ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2011 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems: TIPM failure. would not start

TIPM Failure. Would Not Start

2011 Chrysler Town & Country (Page 2 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chrysler dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.1

$960

1. replaced TIPM (22 reports)
  3. replace TIPM (18 reports)
  4. bypass fuel pump relay in TIPM (6 reports)
  5. replace external fuel pump relay (4 reports)
  6. repair TIPM (2 reports)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler Town & Country:

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Feb 132017

Town & Country Touring L

When I start the vehicle, it turns over and keeps turning over. It doesn't start.

- Beth L., Ormond Beach, FL, US

Feb 042017

Town & Country Limited 3.6L V6

click to see larger images

TIPM failure. would not start

Van stopped running. Engine cranks with starter but will not turn over. Fuel pump not running or able to be heard. With help of web search and YouTube found troubleshooting advice, test jumper & bypass jumper part. Jumper confirmed failure as Fuel pump relay integrated to TIPM. Bypassed relay and got vehicle running. TIPM rejected as part of larger class action lawsuit against FCA, but failures are no less a PIA than in vehicles that were included. Estimated cost to have unit replaced in a shop is $1,200. Repair for the do it yourself mechanic $3-500 for parts. Search YouTube for. TIPM repair and video from J. Bell for detailed troubleshooting advice. It got my vehicle running for less than the cost of a tow while reviewing permanent fix alternatives.

- Keith W., Ephrata, PA, USA

Nov 212016

Town & Country Limited 3.6L V6

Vehicle started off randomly cranking over but not starting or starting up and then suddenly the engine would stop. We would then push the button to start again and it would eventually start and stay running. It has been getting progressively worse until it would not start anymore. It will just crank over and not start.

- jaag82899, Rockford, IL, USA

Jan 202017

Town & Country

So have had this van for 2.5 years. Last week it started giving me trouble starting. Thought was odd. Now I can't remote start and takes up to 15mins and 20 try's to get it to start. Ready to trade it in at this point. Never knowing if it will start when I have to go to work at 5am and then trying to go pick up the kids from school. Chrysler really needs to get there sh*t together and recall the TIPM mod..

- Danielle G., Monroe, MI, USA

Dec 012016

Town & Country Limited 3.6L

A few months back, my battery died (it was fairly new). After replacing the battery with a new one, I noticed there was a constant sound coming from the back of the car even when the car was turned off - turned out to be the fuel pump continually pumping. After disconnecting and reconnecting the battery a few times, the constantly running fuel pump issue went away.

Fast forward a few months and my car starts having trouble starting. It randomly won't turn over - sometimes taking 10-20 tries before it starts. Eventually it won't turn over at all.

After looking online and finding a shitload of other people with the same issue, I discovered the TIPM "faulty fuel pump relay" issue with the Chrysler vehicles - including mine. I rigged a cable to temporarily bypass the fuel pump relay, and now it starts every time just fine. For the long term solution I will now need to pay to have the TIPM module replaced.

This is the last Chrysler brand car I will buy - it's one thing to have a problem with your vehicle you build (all car companies have issues), it's another thing to know that there is an issue and give a big "f*ck you" to your consumers by refusing to address the known issue.

- Aaron H., Chandler, AZ, USA

Oct 102016

Town & Country

In June of this year I had to replace the factory battery, a couple of months later I would have to make many attempts to get the car to start, sometimes it would cut right off after starting and sometimes the starter would continue to turn over but the car wouldn't start. On 3 different occasions the car actually cut off while driving ( losing power steering and brakes). After the third time, I took it to the Chrysler dealership, they kept the car for 2 days and claimed they could not find a problem. I did research on google and saw many others with the same complaint. I decided to send my TPIM to www.verticalvisions.com. I mailed the TPIM the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, received an email on the Saturday after that the repair had been completed which was the fuel relay module and received the TPIM back on that Monday. Only 5 days without the use of my car and it has now been nearly a month and no problems at all. The cost was only $255 and Totally worth it.

- Kara B., Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 292016

Town & Country

We have a 2011 town and country. We took it in for what we thought was a fuel pump issue but after spending a couple hundred dollars to fix the issue we now find out it is really the TIMP. I called Chrysler to open a case and was told that she had never heard of this issue. I was also told that I can't believe everything I read on Google. On top of that I was told that they can't help me because we haven't shown brand "loyalty" because we bought the van used and did not originally use their repair shop or buy a warranty through them. Their repair shop will definitely "reward" our "loyalty" by charging $1200 to fix. I just LOVE how hard they try to instill loyalty in their customers.

- trauch2, Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 142016

Town & Country V6

Unbelievable that they are aware of this issue and will only fix certain vehicles, while leaving the rest of us stuck with the high cost of repairs! Thanks Chrysler!

- lmkehoe, Kings Park, NY, USA

Nov 012016

Town & Country

Chrysler is about to have yet another law suit against them for a faulty TIPM! why can't they just recall this part they must see by now THEY ARE AT FAULT! Consumers should not have to $1100 to $1500 to repair the module (TIPM) when its faulty from the beginning!

- tuberville, Perdido, AL, USA

Nov 102016

Town & Country Touring 3.6L

If this failure had occurred while driving it could have put myself and my wife in danger. The 2011 Town & Country failed to start (did not know it at the time, but it was due to a failed fuel pump relay). AAA towed us to our Chrysler dealer in Port Clinton, OH. Chrysler dealer diagnosed it as a bad fuel pump. Chrysler dealer had to pull the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump. Total cost $884 with a 10% discount coupon I found on the internet. Picked up vehicle. Drove 5 miles, turned off car for 30 minutes. Same symptom occurred when I tried to start the vehicle, cranked endlessly, but failed to start. Vehicle towed back to dealer-Friday afternoon..

I searched on the internet that night and found http://www.verticalvisions.com/TIPM_solutions.php . I purchased a fuel pump relay bypass jumper/diagnostic light. It arrived on Monday. Asked the dealer to hold off on any repairs and went in Tuesday morning. My diagnosis was that the fuel pump relay was bad (not connecting power to the fuel pump). Installed the jumper to provide power to the fuel pump from an accessories (cigar lighter) position and the vehicle started and ran. Left the jumper installed, left the dealer. Dealer wants to replay the Total Integrated Power Module (TIPM) which is the fuse box and 2 other circuit boards with relays including the fuel pump relay, for $1500. I will likely buy a TIPM rebuilt with relays (fuel pump and others known to fail) for a lower price.

Update from Nov 17, 2016: If this failure had occurred while driving it could have put myself and my wife in danger. Update: The fuel pump relay failure could have turned off the vehicle while driving. My wife and I could have been in grave danger due to the loss of power steering and power brakes.

- Jerry F., Put In Bay, OH, USA

Sep 052016

Town & Country

Our van has died multiple times, leaving us stranded in multiple places. Finally we gave it to our mechanic two weeks ago and said, "Keep it until you can figure out what's going on." This has been going on for two days shy of a full month, in and out of the shop, so it has definitely been a pain (not to mention the money for tows, "fixes" that didn't fix it, troubleshooting, etc.) Now that they have finally diagnosed the problem as a defective totally integrated power module, I type it into Google and am not even surprised this is something Chrysler Town & Countries are known for. I will NEVER buy another Chrysler. As soon as we get this piece of crap paid off we're going to get rid of it and get a dependable vehicle.

- Heather P., Christiansburg, VA, USA

Sep 142016

Town & Country Touring 3.6L V6

The TIPM burned up the fuel pump and tanked my battery - to make matters worse within a month the "repaired" TIPM did it again.

- Patrick B., Alvin, TX, USA

Oct 172016

Town & Country

The issue began with our van frequently requiring more than one attempt to start the engine. This progressed until we were unable to start the van at all. I feared it was a bad fuel pump and the local dealer came up with the same diagnosis. After a few days we were informed that our van was ready to be picked up. We arrived at the shop the next morning only to find that the car wouldn't even start. Apparently our town and country had a bad TIPM which caused the fuel pump to burn out. Total cost for the TIPM, fuel pump, and labor was over $1600.

- William H., FayE, NC, USA

Sep 102016

Town & Country V6

Mechanic says will cost $1200 to fix. Been without my vehicle for more than a month. How annoying it is. Now told part is national back order. Really!!!

- svargas, Lumberton, NJ, US

Sep 092016

Town & Country

The car only had 50,000 miles on it when the TIPM failed and had to be replaced.

- Tom D., Oak Creek, WI, US

Jul 222016

Town & Country Limited 3.6L

My Town and Country left me stranded. It just wouldn't start. A week with the dealership before they could get it to repeat the issue. I replaced the TIPM...$1200.00!

Seems like this is a big enough problem that there would be a recall for this repair. How many people have to have their cars stop in traffic before Chrysler orders a recall! Vans carry families! Do they really want a law suit with America's youth involved? Wake up! If you want to remain an American Icon for the motor industry, you have to stay loyal to the American families that buy your products. Do the right thing! Fix all the ruined vehicles before the lack of quality makes us buy foreign.

- Paula P., Mebane, NC, USA

Sep 132016

Town & Country Limited 3.6L

Took 2 years for the problem to finally be solved. Took it to get checked after throwing code ( 4 times) while it was under warranty and was never able to get correct diagnostic. New spark plugs will fix it ( not under warranty) Nope New Battery that will fix it Nope. Fuel pump is bad that will be $700.00 nope.After seeing all the reports of faulty TIPM why couldn't Chrysler acknowledge there was a problem ( Nope can you say Lawsuit) so we could avoid throwing money away. I have to say we love the van but this will be the last dollar Chrysler gets from me.

Rant off

- Scott F., Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 082016

Town & Country Touring 3.6L

just bought 2011 town and country 5 months ago with 65000 miles. Thought it would be a great vehicle. about 2 weeks, the van failed to start, acted like it was out of gas, I had it towed and was told that the TIPM and fuel pump needed to be replaced was quoted $2300.00. I was able to drive it back to dealership from where i bought it. They told me it was just a bad fuel pump, I had that changed ($650.00). Problem persisted!!!! it starts better but am still having misfires, cranking with no start etc.. it has also died while driving a few times although less frequent after new fuel pump was put in. I can get it to start by turning key to on (no cranking) then off, then on and off again. Then it starts almost every time. In some cases the RPMS will seem to spike upon starting and then it will drop like it wants to puke out but won't. Then it runs fine. is it the TIPM, fuel filter, starter, bad battery ARRGGG!!!

- Joel F., Sherwood, WI, USA

Sep 012016

Town & Country 3.6L

Had the entire fuel pump replaced first, which only made the not-wanting-to-start problem worse (though it should have made no difference). 3rd trip to the shop it was finally diagnosed as a TIPM failure. If there really are this many failures on this overly expensive component, sure would be nice to have a recall or warranty extension on just that part (similar to what they did for the left cylinder head on these models)

- Joe B., Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 222016

Town & Country 3.2L

For six weeks the van will not start 30% of the time. Van has been to dealer service department 3 times. Each time they turn key, it starts. Service manager said you must bring it in when it will not start to do a diagnostic test to seen what component is causing the problem. On June 22, 2016 van would not start. Had it towed to dealer. Van gets to dealer, and it starts. Service dept. said they cannot tell what part is bad; but they think it is TIPM and fuel pump relay. Warranty company covers electrical problems but will not pay because they say service dept is not sure what part is verified bad.

A class action lawsuit for the Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Durango TIPM was successful over the faulty TIPM.

With millions of vans having this problem, Chrysler will not do anything about the problem. Will not buy another Chrysler auto again.

- freightdawg, Augusta, GA, USA