ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 282014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The truck stalls out when stopping, turning, or just sitting at light. Have replaced egr, throttle body, PCV, and had PCM updated; but truck is still stalling. Dealer can't find any trouble codes and can't figure out what is causing the problem. Dealer has put in calls to Chrysler star, but no responses yet. From looking on line, I can see that there are many other owners with the same issue. I just know that this is a safety issue, especially when the truck stalls in the middle of a turn in traffic. I can't believe that there is not a fix or a recall on this issue. Yes, this is a slow speed issue; but it is still dangerous. Please help!

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Jan 072015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

When braking, the vehicle engine stalls as I slow down. The issue was intermittent, but now happens each time I break. I have to pull over with no power steering and restart the vehicle in P or N. sometimes, I have to wait a few minutes before it will let me restart.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Dec 092014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Truck lost all power, throttle lamp blinking. Stalled on roadway, would start but would not give throttle to move the truck. Turned key off then back on a few times and would let me apply throttle for a few seconds, then back to no power. I did this a few times just to get off the roadway. There is no throttle cable so it is a computer control problem.

- Fernley, NV, USA

Dec 082014

Ram 1500

I closed my driver side door and locked it with the key less entry. When I came back to the car key less entry would not open my driver side door and lock is stuck in the down position. The only way to get into the truck on the driver side is to open the back door and reach around from the inside. I have read hundreds of complaints about this, why is there no recall"?"

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Jan 132011

Ram 1500

Had just filled gas tank fifteen minutes earlier. Driving on mountain rd. Slowed for curve and engine quit, almost ran into logging truck headon. This has happened several times after fillup. Once while driving 65 mph on freeway. Slowed to let another vehicle in front of me and engine quite as soon as I touched the brakes. When I fill gas tank it usually die at first stop. Does this until I have used up some of the gas. Have asked dealer who sold the truck to me to look into this several times before I get killed. No response. I no longer drive that road just after fill up. Have checked the internet and found that several 1500 Ram owners have had the same problem. It will be like the ignition switch problem. People will have to get killed to get it fixed.

- Mendocino, CA, USA

Oct 182014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Left rear brake light was going out intermittently, the "lamp out" light was illuminating on and off as if the bulb was going between working and not working. Changed the light bulb with the recommended 3057 bulb but it didn't fix the problem. Changed the bulb holder but still didn't fix the issues. Checked the fuse but it was good. Finally went under the rear to check if the wiring harness was loose and saw the wires for the rear lamp was pinched against the frame of the vehicle and the wire for the brake lamp was cut. There was really no give to the wiring harness; it was pulled extremely tight. Vehicle has never had any issues and nothing electrical has ever been touched before. The right tail lamp is working fine but the harness for that side was not checked. All wiring is original from factory. Vehicle was bought new from a Dodge dealership and we have been the only owners. We feel this is a safety concern if the brake lamps are not working all the time.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Aug 052014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Vehicle died opened hood to check alternator while hood was open noticed burned wire on alternator harness. Spark ignited portion of valve cover near firewall unable to put out fire vehicle burned totally.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Ram 1500

I found out that I don't have a turn signal for the trailer tow on the left side it was later determined that the problem is in the fuse box. Now I can't tow a trailer until the problem is fixed. This could've caused a wreck.I'm not the only person who has this problem.

- Prairie Du Chien, WI, USA

Jun 042013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, all of the instrument panel gauges illuminated and there was a loud noise as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the connecting rod failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure and current mileage was 139,338.

- Spooner , WI, USA

Feb 012012

Ram 1500 8-cyl Diesel

I was driving at freeway speed, around 70 mph. Suddenly, I heard a noise from the rear of the truck and I noticed my speedometer went to zero. I was still moving at the same speed. The fault code identified a failure in the speed sensor in the rear differential. I was out of warranty, so I pulled the differential cover off and found what was left of the speed sensor in the bottom of the housing. I also found pieces of what was later identified as C clips from my lsd clutch assembly. The inductive portion of the speed sensor protrudes into the differential housing and was hit by the flying pieces of C clips. The carrier bearing also had a grove cut into it by these clips as they worked their way out. I am told that if I had not caught this, it would have resulted in carrier bearing failure and lock up of my rear axle. I removed all of the metal C clip pieces and removed the remaining C clips that had not yet fallen out. I don't know if there is any connection, but my left rear leaf spring cracked in half on the lower main leaf. I had to replace the spring assembly at my cost. I now have a permanent whine at low speeds and currently have 125,000 miles on my truck. I am certainly glad that I found these metal pieces when I did! there appears to be many complaints regarding this failure in my truck model, ranging from model years 2003 through 2006 Ram 1500 equipped with the 5.7 hemi. At this time, Chrysler has not acknowledged the patterned failures in these rear differentials.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jan 042013

Ram 1500

Remote unlock stopped working on drivers side door and can't unlock with key. The door will open from the inside and the passenger side is working ok. Have seen hundreds of this same complaint online.

- Concord, CA, USA

Apr 062012

Ram 1500

I bought an 04 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi that had around 80K miles on it when I bought it in Oct 2010. It was awesome the first and a half I had it, only minor repairs I.e battery, idler pulley, ignition switch. I did regular maintenance on it as well as oil changes. In late March 2012 I went to put gas in my truck and it would not let me put more than 10 or 15 cents in before it would "back fill" I was trying to figure out what the problem could be with that, then in early April 2012 I was driving home after running some errands, the truck had run great all day just like normal, but about 8 miles from house I hear this "thunk" and I have no power and I had this awful shaking and rattling noise. There were not even any warning lights telling we that there was something wrong, I called someone to tow it home that night. I did thankfully have another car to drive. In the months since I have been slowly tearing the engine apart with my dad, this week we finally pulled the heads and discovered that my # 6 piston was completely disintegrated and had punched a hole in my block! my original thought was that this was just a random fluke and it was just mine, but after reading on some Dodge forums I see that it was not just mine! this is ridiculous for an engine that has no more miles than this and had been properly maintained. My parents have a 1999 Ford F150 that has almost 300K on it and has not been maintained nearly as well... as my dad puts it "it has been run hard and put up wet" this engine has run like a champ! it even still has the original battery in it! there are many more reports of this happening to this engine both in the durango with that year hemi as well as the Ram on this forum townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F1dd4B2/270.

- Drexel, MO, USA

Aug 032009

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My 2004 Dodge Ram driver side stop working my keys got lock inside the only way to open is by using the remote and climb through one of the other doors which now it is impossible since none of my doors open anymore specially the driver door that it is supposed to open either with the original key or the remote which I can't do either, this is very frustrating because I am an older woman and can't be climbing through my window to do perform this. Please help

- Orange, CA, USA

Oct 012011

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 power distribution center or front control module for no reason is bad. The dealership said it just corroded.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 122008

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

About 30 percent of the time, my turn signals and flashers do not indicate the signal I want to give. During those times, when I indicate right it doesn't flash at all. If I indicate left, it indicates right. Also if I put on the hazards, it either corrects the problem or it indicates left. This is very frustrating and provides a big safety incident on the road. I have noticed that I am not the only person that has had this before as it is a very common occurrence on the web. It increases substantially during the fall and winter months and is almost not existent during the summer months. It also affects my wipers that when I have the lights on I can see that my vehicle is acting up because the wipers are at 1 detent less than what I am trying to provide. This makes it so I can't use the fast wiping position. Thanks for your help.

- Eastampton, NJ, USA

Nov 052011

Ram 1500

The door lock actuator has quit working. This prohibits any of the power door locks from working and the fob wont work. Cd player has a cd stuck in it and will not eject. These issues are well documented on websites as prominent problems.

- Alpine, AL, USA

Jul 082009

Ram 1500 8-cyl

My truck stalls as I come to a stop. This happens probably about 4 times a month since the date above. The dealership hasn't been able to find the problem. I have read on forums online that a ton of other people are having the same problem. Some say it has to do with erg valve and it should be recalled. They said they replace the egr valve and the problem is fixed.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Apr 012010

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that all of the lights on the instrument panel illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop where the mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure but advised replacing the speed sensor, which appeared to be defective. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but offered no further assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 88,000.

- Fall River , MA, USA

Apr 192011

Ram 1500 8-cyl

2004 Dodge 1500 Ram hemi 5.7 quad cab with faulty cruise control. Turning on cruise control and off functions normally. Selecting "set" on the left hand side of the steering wheel fails to engage cruise control desired speed with cruise control on. This happens 10-15 times out of 75-90 times selected during a period of a month. Also, periodically during the 10-15 times a month, cruise control will be engaged with a current speed "set, " and while driving the truck slows down and prevents re-engagement of "set" on the left hand controller of the steering wheel while cruise control is still on. Changed battery with no effect. Throttle body is functioning normally. No blown fuses. Seems that temperature extremes of 45 degrees or below and 90 degrees and higher heightens the effects of this deficiency. When turning ignition from off through intermediate to on position (not start) with trip button held in greater than 15 secs, C-code displays 67 15 then displays 00 00. Truck has 66945 miles currently.

- Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Feb 042011

Ram 1500

Tail lights and park lamps on my 2004 Dodge Ram keeping failing do to I defect in the power distribution center/fuse box almost caused to get hit by a tractor trailer at night cant even order part because I've been told it's on backorder and dealer keeps denying fault or Chrysler wont replace unit this is happening on thousands of 2004 2005 and 2006 Dodge Ram.

- Lynwood, IL, USA