8.2

2. using a heli-coil kit, this is not a solution but a band-aid (6 reports)
1998 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford F-150:

1998 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jun 182010

F-150 XLT 5.4L

This is the last one I am going to do because to go down through the years with each one is a pain in the ass. In 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. In 2014 #4 decides it doesn't like it's hole anymore and spits it out.It is such a pleasure trying to work on that cylinder...not.so great since it is so easy to get too (sarcasm big time)

So now I have 2, 3 and 4 spitting the plugs out..two times a year on average and I'm damn sick of the coil companies making a fortune off me and plus my time spent working on it. I'm getting too old for this sh*t. I want Ford to send me a head with gaskets for it and the intake I have to take off so that I can fix their problem. Sure is funny when I paid cash for this truck nobody bothered to tell me it had already spit #3 out and that it was a big problem with that motor. I would have bought a different truck.

I want somebody to take accountability for their actions and supply me with a new head for the passenger side to fix this problem. I'm tired and live on a fixed income and cannot afford another car payment. This one is paid for. I love my truck except for this problem. .

- , Princeton, TX, USA

Mar 252016

F-150 XLT 3.8L

The first time I drove it home, I didn't notice anything wrong. The truck wasn't cranked for a week, until my wife was going to go buy some plants. She honked for me to come outside. She heard the engine making a noise coming from the engine. I heard it also. Since this was on a Saturday, the garage where I had it repaired (I had all 8 spark plugs helicoiled to hopefully avoid any more blow outs) was closed. The following Monday I took it back to the shop. They finally got around to looking at the truck today.

They called me and told me the it was a rod knocking. My wife, nor I, had ever noticed the noise before. I can't imagine the spark plug problem causing a rod to start knocking. I have kept my truck maintenance up from day one. I have only used synthetic oil in the engine since synthetic oil came onto the market, and kept it and the filter changed every time it was due. Now, with a little over 155000 miles I am looking at having to have a rebuilt engine installed, which shouldn't be happening as much as I have babied this truck and kept it up.

- , Bowdon, GA, USA

Jun 012015

F-150 LX 5.41

It is a bad design. Ford should fix the problem.

- , Delta, CO, USA

Nov 262014

F-150 5.4L Triton

Had a 05 F150, heard about plug problems breaking, traded the truck in to avoid this problem, bought an older F150 a 1998 to be under the year of this problem. After owning truck for two years, at 121000 miles a spark plug blew out taking out the treads and a coil. I have been all Ford my whole life and now am wondering about Ford. Every manufacturer is having issues out the ass and at the expense of the consumer. It's time that the manufacturers man up and put out a product that's worthy of the high price they are charging for their product instead of padding their pockets by producing and selling below standard products. Where's the American pride gone? Pissed off.

- , mechanicsburg, OH, USA

Dec 252008

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I used the recommended fix which lasted for about a year..seems like we have a Christmas tradition now of the spark plug spitting out. Ford needs to fix this problem as their dumbass designers are the ones behind the problem. When you are in Dallas traffic and the thing pops out without warning..trying to get off the road to prevent an accident gets tricky. Now the damn replacement coil is stuck in the head and I have to send to shop to see if they know how to get it out. FORD NEEDS TO REPLACE THE FAULTY HEADS.

- , Princeton, TX, USA

Apr 012014

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

This is obviously a very poor design by Ford. Man up and correct it!

- , Austin, TX, USA

May 122014

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton V8

This is plug 3 that has decided to blow out of the motor. Since it is #3 and the manifold studs are broken off in the heads causing an annoying exhaust leak, I will be replacing the heads and possibly the motor at the same time........ Love FORDS but those heads are JUNK!!!!

Jul 232014

F-150 4x4 5.8L

It is a problem when your going down the road and your spark plug blows out and your stranded. Then you have a cost of towing the vehicle somewhere. Then the repair cost. This is #2 for my vehicle that has blown out.

- , Semmes, AL, US

Oct 102011

F-150 4x4 5.8L

It is a problem when your going down the road and your spark plug blows out and your stranded. Then you have a cost of towing the vehicle somewhere. Then the repair cost. Ford should of already done some thing about this problem instead of continuing to make engines.

- , Semmes, AL, US

May 102013

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I've finally calmed the hell down but this is a piss poor design that just about has me thinking I will not buy a Ford again. And, I have considered myself a big Ford fan! The coil pack replacement job I thought was tough enough, now that I know I've got to replace all these defective Ford plugs and possibly install a helicoil OR TWO!!!! This is unacceptable!

Ford should have done the right thing when this problem was uncovered. I will DEFINITELY think hard about a new Dodge now!

- , Gulfport, MS, US

Feb 212008

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton V8

This was when the 1st plug was ejected, I think we installed a heal a coil.

Aug 122010

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton V8

This was the 2nd time my truck ejected a spark plug. Installed a heal a coil just like first time.

Feb 092008

F-150 XLT 4.2L

Truck is not designed to remove plugs. They jump out of the holes. The first time we had it repaired it was close to $400. (Lucky to be still in town). The second time it was taken in we found out that the first one only replace half of the plugs and charged us full price.

- , Redding, CA, US