjuster has told the dealership Koons Chevy of White Marsh Maryland that is is a constant reoccurring problem. My question is why doesn't Chrysler recall this. I was told because it is not a safety issue. Really? I want answers from Chrysler. I am about ready to dump the car even though I love it. I am angry this is now the third time in 7 months for related items and lemon law does not apply. All I want is a fix and dealer to take responsibility and If this will continue buy my car back and get me into another car.

- , Red Lion, PA, USA

Dec 182014

200 LX 2.4L

A known issue, plugged heating core in Chrysler 200's that shows up as cold air on passenger side. Most times, a proper, thorough, with coolant cleaner will fix the problem to at least 75% heat on the passenger side. If a proper flush WITH cleaner is done, it will take all the sludge and materials that caused the heating core to flush away. You MUST flush the whole coolant system or sludge and the materials inside will work their way to the heating core again. In Canada, I spent $250 for a garage to flush the coolant system and heating core with cleaner I bought in their store (Canadian tire) and it worked well. Probably close to 100% heat for me on the passenger side. The driver side was never really an issue - however, there are cases where the sludge eventually got so bad the entire system was compromised.

- , Bradford, ON, Canada

Oct 072015

200

I rated this problem as Awful because Winters in CO are cold with no heat and no defrost to clear the windows and side mirrors. (Let alone DANGEROUS in Snowy/Icy Conditions) The Blower Motor is made of Plastic. It typically would have been over 600 dollars to fix it all , but I found a Mechanic outside of the Dealership, and purchased the new Blower Motor at a Auto Parts Store for half the price. I had a 2002 Dodge Neon SXT prior to this Car, and never once had a heater problem.

- , Fountain, CO, USA

Nov 012014

200 Touring V6

hot air in driverside vent only

heater blows hot air on driver side vent only. dealer tells me heatercore is restricted. engine coolant rated for 100000 thousand miles. should NOT be happening car has 77000 miles on it. really pissed! looking for help from Chrysler. any suggestions? dealer wants 1300.00 dollars to fix. REALLY!

- , Jackson, NJ, USA