7.4

$3,230

1. new head/engine replacement (4 reports)
  3. replace cylinder (1 reports)
  4. tune up and spark plug (1 reports)
2017 Dodge Grand Caravan engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan:

2017 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Comments

Oct 262022

Grand Caravan STS V6

I was able to park the vehicle while I saved up the money for the repairs, until my other dodge went out, and then I had no choice, but to get my vehicle repaired. It's very inconvenient to say the least. I homeschool so my children are with me any time I am out of the house. And where I live is very hard to get an Uber or Lyfte out to to take me back and forth to the mechanic shop. They usually have to drive in from another city and it gets very pricey because I have to use a bigger vehicle to fit us all.

- Stephanie S., Conroe, US

Oct 262022

Grand Caravan STS V6

As soon as I got my vehicle back the last time, the check engine light came back on. I let the mechanic know and they asked me to bring it back in. They had it for days replacing a part over and over with a new part. After days of work, they came to the conclusion that the entire cylinder head would have to be replaced. After some investigating, they realized this is a manufacturers issue that has been an ongoing problem for a lot of people. It is too expensive for me to pay for the repairs at this time. It is my only vehicle and I depend on it a great deal. I'm at a loss and I don't know when I will be able to afford to have the repairs done.

- Stephanie S., Conroe, US

Feb 012022

Grand Caravan GT 3.6L V6

Bought van brand new. Check engine light came on shortly after engine started idling roughly at 91k miles. P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire. Spent $1,300 having my mechanic replace all spark plugs and coils, but the problem remained with no improvement. Engine compression test showed cylinder 2 with low compression. Camera showed no carbon build-up at all. Mechanic said that software used in the industry shows a bunch of people with this identical problem and the solution is new engine head replacement ($2,500+).

Chrysler will not cover any of the cost once out of warranty. I found many others in forums with the same exact issue. Spoke with heavy engine mechanic, and he said that a remanufactured engine swap is the only type of repair he would do for this ($7k - $8k). He's dealt with this issue 6-7 times over the last couple of years on these vans and the did the cylinder head replacement on the first 2, only to have them come back several months later with the same problem. Engine replacement is the only permanent fix. Sold the van to a wholesaler and will stick to Japanese brands from now on.

- Dan C., Cleveland, OH, US

Oct 042021

Grand Caravan GT 3.6L V6

I only owned this car for 3 months. I started the car first thing in morning and it was idling poorly. My mechanic diagnosed it as a #5 cylinder misfire. Had ALL plugs and coils replaced, but it was still misfiring. Mechanic was concerned for a cracked cylinder head and recommended taking it to the dealer for further inspection/diagnosis.

Dealer diagnosed problem as the Engine Control Panel.

- collins9210, San Diego, US

May 222020

Grand Caravan 62,754 V6

Caravan 2017. It began with getting soft when it accelerated. The engine light turned on. I had it taken it to my trusted mechanic for diagnosis. He indicates to me that cylinder 2 is well below the other cylinders are supposed to be in the 150 and the # 2 at 90. From what I have read in other comments, these gauges suffer from this problem.

- Galimar T., Vega Baja, Puerto Rico

Dec 092020

Grand Caravan GT 3.6L V6

Bought certified used from a Dodge dealership in November 2018. Check engine light came on and had code for #2 cylinder misfire in November 2020. Replaced ignition coil and spark plug for $250. Check engine light came back on the next day. Returned car to the repair shop. They troubleshot further and found the #2 cylinder failed compression test. This requires a new head installed. Dodge covers this repair on 2010-2013 3.6L vans but not any after that despite the problem still existing. This is a common failure that can be found on a simple google search and had I done more research when purchasing we wouldn’t have bought the van. Going to cost us $2300 at a non-dealership repair shop to get fixed. I don’t see how there can be so many failure on the same cylinder and around the same mileage and Dodge offer some kind of repair assistance. This is clearly a manufacturer defect that is costing consumers thousands of dollars.

DO NOT BUY ANY 3.6L V-6 CHRYSLER PRODUCT!!!!!

- Patrick K., Fairview Heights, IL, US

Jul 292020

Grand Caravan GT 3.6L V6

The check engine light came on for my 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan GT with a p0302 cylinder 2 misfire code. This vehicle is just over Dodge's 60000 mile powertrain warranty and now needs a new head/engine. Looking around the internet and here, this is not a too uncommon issue and likely why the warranty is set so low on a modern vehicle. It is ridiculous that a major repair like this is needed for a vehicle that is under 5 years old and under 100000 miles. This is not my first Dodge vehicle but will likely be my last.

- Dwayne P., Palm Coast, FL, US