2008 Dodge Grand Caravan brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 012018

Grand Caravan

Takata recall. The airbag light is on and will not turn off, the horn does not work and the cruise control does not work. I was told it was the clock spring which is recalled on all other vehicles but does not show up on mine. This needs to be changed.

- Kinder, LA, USA

Jun 152009

Grand Caravan

The brake system on this van is a constant problem and is costing us thousands of dollars in repairs. The brake system on this van is running very hot even on cold days. The brake pads and rotors fail prematurely and the wheel hubs fail from constantly overheating. The ABS starts feeding too much pressure to the wheel calipers and causes the brake pads to constantly touch the rotors which creates excessive brake pad and rotor wear as well a overheating of the grease in the wheel hubs which causes them to fail. Nobody should have to replace brakes every 7,000 to 10,000 miles. This is a factory defect in the design and Chrysler is not going to do anything about it because it will cost them too much money.

- Westlake, LA, USA

Aug 112018

Grand Caravan

Vehicle stalled intermittently going down road, dash lights flicker on and off, windshield wipers turn on intermittently, radio not owrking, windows not working, locks not working, all dash lights now not on, gas gage not working, RPM not working. Vehicle is currently not driveable.

- Homer, NY, USA

Jun 282017

Grand Caravan

Have had my 08 van for a few years and everyone in awhile the alarm will sound wipers won't stop going. Has happened while driving car stalls looses ability to steer and light go off which at night make it really hard to see. My alarm and all other action combined happened at work while I was inside tried to turn off with fob had to unhook battery still didn't stop. I have 4 kids and this is what I have to drive them in we have went into a ditch and got stuck in a 4 way took to mechanic no codes no problem only this was. Was told by dealer the could not diagnose it unless it did it to them I am at a lose I have to drive to get to work my kids have to ride to go to sitter I am so afraid we are gonna die in this van.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Jan 162018

Grand Caravan

01 /13/18 the very first morning I had it I worked at 6 am about 5 mins into driving 11 degrees! the traction light came on without me pushing the button. Then a eps w/ des lite up"? they both went on by themselves as well. Also the roads were not wet! this continues every morning despite the temperature. Up to current day 01/16/18 we received a dusting less the 1 inch on the ground. I pushed the traction button on despite that me and my 3 children slid into a mail box thankfully slowly! had to be pulled out due to in not starting up and stuck.. this van is loud and runs behind, kind of stutters..it went through a half tank of gas in 1 day! there is at times but frequent we can smell gas." Also this van started acting to the point of almost stalling out!

- Waynesboro, PA, USA

Jul 292017

Grand Caravan

Several times the horn began sounding a long blare, the windshield wipers came on, the washer fluid started spraying, the doors locked, and the headlights and rear lights began flashing, all lasting several minutes. It began while driving and continued after I stopped the car, turned it off, and removed the key. The symptoms worsened about a week later when all of the above happened as well as the gear shift indicator lights began flashing, the stability control light came on, the check engine light came on, the bas light came on, and then the car shifted itself into neutral. This has happened several times and has become more frequent.

- Conway, AR, USA

May 122017

Grand Caravan

Tipm electrical problems ? (1)the engine stalling while driving, dash flashing, eps/bas light and (ABS) light coming on with traction control light too then van dies or shuts off.also mileage and prnd display blinks rapidly.this happens when sitting still or driving.seem's to happen even when engine is cold or hot on the city streets or highway.(2)my van has had 4 or 5 battery's that have went bad, also sometimes it wont start, I get a jump start, go get the battery tested at auto zone but there's nothing wrong with the battery, (3)horn works but if you need to honk more than 2 times it stops working but later it works, sometimes it wont start and you take the key out and open the door then close the door and you can start it. Also lately it has been harder to start.also you can't play the radio without the motor running it will run the battery down? but the 1st year I had the van 2011 I could run the radio all day long with only starting it up for about 5 minutes every hour.also cruse control works then stops working.these things have happen over and over, in a 7 year period sense April 2011.I believe it is a tipm electrical problem.can you send me a new one I am a veteran one a small disability check sleeping in the van.there is a video of the problem on youtube.I did not know there was a problem with the tipm. I though I was playing the radio too long, or the alternator was going bad but the alternator never showed bad in any test or has not stop working.so it was the tipm (fuse box)going bad all the time.thanks to youtube, see at- 08 Grand Caravan tipm on youtube.com ? also a video at 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problems 2014 03 05 2019

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 202017

Grand Caravan

I am contacting U because I have a 2008 Dodge Caravan and it will shut completely off in the middle of the highway U have to turn it off and on again for it to drive. When it shuts off nothing work the windows dont go down the stearing wheel will lock.

- Marshall, TX, USA

Feb 012017

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

The clock spring in my Grand Caravan failed and causes the bas and esp system to apply brakes randomly before failing and offering no traction control. This happens each time I start driving forward and is worst when going from a stop sign around a turn.

- Dover, DE, USA

Nov 182016

Grand Caravan

Bought this van in Aug. 2009 loved it at first..then things started happening. Would hesitate while driving, never die on me but still feels like it will sometimes.. steering wheel has locked on me several times. Different panel lights come on and go off since day one. Have changed brakes way more than should of been necessary..other repair to brake system. Had power steering line changed. About 6 months ago, panel lights started coming on more often, then the gauges wouldn't work, wipers come on and won't stop. Headlight flash on and off or don't work at all; turn signals work on and off, power locks come on and off, can't roll windows down or up from drivers side or lock or unlock doors.everyday it gets worse. Took it to Dodge dealer 11/2016 cost about $100 to tell me, its not a call back and not related to the ignition problem, and in my passed complains they had didn't have any of these problems listed, even tho I had told them about them before. So because control lights had went off at that time they couldn't do anything. It was probably an electrical problem and the last time they did one it too about 10 hr.to find the problem. ($128 an hr) I can't afford that and I think Chrysler should stand behind their cars. Now for the last 2 weeks all of these things stay on and continue to do it all. Low mileage 81000 always taken care of, now I'm 70 yrs old and have a van that I'm afraid to drive...this happens while driving and sitting still.

- Lake Station, IN, USA

Oct 282016

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

While driving down the road the van loses complete power--steering, brakes. Electronic stability/traction control light comes on. Very scary/dangerous situation. With my 2 year old in the van!! I can usually pull off to the side of the road without any power steering or power brakes. After getting the van to a stop and shutting off the ignition, the van will fire right up and not have any problems for maybe a few days. Then it happens again. Today getting it to the side of the road and turning it off became a bigger problem when the van than didn't want to turn over it would act like it was going to and than not this persisted for 25min and finally turned over as I remained pulled over on a hill with my son in the car not a safe situation I have had it in the shop numerous times to try and diagnosis with absolutely no luck and for them to make me feel like I am making this up!

- Victor, NY, USA

Jul 292016

Grand Caravan

Tipm completely failed, locking my transmission in "limp mode" and also affecting doors and window controls. While driving on the hywy I loss speed instantly making it necessary to pull onto the median to prevent accident.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 022016

Grand Caravan

When driving the vehicle I've had the esp/bas and trac light come on and the vehicle will shut down. I've had it to the shop twice and they can't get it to replicate what it's doing. The car just shuts off--the power steering is gone, I can't accelerate or keep moving at constant speed. The car is completely off and control is barely possible. It can happen anywhere, including at stop signs, driving along the road, the middle of an intersection, which makes it a severe safety issue. This has happened multiple times both city and open road as well as when parking in a spot.

- Morningside, MD, USA

Mar 112016

Grand Caravan

While in motion, the van will completely lose power for no apparent reason. There are no warnings, strange sounds or any indicator that it is about to shut off. The car just shuts off--the power steering is gone, I can't accelerate or keep moving at constant speed. The car is completely off and control is barely possible. It can happen anywhere, including at stop signs, driving along the road, the middle of an intersection, which makes it a severe safety issue. Once it is in park, it can be restarted, usually aided by pumping the gas, and then it goes on as if nothing happened. However, shifting into park isn't always an option when you are driving in the middle of the road. The check engine light does not come on, so no error code is produced. It has been taken to a dealership service center twice, but the problem is intermittent and cannot be duplicated easily, so they don't know what to fix, tell us nothing is wrong and send us on our way. It is alarming that they don't give more urgency to finding a source, considering that the car turns off while driving. Our ignition switch/key have been replaced after the recall, which we were hoping was the cause of the problem, but it was not. It is still occurring. I have done an internet search and it seems that this problem is not unique to me. Other drivers are experiencing the same issue. Minivans often carry children in them. If this problem were to occur in a busy intersection, the results could be devastating. I urge you to seek a solution/source to this problem quickly! I wish we could simply go buy a new car to keep our family safe, but unfortunately, that isn't our reality, as we are still working to pay off this one, so we are hoping the problem will be researched and resolved promptly. You are welcome to use our van to do so!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Caravan

I was just getting onto the street and was just maybe going 10-15mph, when the vehicle traction control and stability control and ABS lights came on and increased acceleration and pulled to one side when the dash lights mentioned came on. Also sounded like brakes were being applied at same time. I was barely able to make it to dealer without being in am accident. The clockspring had to be replaced.

- Somerville, AL, USA

Nov 172015

Grand Caravan

I have had my car in many times for horn blowing, wipers and washers going, all lights going off at night ( I could have been killed) blower not working, car not starting, doors not closing. It has cost me several thousand dollars in repairs and the last time I was told the tipm computer would fix everything. The car computer was already replaced. The car was on the highway at 60mph and also at stop lights. This all happened over several years.

- Bethlehem, CT, USA

Oct 082015

Grand Caravan

Within the past several weeks on driving vehicle 2 block, my warning lights came on relating to esp and the traction control light indicating upon evaluation by a private mechanic that attention was needed in the steering column mechanism (air bags?), and traction control sensor "idiot" light appeared causing vehicle to grasp the pavement more than usual, my tires appeared okay, and I was advised that when the esp light comes on, traction control is automatic...please send me verification that this is a recall issue. I plan to have my vehicle towed by aaa to scott robinson Chrysler, Dodge in torrance and would request coverage of my rental vehicle for one week.

- Playa Vista, CA, USA

Oct 102015

Grand Caravan

Driving down the highway, engine stalled, horn was blaring with no way to turn it off, wipers at full speed and couldn't stop them, car wouldn't start back up. Engine light and gas light(not empty) are now on.

- Fulton, NY, USA

Mar 022013

Grand Caravan

A need a recall on tipm part which controls the engine which turns it on and off. Now a recall is due>becauase it is the issue with vehicle because now the ealerships are saying it is the issue or what is causing it to turn off.as a Dodge owner of a Grand Caravan, from the time I brought the vehicle there were issues. First it started with the vehicle turning itself off and did start back. So the dealership fix it. Then it was the brakes and rotors on the front end. Fix, repair, issues again, then issues again. So many other issues with this van later on. But I decided not to complain to Dodge company.. boy do I regret it now..it's been almost 4 years now, I still have issues with the engine cutting off while driving. This has gone on for awhile, then recall come out saying it's the engine switch, so now we are waiting on the it, still... when I have did some research and ask some people with computer knowledge on vehicles and they say by the engine cutting off while driving can cause issues with the tipm part (computer). I have taken it so many times to the dealership for this reason for the engine shutting it self off, they would brush it off it's the battery, got new battery then it happen again. Then took it back again, no engine light on, then they can't diagnose any issues. Now warranty is out.. still no part for the recall engine switch.... 2015. Now that the engine is still shutting it self off, dealership is now saying its the tipm part which is 1200. Or more... I believe it has been the issue the whole time, so Dodge needs to have a recall on this part before someone is kill... I worry about it happening to my family.I have three children. It's our only vehicle.. as of today still no part available.call Dodge - no help from them. They need to have a recall on the tipm part before its to late.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Mar 242015

Grand Caravan 6-cyl

My wife was driving the minivan today around 6:45 am. She was dropping off our daughter to school. Her speed limit was 25 mph. 2 times, the traction stability control lit up in the dashboard. The engine stopped, brake was not working and steering wheel cannot be moved. Both times, she was able to turn on the hazard light to alert any vehicles behind her. Luckily she was not traveling fast and the vehicles behind her were slow. Both times she had to remove the key and reinsert it and restart the minivan. She was able to restart the minivan. This is the 2nd time that this happened. Our dealer have open appointments 6 days from now. This is a dangerous situation that others are also experiencing. Below is a link of complaints... www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/grand_caravan/2008/brakes/electronic_stability_control.shtml.

- Gainesville, GA, USA