9.3

$280

2. replaced the egr valve (4 reports)
  3. change ignition switch unit (1 reports)
  4. replace ignition (1 reports)
  5. win sensor replaced (1 reports)
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 132019

Grand Caravan LS

Since September 2018, my 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan has started randomly (and unexpectedly) turning off/stalling/stopping while driving.

It happens at any speed, any temperature, any gas level. 3 separate mechanics cannot reproduce it or offer any solutions for fixing.

Sent a complaint in to Chrysler today; hopefully they will have some ideas. It's a safety issue - at one point I was going with the flow of traffic during Rush Hour!

Open to ideas/suggestions for repairs.

- Kari S., Grand Rapids, MI, US

Jan 022019

Grand Caravan 4.0L

The car has shuts off many times while driving within the first mile, normally in the neighborhood in the morning when going to work. Once it shuts off it is good to go. I have taken it to Dodge, but it is not repeatable and works fine for them. It is infrequent and there is nothing consistent. I seem to have all the electrical items working like Air/Heater blowing, radio on. I normally pull over, steering gets tough due to the lack of power for power steering and restart and go back on my way. Any help would be helpful, since the mechanics at the local Dodge dealership can not find the issue. It happened today, and my friend placed a reader on the connector under the steering wheel and nothing was recorded.

- Milton M., Glen Burnie, MD, US

Jan 112018

Grand Caravan SX 4.0L

My daughter was driving one day and complaint of hard steering wheel and restarting this van. Took to my regular workshop. Was not sure and thought a random issue. Today 03/08/2018 I was driving and on one roundabout steering felt hard and have to use a lot of force. Realized that engine stalls. Put in neutral and restarted. Now I am searching and finding all rants about this issue. No codes, no lights but stalls. It is scary if got in any accident. I am recording this in the event anything happens due to this. I will surely going to court against Dodge. Other persons can come with me.

This van had following issues: changing rotors every 10 k- 15 k warping, cylinder misfires at 45k- repaired under warranty, now stalling engine.

Dodge and Chrysler makes lemons and do not back their product. This is a safety issue. Transport department in government must take it seriously.

I will be checking with my mechanic today, and post finding. if anyone has any finding, please post.

Update from Mar 31, 2018: had check engine light came up few days before. so I parked it and called my buddy. today i took it out to drop my wife and came home. then i was to go to my friends place for code reading. and the check light vanishes on me. he still cam home and we checked memory for codes, 0406 EGR, for now we deleted the code. if it comes again we will check it and order EGR to replace at my home.

- bha ji, Newmarket, On, Canada

Dec 102017

Grand Caravan Crew V6

Was driving on residential city street about 30 mph, engine completely stalled and power steering gone. I managed to steer to the roadside, put vehicle in park and restart. Other (probably related) issues: Electrical system warning light coming on repeatedly, even after replacing alternator; lights blinking when van not running; windows will roll themselves down a few inches when van not running;

- Paula B., Cottrellville, US

Oct 152015

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

For over 2 years Chrysler could not figure out the problem as no engine codes were given. March 28 the van stalled twice on the highway putting my wife's life in danger. It was dropped off at the dealer and took a week to get it to stall out. They say it is the egr valve but wont guarantee that it will fix the problem. I opened a file with Chrysler Canada and they refused to assist. A defect complaint form has been submitted to Transport Canada as well. Even though it stalls with no warning it is sad that Chrysler does not put a value on their customers' lives.

Not a good way to keep customers! Many other problems to report...

- Scott B., Vaughan, ON, Canada

Jan 312017

Grand Caravan 4.0L V6

In the past a few weeks, it happened 4 times that the engine of my Grand Caravan lost power suddenly when driving. No warnings before it happened, and the engine check light is always off.

So far it all happened in the morning, after driving out tens of meters or a few hundred of meters. After it happened, I need to put the shift to Neutral or Park, and restart the car.

The problem is likely to happen more frequently recently. This is very dangerous. If it happened on the highway, it may cause an accident.

- Sheng Z., North York, ON, Canada

Nov 022016

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L V6

First engine shut off by itself, while I was close to a parking lot. No warning lights was on. I started the engine again. I called my mechanical, but was told only when engine lights on then to go to see him. Second day, I was driving at 90km/hour, the engine shut off itself, I tried to pull it to roadside. Then started the engine again. It was a scary experience. Now waiting to see dodge dealer on Monday.

- Bo T., Kitchener, ON, Canada

Oct 122015

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

Dealer had no clue as to cure for this problem, maybe too many keys on key chain. Really!!!!!! Problem was too intermittent to diagnose, no codes. Finally began to fail enough, that I left it for a tech to drive home. Failed on him, replaced egr valve, has not failed since. I've read enough complaints to see that the problem is pretty common, how come its so hard for Dodge to acknowledge and fix egr. Good thing I had extended warranty or it would have cost an arm and leg.

- Alex S., Hastings, MN, USA

Jan 092016

Grand Caravan 4.0L

We have an extended warranty for 7 year 70K. The problem started last in Nov 2014 and we took it to the dealer twice. That year we took it twice and in Jan 2015 they said it was the ignition switch and changed it. We did not have any trouble after that until Nov 2015 when the temperatures started to get cold again. This year we have taken it back three times. Once we had it towed since the dealer could not replicate the problem.

The dealer changed out the ignition switch the first time, second time they ran a diagnostic test and found nothing wrong but changed the WIN and TIPM. Third time they changed the R&R, PCM and uploaded the engine software . Now in four days the van has stalled twice on two separate days.

We have noticed that if you dont allow the van to warm up where the needle goes close to the normal running temperature the van stalls within the first mile. However, it has stalled going up an incline and once driving at 45 mph. Otherwise the van stalls driving at lower than 30 mph speeds.

Anyone has any idea what to do next?

- Hassan T., Aurora, IL, US

Nov 022014

Grand Caravan

This vehicle is so frustrating not to mention potentially deadly. I do not feel comfortable driving it especially because I have my 4 year old in the van. I am appalled that Dodge has not taken ownership of this issue and has not fixed the issue. I am a diehard Mopar fan; however, my next purchase will likely be a Chevy because I can no longer trust Dodge to do right by it's customers. Someone will die because of this issue....if they haven't already. Why must it take that to get them to fix this issue?!

- Anne R., Burlington, MI, USA

Jun 232015

Grand Caravan

Upon purchasing the car it began to stall frequently. I was told about the recall for the WIN so we just assumed that was the issue. It kept getting worse and worse. Called for recall and was #328 on the list to be fixed which meant a long time of waiting. After going on a mini trip 4 hours away it stalled 10 times once was on the interstate with only 2 lanes due to construction and no shoulder to pull onto. So I had to slow from 70 mph to a stop in very fast traffic almost causing a wreck. Took it to local shop and the EGR valve needed replaced (which my extended warranty didn't cover). No issues since. Due to have recall fixed next week as I called another dealership that didn't have a waiting list. Looks like a lot of others fixed their issue with a new EGR valve too.

- sgunning, KOKOMO, IN, USA

Feb 242015

Grand Caravan 4.0L 6 cyl

the 2010 dodge grand caravan has been stalling for no reason as my wife drives it. Has taken into dealer and replaced battery and battery cable and an oil change. With the diagnostic cost it has totaled over $325 and now saying it might be the module which will be at least another $600.00. However, they apparently have no idea what is the problem just keep trying different things until it either bankrupts us or we give up.

- Richard G., Rockford, MI, US

Jan 222015

Grand Caravan 4.0L

This van, like so many other 2010 Caravans shuts off while driving. It has been happening for over a year now, but recently nearly every day and no longer just leaving the neighborhood.

The dealership plays their cards close to their chest when dealing with this issue. Upon the first phone call about this issue they played totally dumb, like it was a surprise to hear of this even being an issue. Today when taking in for an unrelated recall, they played like it was nearly unheard of until I flexed and showed that I'm a knowledgeable consumer and that there were nearly 1/4 million vehicles under recall for this issue and told them that I don't want it back until they fix the issue.

They sure as hell better put some miles on it before telling me they can't replicate. Trip 2 was reset to zero when pulled into the service bay and if I pick it up without being fixed for the $110 diagnostic charge and there has been no attempt to replicate the issue I will lose my cool.

And I wish I would have thought of it earlier, but will be mounting a Go Pro camera to passenger seat headrest to record every trip and local dealer and Chrysler/Dodge will get an email with footage attached each time it happens.

- Kevin H., Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 082014

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

Recall for this problem doesn't include when our car was manufactured. I think the months need to be extended. This could definitely cause a crash!!!

- charlesiowa, Sully, IA, USA

May 092014

Grand Caravan V6

I am so worried about what I am reading regarding this van. We bought ours new in April of 2010 and to date it has shut down 30+ times while driving. I can be going 15 miles an hour or 70 miles an hour, it does not matter! There is no rhyme or reason as to when or why it will shut down. But like the other complaints, the power steering , brakes, door locks, radio...everything SHUTS DOWN!

Second to last time was about a month ago. My son, who is 15 and has a learner's driver's permit was suppose to be behind the wheel. Since we were running late, I decided to just drive. At 60 mph down GA 400 just before exit 15. When this happens, I hit the hazard lights, put the car in neutral, turn the key, the van usually starts, then put it in drive, turn off the hazards and then move on my way. This time the van did not start so I had to move it to the shoulder....which is not easy. No power steering with a 5500lb van is very difficult.

Dodge MUST take these problems seriously. I have been in contact with Dodge since this problem started. They offered me a "discount" on a new van. I told them that I needed them to guarantee they would take this van off the road. They told me they will "fix" it, and put it back on the road. I told them to "fix" it and give it back to me. I reminded them that after over a dozen times in three different dealers, they have not been able to "fix" the problem. They will NOT be able to "FIX" this for anyone else. Then they told me that "it was not my concern what happened to the van after I traded it in." They also told me the van "is performing as it should."

I am at my wits end. Anyone with this problem PLEASE contact me. I would like to get this problem solved for our family along with your family. I have no clue how to do this, but with many voices, we can speak louder and be heard. Anyone with any suggestions as to how we can get our voices heard, PLEASE email me. Someone is going to die because Dodge refuses to take responsibility with this malfunction with these vans.

- monicamccarthy93, Cumming, GA, US

Aug 162014

Grand Caravan SE

For about 6 Months now my Dodge Caravan has been shutting off, mostly when it was idling. I took it in to the dealer they said it is the win module(which was replaced in 2011 part of a call back) so they replaced it. I drove it 30 minutes to my house left the car on and went in came out and it shut off again. Finally after 3-4 weeks going back and forth they determined it was the cam shaft sensor wiring harness, they fixed that and it seemed to be OK for a while now. Total cost for both jobs $1,000.00.

A few weeks ago I was driving on the highway in Michigan and I was cutting across 3 lanes and all of the sudden I had no more power, I was fortunate enough to pull over into the center lane. I tried to re-start the car but it would not turn on. I could hear it go almost like it was stuck at trying in the On position, it's just like putt putt putt and nothing. I thought maybe some gas I still had just under 1 quarter tank so I packed all the kids and crossed over to other street and got some gas, put in a gallon, still did not turn over. 2 hours later I got the van towed to a mechanic and it turned on right away. I am afraid to drive this vehicle and I just bought a 2009 Dodge Journey and am worried that this is soon to give me the same problem.

So I do not know what to do, if I take it back to the dealer it's gonna cost me more without a real solution. I am reading about the TIPM law suit and not sure if it is related

- Joe S., Leamington, ON, canada

Jun 122014

Grand Caravan STX 4.0L

Had the ignition recall fixed in 2012. Driving down the road at 30 km, (June 12 2014) engine just shut down. No power steering, brakes or anything. Scary even at 30 km/h. Started right up after vehicle was put in park. Second occurrence June 14. Traveling on a main road doing about 70 km/ h with my daughter in the van with me. Same thing happened. Van shut right down. Fortunately I was able to coast into a store lot to get off the main road. Very scary. In my eyes van is a death trap.

From everything I have read, no one can figure out what the issue is. No longer a reliable vehicle at only 4 years old. Checked the error codes using the key in ignition turning the key to on, off, on, off, on. All I got was ---- Done. No errors present. At low speeds, it feels as though the vehicle bogs a bit. Bringing to the shop today.

- Kara V., Burlington, Ontario, canada

Sep 022013

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

This problem was very dangerous. While driving, with no warning, the engine would stop. I called the dealer, but they could only drive it to see the problem. When it first started it only stopped occasionally, but got worse after the warranty ran out. A friend , who had a analyzer, checked and found EGR valve problem. I replaced the valve myself, and it hasn't stopped since. This was in Sept. 2013.

- John H., Lizemores, WV, USA

May 272014

Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L

Vehicle stalls randomly while driving or sitting idle. EGR valve replaced but problem still exsists. Been waiting over a month to hear from Chrysler.

- Roger S., Charlottetown, PE, canada

May 272014

Grand Caravan ES 3.3L

We have had this Grand Caravan Van for a year now and everything was smooth until last month. The engine light came on and the car started going off while operating normally. Or 'missing' while in motion. There is no pattern to this - it happens randomly. We have had it looked and spent over $1,000 (change sensors, changed thermostat, reset computer, etc) - but to no avail.

We have had near-miss fatal accidents as it has cut on us at the most crucial times - several on the highway and twice while turning left at the signal - almost into the oncoming vehicles. I see that we are not the only ones with this problem - seeing the number of complaints on this and on other sites. Chrysler needs to take action fast before a major fatality occurs. Otherwise I smell a class action lawsuit in the making.

- Faruq K., Toronto, ON, canada