2018 Ford F-150 electrical problems: door doesn't unlock when cold

Door Doesn't Unlock When Cold

2018 Ford F-150

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

7.0

2018 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Ford F-150:

2018 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jan 112019

F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Ecoboost V6

I rated this problem as fairly significant because it renders the vehicle and its contents vulnerable to theft (driver side door does not unlock or lock in cold weather). As soon as the truck or ambient temperature warms up the problem disappears. I have had this problem two cold mornings in a row so far. The vehicle is scheduled for service but the dealer says they need to be able to duplicate the problem because there is currently no recall for this for the crew cab model, only for the other model(s). Therefore I expect this to be covered under warrantee. I will be extremely disappointed and angry if it is not. Otherwise I am completely enjoying the truck so far.

Update from Jan 13, 2019: I have since learned that this problem dates at least back to 2015 F150's so it appears that Ford has not been in any hurry to correct the problem at the manufacturing level. Instead they have issued two technical service bulletins to dealers with a solution procedure. So again, I expect this to be corrected under warranty and will update this as soon as I know.

Update from Jan 22, 2019: When I brought the truck in for service I demonstrated that the right rear door power door lock was also frozen as was the driver's door power lock. The dealer said they would replace both door lock actuator/latch assemblies. Recent very cold weather (5 degrees) provided a good opportunity for evaluation. After sitting over night in such conditions the power door locks functioned properly as did the other doors and tailgate locks that had not been affected.

- Paul S., Somerville, NJ, US

Jan 302018

F-150 XLT 5.0L V8

Truck is on a few months old and been in the shop more than my 99 Honda Accord.

- Deo R., Bowmanville, ON, Canada