7.9

$3,320

2. only solution is to replace motor (19 reports)
  3. replace cam phasers (5 reports)
  4. replace engine (5 reports)
  5. replaced truck (1 reports)
  6. went to 10 40w oil got rid of sinth oil not as loud (1 reports)
2007 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford F-150:

2007 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 182018

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I leased my ford F150XLT in 2007. purchased the lease. it had 51,000 when I purchased the lease. It has 90,000 miles on it now. The engine was knocking horribly at idle intermittently. Then the check engine light came on. My mechanic checked it and it is the cam phasers. $2500.00 to fix the problem. If I continued to drive it I would need to replace the engine. $5300. 00 for that!!

I bought out my lease thinking I had a reliable truck. Turns out I do not. Apparently from what I found out Ford knew of this issue, yet they sold the trucks anyways, hoping they would last past the warranty. Well, mine made it past the warranty now I'm screwed and stuck with a junk truck I will never get anything out of. If I knew about this issue I might have purchased a extended warranty.

All I am asking is Ford make it right. Either give me an extended warranty to cover the engine in the future and or give me some compensation to help offset my expense. But I imagine I am stuck. I just leased a 2018 Fusion for my wife to drive. My plan is to drive it til the end of the lease and walk away never to return as a Ford customer. I have had 4 trucks and now this car. Man to have to pay out $2500.00 just so I can drive it hurts. I am aware there are repairs due to normal wear and tear and was prepared to keep it up with regular maintenance and what needs to be done routinely not the issues that came up which are Ford's faulty manufacturing of a junk engine. A engine should last longer especially a truck.

- Steven S., Lima, OH, USA

Oct 012017

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

I own a 2007 Ford F150 4x4 4 door crew cab. Bought the truck used from a car lot. The engine was acting up when I bought it so got it a reasonable price. The motor had a small knock in it at the time and I figured no big deal. Well 2 years later the knock is still there but much worse. I have changed the phasers, plugs and coils, oil pump, 02 sensors, to no avail. As a last resort I had the engine swapped out with another Ford F150 same year less miles. Guess what, not a good idea, the other motor knocks worse then the one replaced, and now it even dies when you have to stop at a light or intersection. I have been a Ford man since 1980, I should say "was" a Ford man. If I can unload this piece of crap I'm buying a Chevrolet. Maybe the Local Chevrolet dealer will give me a good deal since they hate Fords, like I do now!

- Pablo D., Weslaco, US

Nov 112017

F-150 King Ranch 5.4L

So why 10,000. because it happened twice. 1 rebuild was at 125,000 miles

And now at 220,000 need a new engine again.

As a mechanical engineer, this is a design flaw.

and Ford new about it before they sold it.

Go electric and get away from these over sensitive engines.

I addition to a new transmission, front end, rear differential, suspension.

What happened to Ford quality? I had a 1970 Ford that still runs...

- x ford owner, Houston, US

Aug 012017

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I have purchased used vehicles before but this the worst vehicle in the world. Also I had to replace the PMC computer 500.00 Ford needs their ass kicked.

- Billy B., Dallas, US

May 122017

F-150

Bought it used w/ 51,000 miles, thought we stumbled on a gem...now we know why owner traded it in for a Dodge! First issue, engine knocking, little power after running it through a car wash, engine knocking in park to the point of it knocking while in Drive. Replaced engine, our mechanic says they have seen a number of Fords with this problem, and the best fix is a new engine! Have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 211,000 miles, original engine still going strong!

- timwing63tw, Beulah, US

Nov 102016

cam phasers went out $3,500 to fix ford knows all about it

Ford knows all about this problem as do thousands of f-150 owners.. Did nothing and doing nothing .. Bullshit deal .. Traded truck in dealer had a cam phaser sitting on his desk .. Said he would have to replace it so got a lot less money at trade in .. Yes sounds like a lifer knock could not sell to private party as had the noise ...........

- James M., Snohomish, US

Jan 282017

F-150 5.4L Triton

Ford and dealership can kiss my ass! Had ford trucks my whole life and get treated like red headed step child! (Don't take it personal kids, just a saying). Like every 1 else on this site, kept getting pushed along till was my fault and extended warranty ran out. BAD ENGINE!!!! Just admit it. 5.4 Triton in the 07-08 are terrible.

- ford f*ckd me, Meriden, CT, USA

Jan 232017

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Triton

I have had my truck since new 2007. I really loved this truck. In 2009 I was off on the road working and was headed home when my engine started knocking and oil pressure went to zero. I pulled off of the road and called Coastal Ford in Mobile Alabama. I explained the problem and was instructed to restart the engine. The engine purred like a kitten.

I got into Mobile to the dealership and the service Mgr. said he didn't hear a thing that sounded wrong. About the time he said that the engine really cut loose and started knocking and the oil pressure went to zero. They kept the truck and ran test. They said the cam phaser bearing needed to be replaced. That was $ 2,700.00. Got the truck back. Ran like a new truck again. About 3 weeks later the same thing happens again. Knocking, zero oil pressure.

Called Costal Ford again. They said let it sit a min and try to crank it up again. I did this it ran great. Took it into the dealership. They informed me that it needed a new engine. This was going to cost about $4,500.00. I ask if they were going to use the $2,700.00 against the $4,500.00 for the replacement. No was the answer I got. So I called Ford motor co. I ask if they had any problems like this with any other Ford trucks. Again the answer was NO!!! Well there were 3 other trucks sitting in the dealership service dept. with the same thing wrong. I had a NEW ENGINE installed in the truck. Every thing was great till 2017. Now this engine is knocking.

Ford can't tell me they haven't had any complaints. There are a lot of them on this site. They all say the same thing. All Ford Motor Company is doing is giving the business to Dodge, Chevrolet, GMC. This is so stupid on there half. Ford use to have great Customer service and a dependable vehicles.Now they have gone to SH*T like a lot of others. I wouldn't mind paying a higher price for quality. I payed about $ 45,000.00 for my truck and thought it was quality. but boy was I shafted.

Ford GET OFF OF YOUR ASS AND PRODUCE TRUCKS LIKE YOU USE TO. STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT. THIS IS WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ALL ABOUT.. NOW I want my DAMN TRUCK fixed right this time.

- Jamie B., Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 042016

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8 Triton

Needless to say, I've bought YET another piece of sh*t Ford. I first noticed this issue when I took my first test drive with my auto agent. We just got on the entrance ramp when the 07 Ford started to shake, feeling it thru the steering wheel. I told the agent and he quickly came to a response of ''oh, this road is pretty bad, it's the road causing that!'' So I thought nothing of it, UNTIL the next couple of days driving it around 75 miles per hr. It DID IT AGAIN!! even more noticeably. Okay, is this a bearing, driveshaft, U-joint?

So I took it in. I told them what it was doing, because by now it was shaking, knocking at an idle & at higher speeds. BUT, the worst day was when it was just crawling off a dead stop in the driveway & shook & knocked in the driveway so bad I immediately stopped exited & popped the hood & it sounded like a rod was ready to blow out of the engine& the engine was going to drop out of the truck right there!!!

- Casey M., Casott, WI, USA

May 032016

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Ffv V8

This problem started several years ago, took the truck into the Ford dealership, could not get a diagnosis because of no check engine light. Later a check engine light came on and the reading was Converter and 02 Sensor 12 were bad, replaced them at a Ford Dealer $$$$. Less than 1 year later another check engine light came on, this one read fuel pump assembly, replace them. Now another check engine light, this was due to vehicle skipping, replaced the spark plugs and cleaned induction system. Now the engine is losing power and low oil pressure. With a 169,000 miles on this 5.4L FFV V8 engine is gone, the only solution is a new or rebuild engine, another 7,000.00. I am 66 years old and on a fix income with a truck worth $. Will I buy another Ford Truck NO.?

- Joe B., Abbeville, GA, USA

Sep 082016

F-150 XL 5.4L

I bought this truck new actually a special order. For about 2 years the motor has had a little click. I have taken it to mechanics, changed all spark plugs and coils. Problem still exist. Now a few days ago the truck starting run badly. Couldn't get over 55 miles per hour. It even cut off a couple of times. Took it the FORD dealership and the service department tells me that the motor is gone. Needs replacing; however, was told that the 5.4 is a bad motor. Would cost roughly $5,000 and still couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't happen again. What kind of company sells something like this? I will never buy another FORD. The FORD Company says that it is the best truck around!!!! Yeah Right!!! FORD you need to fix your problems or stop selling this sh*t.

- dudney, Whiteville, NC, USA

Mar 092015

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

OK I bought myself this truck for my 31st birthday I was excited to get a bigger four door Ford because I have had several other ford trucks in the past with minimal issues.. After driving the truck for the weekend on the following Monday I heard a weird clicking or tapping sound. I took it directly back to the dealer that I bought it from, he advised me to take it to Ralphs Transmission in Vineland NJ. They changed the transmission screen. The dealer informed me that truck had recently been serviced (Tune-up) oil change tire rotations the whole nine yards.. After getting the truck checked out Ralphs told me the transmission screen had NEVER been changed before and that my transmission fluid was a bit low.. He also informed me that I had misfires in the spark plugs. So needless to say FORD wanted between 650-1100$ to do a tune up on this POS. I found a reputable Ford Mechanic who did it for 350$. 2 months after this tune up truck started shaking again and not shifting sounded like the damn motor was about to fall out of the truck. After reading all these descriptions for other complaints about the same problems I am very disapointed.. My grandfather only drives FORD LINCOLN MERCURY cars and trucks and I have always followed in his foot steps. I own a Ford car its a 2000 I have only had minor problems with that I fixed myself. This truck cost me 21,000 and quite frankly I cant believe ford will not fix there mistake. Obviously there is a problem just fix it and move on before the FORD name is gone forever. You are ruining alot of peoples mind sets and wallets for that matter. With this being my first newer truck and one of the most expensive things I have ever gotten for myself I am greatly disapointed. Ford for me has always been a dependable name and parts were everywhere and easy to find for almost all of these cars trucks and suvs. After extensive searching I am making a decision to NEVER buy a ford lincoln or mercury product ever again if they do not fix there error. If I get into an accident because the truck will not accelerate shift or stop.. I promise one thing and one thing only. There will be a lawsuit I just hooked up 3 cameras in this truck to watch every aspect of my driving. One to watch my speed and tachometers one to watch the road and another to watch me showing that I am doing nothing to the truck except driving it like a normal person does. I have two daughters that are normally with me when I am driving and if anything happens to them there is no place on this EARTH that they will be able to hide from me. Money wont be able to buy the lives of innocent people that will be lost due to your non compliance or repair of a faulty piece of sh*t engine and transmission.

- Joshua H., Millville, NJ, USA

Apr 112016

F-150 XLT 5.4L

FOUND ON ROAD DEAD sure matches what Ford stands for. They have no integrity or pride in there workmanship. Will never look look at another Ford not so tough truck again.

- timwhitept, Marion, IA, USA

Sep 232015

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

After 2 weeks of trouble shooting and plugs replaced along with cam phaser and cam sensors replaced, my truck felt like it was not getting gas. When I stopped, it shook like a wet dog. I have always been a Ford truck gal, but after all I have read about the problems with the cam phaser, and the fact that FORD won't do a recall, I think I will give up on FORD products. The shop that did the work sent a wrecker to pick it up this morning. Don't know what kind of money it will cost to trouble shoot from here.

- cindyar, El Dorado, AR, USA

Aug 012012

F-150 4.6L

I bought this Ford F-150 used with very few miles (11,000) on it in 2009 and in 2012 the engine started to knock significantly. The truck had 50,000 miles on it. I took it the truck in to have it serviced and diagnosed and was told the engine needed to be replaced. The truck was still under warranty so I had it done and all was fine for a while.

- Joel L., Bonney Lake, WA, USA

May 012014

F-150 4x4 Supercab V8

Ford SUCKS!!!! They should be responsible for replacing the engine in our 2007 F150 with only 60,000 miles on it. They sold use a LEMON, they should pay for it.

- Donna L., Iron River, MI, USA

Apr 092014

F-150 5.4L

This vehicle was the first truck we have bought. My family has always been Ford Proud - but I cannot say that anymore. Truck started running badly, dying, stalling, shaking, and when engine started knocking we took it to mechanic. Mechanic had it for several days only to tell us it was the Cam Phasers - estimated repair cost was $4,000. Well you can imagine the surprise we had at such a high estimate but needed to have the truck repaired and sucked it up. They began the repairs and returned truck to us.

Truck ran ok for 3-4 days and began the same again. Took it back and they took everything apart again and said oil was not getting thru engine properly and phasers were bad. They again replace the phasers, oil lines, time solynoid, etc, etc and we went home again. This time it ran for a few weeks ok with an ever so slight knocking on start up. But we were so embarrassed when the truck started running like a dang diesel engine stopped at the light. If we gave it a punch of acceleration - it stopped for a bit but on next stop - it did it again. Took it back to the mechanic and they were at a loss.

They called Ford and they said they know there is a problem with this engine and year truck but refused to do anything about. They said to buy a new engine. Well we are not made of money - we just dropped $4000 - now another $5000???? Hell! We quit taking it back to mechanic as there was nothing else for them to do. So now we are stuck with this problem until we can afford an engine. But I tell you - If FORD is reading these complaints - I would be ashamed to say I even worked there. Ford used to be the number one car/truck company but I can tell by there NYSE price of stock - that they are dropping - which they deserve. FORD YOU NEED TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS! How dare you treat your loyal customers like this.

- nativepony, Arlington, TX, USA

May 022015

F-150 5.4L Triton

My truck makes a loud clingy noise after it has warmed up. Turn it off then back and the noise stops. Was told it was the cam phasers and it was throwing off the timing. I think Ford should do a recall.

- Victori F., Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 152009

F-150 5.4L Tritron

Ford is aware of this problem, but it is to their benefit to ignore it and use it as a testing situation for future engines at the customers expense.

- Henry R., Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Jul 012014

F-150 XLT 5.4L

2007 F150 Cam Phaser ticking sound under acceleration.

- David M., Glendora, CA, USA