ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2005 Ford Five Hundred drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Five Hundred:

2005 Ford Five Hundred Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jul 232010

Five Hundred

2005 Ford 500. Car began bucking/surging/accelerating on own when starting to pull out into heavy traffic from shopping center to main road. Strong braking required to control car. Continued to happen, pulled back into shopping center lot. Would happen in drive or reverse with car taking off on own if no brake applied. Car stalled times two. Was able to get car to Ford dealership in very near vicinity. Continued to happen for service rep while at dealership. Dealership found electronic throttle body to be at fault. A known problem to exist, so stated. Tsb exists for this. Must replace throttle body with updated model. Unit on backorder. Car undrivable till part arrives. Greater than 1 month backorder on part! very dangerous situation occurred. Could have been serious accident.

- Loveland, OH, USA

May 272010

Five Hundred

For approximately the past year our 2005 Ford 500 has been lurching when shifting into reverse with the "wrench" symbol on the dash lighting up. I have had the codes run and nothing comes up. I have been doing internet research on this problem and it seems that many people have reported this issue in online forums with many having to have the throttle body replaced, computer reprogrammed and accelerator replaced. This issue has not shown up on for a recall but I do believe it should as my wife drives the vehicle and almost got into an accident with our three young children.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Apr 232005

Five Hundred

In parking spot. Just started car. Foot on brake. Shifted car to reverse gear. After a couple or more seconds, the car lurched, with my foot on the break, and nearly hit a pedestrian walking behind my car. Upon researching this symptom, I discovered other owners of the Five hundred, freestyle and Taurus reporting the same symptoms. The culprit appears to be a malfunctioning throttle body, which is or was in short supply for replacement. This particular incident is not the first time I experienced this event. This is just the first time a pedestrian was at risk. The pedestrian can be contacted for verification.

- Enfield, CT, USA

Feb 042010

Five Hundred 4WD 6-cyl

Car hesitates then lunges forward, and even feels like throttle gets stuck..

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 232009

Five Hundred

2005 Ford freestyle...throttle body issues, when the car is put into drive it jumps forward. RPM's run high on the car at all times. The car will also jump in reverse it also sounds like it is going to drop the transmission at times. This vehicle does this all of the time. It also wants to shut down when you attempt to accelerate, like to get onto freeway for example. I have searched the internet and know this is not an isolated incident! this is clearly a huge accident waiting to happen, not to mention $800 dollars in repairs. I was almost killed in my 1995 Ford F-250 power stroke due to cam sensor issues, which was recalled right after I paid for a tow truck and repairs. This issue needs serious attention before someone gets killed, if they haven't already! Ford needs to be held accountable. Please pay attention to this! I will be replacing this part as soon as I can find one. I have taken this vehicle to a mechanic but not to Ford dealership yet. I no longer trust Ford! not to mention, I cannot afford them...

- Rockport, IN, USA

Jun 082008

Five Hundred

I have a Ford Five hundred limited. The car has stop running while the car is in gear and moving. It also stopped when I started to drive from a stop light. While it was being fixed at the car dealership it stop (died) on them several times. The Ford dealer company thought it was the power steering pump because the power steering pump was making a knocking sound. They also noticed that if they was to turn the wheel it would usually die on them. The dealership has replaced the battery, powersteering pump, belt and the throttle and the car still dies. My understanding from them is that they have never come across this problem before. What made me take the car in to begin with was that I went to start the car after playing tennis for about 45 minutes and it wouldn't start. The battery was somewhat dead and the security light was flashing rapidly.

- Omaha, NE, USA