ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.2

$1,090

1. replace tipm module (22 reports)
  3. repair TIPM (2 reports)
  4. replace tipm (1 reports)
2008 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012018

Town & Country LX 3.3L V6

The vehicle just shut off while driving on the road. If that happened on the freeway I don't know what would of happened. It honks, windshield wipers go on and water is being sprayed all together at random times and theirs NO WAY of shutting them off unless I disconnect the battery or let it go until the battery drains! This is very dangerous and don't understand why their hasn't been a recall! Someone is going to get killed one day!

- deanda, Modesto, US

Dec 162016

Town & Country Touring 3.6L

We have been dealing with this problem for over a year now. We noticed it first on a long trip with the family... Ever since December 2016 the problem started getting worst, the wipers come on by themselves, the door locks lock and unlock by themselves, the TIMP makes a bad sound as there's a short circuit somewhere. We are unable to power the vehicle off and sometimes the vehicle turns off while on the road. The horn goes off by itself going down the road.

- Chrome M., Troy, VA, US

May 012018

Town & Country V6

I am disabled and rely on this vehicle for my main form of transport for me and my wheelchair/ electric cart.

Had electrical problems September of 2017 but the vehicle hasn't been the same since repairs.

- Thomas S., Milton, FL, US

May 102017

Town & Country Touring V6

I have a 2008 Town & Country and nearly got my wife killed. Driving down I-94 at 70 mph in the passing lane with heavy traffic and the car quits. No steering, no brakes, no anything. Took it to my local garage and since it would not do it for him he could not fix it. It has quit numerous times in town or on country roads where it is less dangerous. We want to make a trip to my son but are afraid to drive it on the highway. All the lights start flashing, the heater fan comes on and off by itself. Can't defrost the windows unless the fan decides to work. Chrysler refuses to give us the time of day let alone help with the problem. Chrysler wants to replace the TIPM for $1,800 but won't say that will fix the problem..............duh!

I do not have money to throw away and it is a dangerous problem, my wife could have been killed not to mention anyone else on the road she may have hit. We are afraid to take our grandkids anywhere with us as the car is dangerous.

- Louie J., Mattawan, US

Aug 252017

Town & Country Touring 3.8L

Randomly what we call the Phantom comes to our Van. Horn Goes, wipers run turn signals. Van goes haywire.

- Nicholas J., Johnson City, TN, US

Aug 012017

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town and Country, the wipers come on by themselves and simultaneously the dash lights come on, the car dings and the gauges go to zero. Sometimes the horn will begin to blow and last several minutes, while this is happening the car will not shut off even if you take the key out of the ignition. I am seeing many complaints about this and yet Chrysler will do nothing about it.

- Angela C., Pardeeville, US

Mar 152017

Town & Country V6

Our 2008 Chrysler Town and Country has the same problems as many other have mentioned. All the electrical components going off (horn blowing, wipers, lights flashing). It happens randomly as I'm going down the road or when I open the door, or unlock it with the key FOBs. Most times there's a check engine light with codes that talk about low power from the PCM / ECM and replace ignition switch.

Due to recall we've had the ignition switch and FOBs replaced, but it's still happening. I've also had the PCM / ECM replaced and it's still not fixed. Even after replacing the PCM, the codes read the same. I have found that when the van starts acting up, pop the hood and locate the TIPM (black box on right side of the engine) and I slap the top of it and it all stops for the moment. That leads me to believe it's the TIPM, but based on others' comments, replacing that won't fix it either so I may not do that. Also, the front blower fan tends to cut on and off randomly while the back blower fan is fine. I

've replaced the blower fan motor, blower fan resistor, and the head control unit (twice) and still no fix. I've been told the front blower is routed through the TIPM, while the back blower fan is on a direct relay. Can't direct relay the front because it'll turn on the check engine light. In other words, another one bites the dust and Chrysler gets their money!

Update from Aug 20, 2017: So far, I've had the PCM and TIPM replaced and this has fixed the issue. It would usually start again the next day or so after clearing codes from old TIPM. It's been like two weeks now with no problem at all...We shall see!

- fulmerjl, Fayetteville, US

Aug 042017

Town & Country Touring 3.2L V6

One possessed minivan and two terrified bawling babies. My whole neighborhood is awake now. Chrysler needs to nut up and fix their TIPM problems before one more faulty vehicle is sold!!

- Kate B., Port Angeles, US

May 182017

Town & Country LX

I started the car and the wipers, hazards, and seat belt alarm went off and would not stop. I could not operate the window or door locks. I took it to the dealer and was told the TIPM module needed replacement and it would cost around $1200.00 to replace. I have not driven it since and I'm paying a car loan and insurance for a vehicle I can't drive. I've seen the hundreds of complaints and don't understand how or why Chrysler isn't recalling the vehicle for this repair.

- Susan V., Brick, US

Jul 242012

Town & Country Limited 4.0L V6

Chrysler has a design problem with its TPIM supplier and does not want to admit it. The TPIM was put inside the hottest part of the car (engine compartment) without any heat shielding.

*This design coincided with the same time frame as when Chrysler mad an internal edict to "take $1000" out of every car. Many design decisions were made to cheapen their products (mainly in trim packages) but long term supplier relationships were abandoned for the"cheapest supplier".

My problem (key click/no start) started after I moved to a southern (hot) climate. I was on the beach one 90 degree day the first time it happened. Now, every time the outside temperature is above 80 degrees it happens consistently. So far, I have been able to reset it by shifting to neutral, then back to park and it will start on the first or 2nd try/cycle. I thought that it might be the Neutral-selector switch in the transmission but was able to eliminate that and confirm the TPIM. Within the last year, it's getting worse and now I will randomly lose my Tire Pressure Monitoring function. After a restart, that works fine too.

With all of the problems on this item, it is only the politics of Chrysler, the UAW and judges that are friendly to them that keeps this from being a system (all models) recall.

- Jim W., Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 192017

Town & Country Touring 3.8L

Stupid Chrysler TIPM ! Seems that they they are well aware of this defect in their vehicles but will do nothing. Outrageous price to fix!

- spad, Cinnaminson, NJ, USA

Feb 012016

Town & Country

For over the past year, my 2008 Chrysler Town & Country has experienced several electrical problems. The vehicle can be parked with keys out of ignition or I can be driving down the road and the horn will start blowing along with the wipers and washer fluid spraying. The power sliding doors will work occasionally and when they don’t the windows will not operate. The light for the traction control will come on and off.

The radio will act up. Several times it will turn off and on as well as the C.D. player will jump around to different songs each time I start the vehicle. The blower motor will quit working which is dangerous in winter weather when trying to keep windshield clean.

- Mark M., Lexington, OH, USA

Dec 302016

Town & Country LX 3.3L V6

The tipm has already been replaced twice. Once via recall and The car would not shift or start when out of state and was replaced. car has also stalled in traffic and all of the airbags deployed when driving in town in Stillwater Mn. in July of 2010.Had this happened 10 minutes sooner I would have been on the freeway and probably a nonsurvivor. Airbags were replaced but I still have a scar on my left arm and my daughter an small grandson was with me. The only reason I have not sold this vehicle is because I have nightmares of a family with children buying it. I like lemons just not this one.

Update from Mar 22, 2017: Went to state van and windshield wipers came on also a/c.. car would not start. I disconnected the new battery and let the van sit for a week. When I reconnect the battery The wipers and Ac came on and all the dash lights but the car would not start. I am retired and have no way to get it in for repair or if it does this away from home I,m left walking.I can't sell it knowing a family could end up dead. Are there any lawsuits pending on this vehicle.

- Mary E., Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Nov 302016

Town & Country LX

I am at wits end. I cant afford a new TIPM and the vehicle almost killed me as power shuts down at 50mph. Vehicle has 57K miles and its basically dead now as I cant pay the obscene cost of a clearly DEFECTIVE part. And this is a disgrace that Chrysler is allowed to risk peoples lives with these defects.

- cmdale, Allentown, PA, USA

Jul 312015

Town & Country Touring V6

The tire system wouldn't register the tire pressure. It would read check TPM. Major World said the tire air pin needed to be replaced. I gave the ok to replace, The problem still existed.

Major Worlds suggestion, you need to replace the module. Ok, fix it. When the job was done another air pin indication went of. Major World said i had to pay for the replacement. I contest. When i brought it to you the problem was with the rear passenger side wheel. It took determination and insistence and they had to admit mechanic error, they concurred.

It still wouldn't register. Major Worlds mechanic said i needed to drive on the highway or faster for 20 minutes straight. It worked for two months.

Are Chrysler manufacturer making certain who carries their name or do they even care.

- Sheila Y., Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 242016

Town & Country Touring 3.6L V6

The van has been in 5 times at RothRock now for electrical issues. It all started with a brake light that stayed on... Week of 6/14/16 drop off van for brake light issue, recall on wireless Ignition module, alignment, and programming of VES system for newly added DVD screen. Recommended the TIPM be replaced. After replacing Brake light was still on. Then recommended replacing the brake light switch. 7/7 finally get van back 7/8 take van back to get the VES System working 8/5 dropped off van for alignment that was never done during the June repair 8/31 Started to have issues with Headlights going out while driving; earliest they could get the van is 9/6 9/7 called to say they could not get to van 9/8 called to say it was the TIPM wiring harness 9/9 called to order TIPM wiring harness part; spoke with gentleman Tuesday 9/13 called to confirm that the TIPM wiring harness part was ordered; it was not; waiting on call back from Corby; initial proposed date was 9/26 but I stated we needed the van fixed before a road trip Week of 9/19 pick of van from dealer 10/2 van lights started shutting off again. 10/5 drop the van back off; but they are not able to get to it. told that it is another connector to the TIPM that was loose. finally fixed on 10/10. 10/15 van shuts off entering the highway with all the idiot lights coming on, horn honking, and wipers going. Thankfully it comes right back on with everything turning off. 10/20 headlights start shutting off intermittently 10/24 son goes out to the van to get it for his ride to school (it was a wet morning as it had been raining) the horn starts blaring, the wipers start running, and the lights turn on. Hitting the key fob does not turn any thing off. Can not start the car. I disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I reconnect the battery and the car seems fine. My wife starts the car and within a few seconds of starting the horn starts blaring, wipers, idiot lights, etc. She turns the key and pulls it out of the ignition but the car stays running. This time when I disconnect the battery nothing happens (car stays running with horn blaring). I then start pulling fuses which works. 10/24 849am call Rothrock and leave messagge 10/24 905am corby calls back and refuses to hav e the van towed; i request a call back from the manager 10/24 1027 I call in after not receiving a call back and leave a message with the service manager 10/24 248pm I call in again after still not receiving a call back and leave a message with the service manager 10/26 203pm I call in again after still not receiving a call back and leave a message with the service manager; I post on google maps review asking what I need to do to get service

- David E., Allentown, PA, USA

Dec 012012

Town & Country Limited V6

Had this problem for several years now and took it to the dealer many times but they could never duplicate because it happens randomly, so they could not fix it.

- wipers going off

- sirens blaring

- washing fluid splashing

- door locks going up and down

Also, car keeps stalling randomly (but not sure if this is related to the TIPM)

- jgalvez, Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jul 182016

Town & Country Touring 3.8L

WE WERE TOLD WE HAD A FAULTY TIPM ABOUT A YEAR AGO. WE BEGAN HAVING ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS SUCH AS LIGHTS FLASHING, WINDSHIELD WIPERS GOING OFF AND ON IN PARK OR DRIVE, DINGING NOISE CONSTANTLY LIKE YOUR DOOR IS LEFT OPEN. WE GOT AROUND THE ISSUE BY UNHOOKING BATTERY AND USING REMOTE START.

CHRYSLER HAD A RECALL FOR A FOBIK WHICH WE GOT REPLACED LAST WEEK AND THEY REFLASHED THE SYSTEM. NOW THE VAN IS UNDRIVEABLE, IF IT WILL START. SOMETHING CONSTANTLY RUNS THE BATTERY DOWN. ALL THE SAME ISSUES ARE BACK AND WONT SHUT OFF: FLASHING LIGHTS, WIPERS ON, LIGHTS FLASHING, AND DINGING. ALSO THE SLIDING DOORS WON'T OPEN AND THE SEATS WON'T WORK. ANYTHING ELECTRICAL WILL NOT WORK. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I WENT ON LINE TO SEE THAT THIS IS A TYPICAL ISSUE WITH CHRYLER AND BELIEVE THIS FAULTY PART SHOULD BE RECALLED.

- Cindy G., Mount Juliet, TN, USA

May 182016

Town & Country

I own a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. It was so fine that we got a 2007. Then we got a recall for the new key ignition. So we called a garage in our area and waited for over a year to have it put in. Well, I wish I never would have done it!!!

I wanted to know what the recall was for so the mechanic told me its because when going down the road the switch was shutting off. So I thought thank goodness this hadn't happened to us.

2 weeks after the new switch was installed the problem started. I was driving and the horn just blew all on its own. I thought well I must have bumped it even though I know I didn't. So I told my husband about it. then another week later. I am sitting at the school to pick my kids up and the horn blows and this time the wipers swish I thing dam WTH!!!! I tell my husband about it and he now thinks I'm nuts, because it hasn't happened to him.

After 3 or 4 times my problem went from bad to worse. I went out (HOLDING the keys IN MY HAND.) one morning to take kids to school. I hit the unlock button on the key and all hell breaks lose. The wipers are flying 100 miles an hour, the horn is blaring, and then out of no where keys still in my hand the van starts and it does NOT have a self start!!!!

I put the key in and try to shut it off because at this point my neighbors are ready to kill me. It wouldn't shut off, so I called my husband who was on his way home from work after working all night and I let him hear what was going on. He got home and the only way to stop it was disconnect the battery.

He called a garage and was told to leave the battery disconnected for 10 minuets because this sounds like an electrical thing and 10 minutes should reset it. So he does it. I now won't drive it because its a POS!!!!! But for 2 weeks it seems to have been fixed. He was driving it. I needed to drive it again this time the it was over an hour from home. Kids in van I head out. Gets us there ok.

On the way home going 55MPH down the free way it STOPS!!!!! and the horn, wipers are going back up lights are on. I am now stopped in the middle of the road with 2 kids in the van and my van is acting like it is possessed.

I am so pissed at this point that I want to take this van and drive it so far up Chrysler ASS!!! I got it home with 2 kids who are now terrified to get into any van!! I call the place that put in the new switch chewed them out!! Because I am convinced that this would have never started had we never had the new switch put in. Thats when he tells me it's sounds like the thing that isn't there fault and it will cost me 100 bucks to find out and when they find the problem to be this as he called it "brain of the van" it could cost up to 15 hundred dollars to fix it and this may not even really fix it.

What the hell! I'm not made of money. So my PIECE OF SH*T VAN is now sitting in the drive way with the battery undone because it will just go off all by itself. I refuse to let this be my fault and something I have to pay for!!!! My kids are still scared after a month and after reading on line it could start with my 2007. So when this hurts or god for bid kills someone when will something be done?

- Becky B., North East, PA, USA

Nov 012015

Town & Country

Our 08 T&C that we bought new and maintain regularly started going crazy as we drove down the highway one day. Horn blaring, wipers moving, fluid spraying on the windows... Continued for quite some time. Problem got worse and now the door locks go up and down, the dash lights flash, the headlights and brake lights flash, a/c-heat doesn't always turn on, and car doesn't always shift. Been impossible to get a diagnosis since it doesn't always do it. Very scary driving my family of seven around! We have has the transmission rebuilt and the converter replaced as we were told that was a main problem. After my own investigating I have found the TIPM to be a very common problem. What a shame that Chrysler would put its consumers safety at risk and refuse to do anything about it.

- Julie R., Cincinnati, OH, USA