ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2001 Ford Ranger body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Ranger:

2001 Ford Ranger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 012006

Ranger

The entire frame has rusted out. Rear leaf springs frame cross members, cab mounts, I would never buy another Ford.

- Hopwood, PA, USA

Feb 212015

Ranger 4-cyl

Frame supporting spare tire carrier fell off causing spare to drag. Also have in the past had both rear leaf spring mounts and shackles break off the frame to excessive rot.

- Lewiston, ME, USA

Feb 082012

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

Entire frame rusted out-gas tank-rear shackles-bumper fell off.

- Highmount, NY, USA

May 122013

Ranger 6-cyl

I bought this 2001 Ford Ranger edge, regular cab from a dealer in Connecticut. The exterior body panels themselves looks immaculate not a spot of rust anywhere, however, after I had driven home the vehicle and had my family mechanic look it over he discovered there are two locations where the frame has completely rusted/ rotted through (over 2 inches in diameter) on the driver side of the vehicle just in front of the rear axle, adjacent to the gas tank. This vehicle only has 89,000 miles on it and was very well cared for. This mechanic then told me that this will eventually lead to this vehicle being unsafe to drive and that the vehicle is borderline unsafe to drive in its current condition.

- Franklin Square, NY, USA

Apr 032013

Ranger

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Ranger. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that the frame was severely rusted. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who confirmed that the frame was perforated due to rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 151,238.

- Derry, NH, USA

Sep 182012

Ranger

Symptoms included engine stall during highway and uphill driving. Stopped at fuel station to fill tank; when tank approached full; sound of structural failure noted followed by large fuel spillage from tank area (saturated truck rt rear underbelly, ground, rear tire, my shoes and lower portion of pants). Subsequent inspection revealed gas tank strap detached from frame due to severe and widespread frame rot. Tank apparently hanging from remaining corrosion damaged strap and fuel filler neck (caused tank to tilt backwards; starving engine of fuel during uphill or dynamic driving). Fuel filler neck was also severely rotted and finally failed during fuel fill causing entire tank loaded with 16 gallons fuel to become detached at sharp angle. Following incident; vehicle professionally inspected revealing extensive frame and suspension component disintegration due to premature failure of Ford designed sub-standard materials. Large areas of material missing from both front frame members (rear of engine), large holes in frame areas forward of rear wheels (where fuel tank straps attack), severe and widespread frame and suspension component corrosion. Vehicle condemned by inspection personnel; now sits idle in driveway. Ranger purchased new (year end, 2001) with dealer rust-proof. Vehicle regularly maintained and kept free from road salt with regular underbelly wash. Vehicle only had 120,000 miles and looked very clean on exterior. I have owned many vehicles in my 35 year driving history; never have I experienced anything like this prior. Ford obviously used ultra-sub standard materials in Ranger critical suspension component designs; without regard for the safety of unsuspecting owners. This is criminal, it will only be a matter of time before people are injured or killed by these design defects.

- Georgetown, PA, USA

Nov 162012

Ranger 6-cyl

Bought the truck and a few weeks of driving notice the bed was off center. Put truck on life and found whole frame is rusted out.

- Macedonia,, OH, USA

Nov 012012

Ranger

Undercarriage and frame has excessive rust problems causing parts on frame to fail and fall off.

- Hurley , NY, USA

Jun 022012

Ranger 6-cyl

Failed nys inspection due to structural cracks in frame. Additionally the bracket holding one of the fuel tank straps was completely rotted away leaving the tank suspended by only one strap.

- Cragsmoor, NY, USA

Apr 022012

Ranger 6-cyl

The frame rusted out and bent out of shape in the rear end.

- Hanover, NH, USA

Sep 142011

Ranger

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Ranger. After examining the vehicle, the contact noticed that the entire frame and sub frame had cracked and rusted through. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic on several occasions, where the leaf springs were replaced each time. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 140,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Newport, RI, USA

Feb 212012

Ranger 6-cyl

Rear leaf spring bracket hasexsessive amout of rust and will break off.

- Bayville, NJ, USA

Jan 192009

Ranger 4WD 6-cyl

Since I have owned the vehicle I have had many issues with the frame of my 2001 Ford Ranger edge. At one point I was driving down the road and I heard a little noise so I stopped and the spare tire came rolling by me down the street. One of my leaf springs cracked so I had my mechanic check it out and he said the frame was all rotted out and that this was very common for this year Ranger. He said the shackles that hold on the leaf sprig were broken because of rot. So he braced up some areas with metal and installed new leaf springs and shackles. The bed of the truck is tilted because of the frame. I cant give you an exact date that this first happened but I believe it is around the date I put down. I get nervous towing my boat or my pop up trailer because of the frame.

- West Boylston, MA, USA

Jan 012012

Ranger

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Ranger. The contact stated that the rear frame was completely corroded. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who advised that the material used to build the frame was defective. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Dexter, ME, USA

Sep 012011

Ranger

Frame was noted to have severe rust damage to rear portion of frame, however, the front portion ofthe frame does not show such damage. I have done research on this issue and it seems to be so common that there is an after market frame repair kit for this specific vehicle. The truck has no other issues. I believe that it sould not be much to ask to have defect repaired by the manufacturer to avoid safety issues.

- Charleston , IL, USA

Dec 012011

Ranger 6-cyl

Rear frame on Ranger is rusting. The slot where the gas tank strap hooks on to the frame has rusted away this caused the gas tank to drop the whole back frame looks bad.

- Denville, NJ, USA

Jun 112008

Ranger

Noticed my truck was sitting crooked. Took it to repair shop to have repaired. About 2 hours after I dropped it off the repair shop called my phone and asked me to come to their shop. The mechanic showed me the rusted spring shackles and rusted spring hangers and the rusted frame. This shop would not put my trailer hitch back on because he said my rusty frame would not hold it up. I took my truck back to a Ford dealer for them to look at. They told me that the truck was paid for, warranty was out and as far as they were concerned the problem was mine. I tried to tell the dealer that this didn, T happen overnight. He didn, T care. I have had parts of the frame plated so it wouldn, T break into. Gas tank brackets have rusted off. Main front crossmember has rust holes in it. This truck was only 7 years old and its junk. Tried to trade it off at a dealer first thing they look at is the frame. The dealers know there is a problem with the frames rusting. And mine is not the only one in the area with rusted frame problems. My son has a 2004 Ford thats almost as bad as mine. I have a 1955 Ford truck that has a better frame under it than my 2001. Sad but true. I took excellent care of my truck for those first 7 years but who crawls under their car or truck to check for rust. You expect some but not to this extent.

- Ansted, WV, USA

Nov 012011

Ranger 4-cyl

Rear leaf spring hangers failed & separated from the frame due to corrosion causing the leaf spring to damage the bed of the truck as the leaf spring drove through the skin of the truck bed.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Mar 012008

Ranger

I purchased a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT two years ago and when I went to get a sticker on it last year I had to put a lot of money into having part of the frame replaced due to rot. This year I took it to quirk Ford in augusta to see what it would need before my sticker and was told that even if I get the basic regular maintenance done to get a sticker ($3K) it would never get a sticker again due to the rot in the rocker panels and the frame. I've contacted Ford as it is only 8 years old and shouldn't be in that condition. They will do nothing about it. I am stuck with paying the remainder $5800 I owe on the vehicle and I can't get out of it due to the negative equity because of the condition the vehicle is in. I am the only source of income for our family of 3 right now and I can't afford to make two vehicle payments. I live too far from work to walk. It really upsets me that I'm stuck with no options for an issue that shouldn't even be. Isn't there something that can be done about this??

- Gardiner, ME, USA

Aug 312001

Ranger 4WD

The bed iwas twisted, found out it was dropped on the passenger's side at the factory. The wiring harness was pinched, found out that after driving on the highway at 70 vehicle shut off. The doors popped open. Took to body shop, they did not touch anything, they measured against Ford spec's. this is in court.

- Cosby, TN, USA