ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2013 Ford F-150 steering problems: steering control unit stopped working

Steering Control Unit Stopped Working

2013 Ford F-150

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

9.0

$2,000

1. installation of new steering control unit (2 reports)
2013 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Aug 042017

F-150

EPAS failed while turning left, caused me to lose control up on sidewalk. Completely lost power steering. Dealer wants $2k to fix. Ford has to know with all the identical complaints and it is going to take deaths for them to recall it. They did the 2014 model which are the exact same parts.

- Lindsay H., Benson, US

Nov 292013

F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost

I bought my Ford F-150 brand new in November 2013. Exactly one week later the Steering Control Unit went out at about 950 miles on the odometer. This in the computer that controls the turn signals, traction control and hill decent functions to name a few. The dealer replaced the factory installed control unit by the end of the 2nd week after I purchased the truck. The replacement steering control unit lasted approximately 24 hours before going out as well at about 1,315 miles (refer to pictures). Now my truck went in to the dealer for a second time, this time for nearly two weeks. My truck was now a month old and the dealership service department had been in possession of my new truck more than I had. A third steering control unit was installed and I was told that this unit, "came from a different vender" and should fix the problem. I haven't had a problem related to the steering control unit since December 2013.

Update from May 5, 2018: Update:

Now have 61K at 4.5 years of original ownership. No more problems with Stearing Control Unit to date.

- John M., Farmington, NM, USA