ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2011 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems: TIPM failure. would not start

TIPM Failure. Would Not Start

2011 Chrysler Town & Country (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chrysler dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.1

$960

1. replaced TIPM (22 reports)
  3. replace TIPM (18 reports)
  4. bypass fuel pump relay in TIPM (6 reports)
  5. replace external fuel pump relay (4 reports)
  6. repair TIPM (2 reports)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler Town & Country:

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 032018

Town & Country

This issue started in 2015 with electrical issues only involving the battery. We had it in shop a few times, each time they fix things but not the actual problem. These were annoying issues but wouldn't keep us down for too long. This current issue which is now just dangerous and ridiculous has been going on for over a year.

I began coming back to the car only to find windows rolling down or doors or back hatch opened wide. So now I can no longer run several errands at a time, because I can not leave anything valuable in the vehicle in case the doors decide to open. Also, while driving, the dash board, the radio, the air conditioner, all things electrically ran will just shut down. Nothing turns back on nor can I accelerate the vehicle until it clicks back on seconds to minutes later.

I have 4 children and we both work full time jobs. We have a very busy household and this is very disappointing that a van which is known for being a reliable family vehicle has given this many headaches. Its clearly not a wear and tare and it should have been recalled through out the Chrysler brand.

- Stephanie R., Lafayette, LA, US

Aug 282018

Town & Country

On August 28, 2018, went to start the vehicle after shopping and the van would not start up. Sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't. It ended up starting up, but the issue with starting became intermittent and a safety and dependability concern. Took the vehicle to a local automotive shop and they recommended taking it to the dealership, they believed it was a module issue, they said fuel filter and fuel pump looked fine. Had vehicle towed to the dealership, probably could've got the vehicle to start up after several tries but wasn't sure what was wrong with it and didn't know if it would just stop while driving. Once vehicle got to the dealership they kept it to diagnose, called us following day and told us they would need to replace the fuel pump at a total cost of $843.

They called on Saturday, September 1st to let us know it was ready for pick up, got to the dealership and started the vehicle up and the same problem persisted as to when we dropped it off in the first place. Today, September 4th we received a call from the dealership saying that they placed our original fuel pump back into the vehicle and diagnosed it with a TIPM failure, the cost will increase to $1,111.00. The vehicle is supposed to be completed tomorrow. My main concern is that many Chrysler products have had TIPM issues, why hasn't this been recalled??

Other Chrysler products that are 2011's, but not Town and Country's, have been recalled for this issue, why has this petition been denied. I really wish more people would do their due diligence and report these things, it could save many of us this hassle and also save the consumers money....and most importantly, make Chrysler stand behind their product!!

- Holli G., Bowling Green, OH, US

Jul 242018

Town & Country

All TIPMs should be replaced. They're all crap. Engine won't start, lights go crazy, batter drains, fuel pump burnout, alternator burn out, engine dies... This van is an accident waiting to happen.

- Sherwood G., Gilbert, AZ, US

Aug 192018

Town & Country

We were without a vehicle for 3 weeks while techs tried to solve this problem. First they told us it was the engine, so we had that replaced and it still had the same no start issue. Then they told us it was a crankshaft sensor so we had that replaced and still had the same issue. Finally they figured out it was a faulty fuel relay and our van was good. We spent over $5,000 resolving this issue and it would have been $1100 more if we had replaced the TIPM instead of just bypassing it!

- Matt A., Kansas City, MO, US

May 172018

Town & Country Limited 3.6L V6

Chrysler continues to install the TIPM despite serious safety issues spanning more than a decade. Chrysler and the NHTSA (which denied the petition to investigate stalling engines, or randomly deployed airbags, due to TIPM failure) do not give a damn about the consumers, the affect this has on them, or their lives. Of course, it's all about the almighty dollar. They're worse than politicians, scum at the bottom of the barrel.

- Jennifer D., Hockley, US

Apr 182018

Town & Country

We had issues with the van not wanting to start right away. Figuring it was the battery, we went and bought a new battery. The issue got worse. So I took it into the dealer. They kept it for 48 hours telling me they could not figure out the issue. Finally after I told them to do an "alternator" test on it, have the vehicle running and then disconnect the battery cable, they were FINALLY able to get some code readouts on the vehicle isolating the issue. I was able to get the vehicle started and took it home as I did not have the money at that time to repair it, and now it is sitting in my driveway, will not start, and I have to have it towed to the dealership to have it fixed. This should have passed the recall and I will never buy from Chrysler again!!!! Furious I owe $11,000 on a vehicle requiring such an expensive repair.

- Mellissa G., Lapeer, MI, US

Mar 232018

Town & Country Limited-L 3.6L 6v

I purchased my van approx. June of 2014. By 12/15/15 I had the TIPM replaced by a dealership. the cost of the part was covered under my extended warranty however it still cost about a $1,000 in other expenses. Now in 3/2018 I need my TIPM replaced AGAIN!!!! I do not understand how there has not been a recall on this defective part!!!!

I started having electrical issues with my van a few months ago, having to fight to get it to start at times, having to have it could be jump started. Having my sliding door & back hatch only open automatically on occasion. Having left my van closed & locked to return to one or both sliding door(s) being open. My radio turning on and off by itself. My heat/air cutting in and out at random. My sliding doors & hatch would close on their own, usually as ine of the kids was getting in or out. My RPMs would surge then drop causing my van to lunge & act as if it were going to stall. The TPMS would randomly flash that 1 or more tires were low, to full, or completely flat even though the tires were/are fine. the blind spot detectors would occasionally flash "unavailable" or "service".

There was occasions when the park assist system would do the same thing as the blind-spot detectors.Then the problems progress on 3/23 when I went to start my van & found that the remote start had not worked, then discovered that I had no power at all to the van, I couldn't even unlock my van. About an hour later I got it to start with no problems.

When my husband came home about 2hrs later it again started just fine, no issues. It ran for a little bit while we inspected everything to see if there were any obvious signs of what could've caused a complete loss of power. We nothing obvious & all seemed okay. So we took the van to go get our kids from school, when about 7miles down the road my battery light became illuminated. We decided it was probably best to leave the van running as we got the kids.

My husband again took a look at it as we had about 20 miles to drive one way. Again all seemed fine & he assumed that the battery just needed some time to charge(although he knew it was unlikely he was trying to be hopeful). We made it to our destination with the battery light, traction control, air bag, & seat belt lights all illuminated. I turned it off upon arrival & restarted it which resolved the lights on the dashboard. When we went to leave to go home, we again couldn't start the van. We were able to get a jump start, again it started right away once connected.

We sat there with it idling(we couldn't go anywhere due to traffic) until the battery, traction control, ABS, air bags, & seat belt lights were all on. we turned off everything that was drawing power & attempted to roll up the front windows to no avail. We made it about a block and a half before it stalled on us in the middle of the road with cars all around us. Luckily it was a through-road and not a normal road. We were able to eventually get it to jump start & barely got it home.

We went & purchased a new battery since the 11-month old battery we had "went bad", we drive it about 3miles(round-trip) to see about getting the alternator tested(to find out they cant test it) & to drop it off to a shop, they had closed already. So I went back home, I got in into my driveway & less than an hour later I once again could not start it. We decided to leave it be after checking the battery terminals & all belts, until the next day when we could get it to the shop. We attempted to jump start it to no avail & had to have it towed to the shop.

On 3/27/18 We were informed that it is ONCE AGAIN the TIPM!!!!!!!! Luckily the TIPM is only $500(+$110 labor & $190 reflash), not $1000(before labor & reprogramming) like we were told by a dealership. Again, doesn't include all the extra expenses.

This is so unsafe!!!!! The vehicle can & will stall on you, no matter what speed your going. Your personal items/information can be stolen due to the doors & windows opening on their own. I cant tell you how many times the doors have closed, by themselves, on my kids, my husband, or myself. Chrysler needs to correct their mistake & issue a recall & reimbursement to all of us who have paid out of pocket for any expenses related to TIPM issues.

I am very aggravated that Chrysler is not issuing a recall for this WELL KNOWN problem!)

- rick.kay.4life, North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 152017

Town & Country LX 3.6L

How is this not a recall when it seems like every Chrysler with a V6 has this issue?

- amishguy, Oshkosh, US

Nov 272017

Town & Country Touring L 3.6L V6, 220ci 3604cc

11-27-2017 - Cold morning w/ frost on the vehicle. Went out to warm up the car and the vehicle would not start. It would begin to turn over but stop immediately. This isn't a battery issue since I just had a brand new one installed about 2 weeks ago. My wife has complained about this issue for a few months but this is the first time I was able to verify it myself. It took about 5 cranks, before it would start (normal). Worked fine throughout the rest of the day too.

Another damn Dodge/Chrysler van with electrical problems. Geeze. This WILL be my last Dodge/Chrysler since they refuse to ever recall KNOWN design issues. :(

- Lee P., Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 052017

Town & Country Turing L V6

• CVT transmission

On 10/5/17 in the morning went to start the van to go to work. Battery was dead. Took battery out and started van with wife's car battery because I could not even jump start it. Returned battery to local auto parts store and swapped for a new one since it was under warranty. Drove to work all was good, the next morning went to start van and it cranked but would not start. Finally got it started and drove to work.

When I left work in parking lot same thing happened this time only got it started with remote start. Called warranty company and they said to take van to service department where I bought it. Took it there in the morning later that day, they called me to let me know the van was ready. I asked what was wrong, they said they had to reprogram the computer because of the dead battery the first time. When I got there told them I was in to pick up my van, a minute later, they come back with my key telling me the van won't start that they needed to jump start it. Got the car home next morning I decided to go to work in my wife's car, but told my wife to start the car at mid day and at about 5pm before I got home. Everything was good this was on a Friday.

Saturday morning I wake up to start the van and guess what cranking but not starting. I called warranty company, they told me to take van back asap to service department without calling them. I did what I was told as a good boy I am. Had to leave vehicle again. They called at mid day to tell me that the van needed a new alternator, that they would call me on Monday. Never received a call that Monday, let things be for a day so I decided to call them Wednesday only got mailbox of service advisor which was full. Called warranty company and they decided to take matters into their own hands and called the guy three times the next morning and finally got a hold of the service advisor. The warranty company asked why they haven't called for an approval? So the warranty company approved the part right there.

Later that day the service department called that the van was ready. Picked up the van, all was fine again until later that week Thursday van was acting up again. I decided to give the warranty company a call and asked to have it serviced at the dealer they approved it since the other guys did not know what they were doing. Took van to dealer this morning as soon as I described to the service advisor at the Chrysler dealer what was going on and showing them a video I took of what was happening. They told me right away that it was a TIPM problem. They had a van there same year same problem and had the same warranty company and was all approved. I am happy I decided to get an extended warranty for this van. It is so worth it.

My two cents. Guys when you buy a used car always get an extended warranty. Expecting a call next week from Chrysler dealer to pick up my van, which I know will definitely be fixed.

- Benquik C., Hollywood, US

Sep 202017

Town & Country LX 3.2L V6

I bought this van used from my regular Toyota Dealer since I was not able to buy another Toyota because my wife lost her job. We bought an extended warranty from them covered by UAL. We had a few issues where Toyota gave us a hard time to cover the repairs under the warranty but it was fixed. Then one day the car would tumble constantly and not start.

Took it back to Toyota who gave me a hard time then they took to a Chrysler dealer. Chrysler then told me that the battery is dead and they need to replace it at $330. I said hell no and took it back out. I bought a new battery and it started but by the next morning, the van's battery was dead. I charged the battery and took it to my local shop. They finally found the issue to be the TIPM. I called the extended warranty vendor and off course it is not covered.

I called Chrysler and it will cost in excess of $1400 to repair. The guy told me they have a lot of these issues and its not a recall. Talk about ripping people off blindly. Now I have to out of pocket this expense to what seems like a clear warranty or recall issue. Thank you Detroit made vehicle. Allowing the Japanese cars to out shine them again.

- Ricky R., Jamaica, US

Aug 232017

Town & Country Touring

This has been the worst minivan i have purchased since 1992. I will not be purchasing another minivan from Chrysler.

- Anthony W., Mount Clemens, MI, USA

Aug 012017

Town & Country Limited

We needed a bigger vehicle for our expanding family. I'm a constantly on the go mom, so naturally we chose a van. Both my parents and my in-laws have a Chrysler Town & Country (prior 2010) and I have always like them. So naturally we bought a Chrysler Town & Country. We bought a used 2011 Limited Edition and for the first two and half months it was great. All of a sudden the day before we are about to take our son on a road trip to see a baseball game the van won't start. We had to get it taken to our mechanic. We thought it was the fuel pump. Fixed that for around $600. Thought the problem was fixed. Started up once! Spent over 20 minutes in 95 degree weather trying to get it to start again! Got it taken back to the mechanic. He found out it's likely the TIPM as it has been known to cause these kind of problems. He doesn't have the tools to fix it. Now I have to get it taken somewhere else to try to fix it. I NEED my van. Not only do I have work, but I have a child in school and I am also in school. On top of all that I have a one year old that I have to have with me most of the time. I don't live close to a bus stop either. I'm screwed for a LOT of things without a working vehicle. I have seen MULTIPLE people complain about this same issue on the Town & Country and yet there is still NO recall!? I CANNOT afford a rental car to use, not to mention the price tag I have been hearing to fix this stupid TIPM is well over a grand! I don't have that kind of money either!

- Desiree M., Rockledge, FL, US

Aug 252017

Town & Country Touring V6

Ridiculous design, seems to be a major issue in several models. Not sure why this isn't covered in a recall of this model.

- Justin W., Millstadt, US

May 152017

Town & Country Limited V6

Several complaints about this component malfunctioning. Earlier petitions have been denied however, even if replacement is an option, how can I be sure the new TIPM will not malfunction in the future.

- Erin N., Pembroke Pines, US

Mar 192017

Town & Country Touring L 3.5L Flex

Van died in retail store parking lot. Battery was dead, installed new battery, no start. Prior to this for several months, car would shut off immediately after starting unless remote key fob was used to start the car. So far, have bypassed fuel pump relay, which allows van to start if a jumper is used, but not a permanent fix. This is a known issue for many years, and the recall for the van's was up UNTIL 2010. However, 2011 through 2013 Durango and Cherokee have been recalled for the same reason.

This TIPM issue needs to be recalled for the 2011 through 2013 model years as well. If I have to purchase a new TIPM, it will cost over $600 just for the part, and I may need to pay a dealer to reprogram the car. I already had to purchase a $150 battery and due to some complication, a $200 alternator and the car still does not run. I cannot afford the $1200 minimum cost to take it to a dealer for repair, and I have been without my car for a week now. This is wrong in every way and Chrysler needs to take responsibility for this problem.

- Melissa R., Winsted, CT, US

Jul 152016

Town & Country LX

Had countless occurrences where the car would not start, shut off while driving, burned out the fuel pump, ($1,150 repair), New battery, have a bypass on now i have to changed every few months. Fuel pump relay is stuck in the one position, so i have to open the hood anytime I stop. Can not keep car in Idle or the bypass will burn out, overall I am told $1,500 to fix, but no part available.

- Jesse P., Jacksonville, AR, US

May 202014

Town & Country Touring L 3.6L V6

2011 Town and Country Totally Integrated Power Module is expensive. I took my van to Advanced Automotive and their scan said it was the fuel pump, but the woman who read the scan said most likely it was the fuel pump relay in the TIPM fuse box. From there I jumped the relay, but recently, like today 2/10/17 I found 1000's of people having the same problem. I then researched a further and found a much simpler repair to the $1200 problem. TIPM Repair, Test, and Bypass Solutions for 2007-2014 Dodge/Chrysler Vehicles https://youtu.be/HcV5oAF1hM0...Good Luck, money is undeniably Americas most dangerous addiction.

- Ray S., Brooksville, FL, USA

Nov 262016

Town & Country V6

I have a 2011 Town and Country. I had a bad fuel pump relay. I also had times where the locks would lock and unlock. The fuel relay IS EXTREMELY dangerous. Came without a warning, my van just "cut out" at 55 mph on a busy road. VERY DANGEROUS to have it go like that here in So. Florida., drivers will not "forgive". Anyways I went the nuclear option to replace the whole TIPM. I just did not trust replacing the fuel pump relay...alone...as I did not want to see other issues popping up down the road...like windows and lights. SMH. Chrysler....when are you going to step up. 1250 dollars to replace a 5 dollar fuse and solder job. SMH again.

Bypassing would probably have fixed this but I could see that all components are fair game to crap out.

Please post and get the message out if you have this issue. It almost killed me sad to say.

- Joe L., Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 132017

Town & Country Touring L

When I start the vehicle, it turns over and keeps turning over. It doesn't start.

- Beth L., Ormond Beach, FL, US