ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2017 GMC Sierra 1500 transmission problems: hard shift in and out of first gear

Hard Shift In And Out Of First Gear

2017 GMC Sierra 1500

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

6.9

2017 GMC Sierra 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 GMC Sierra 1500:

2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Aug 252017

Sierra 1500 I 5.3L

Both transmission and rear axle clunk then truck lunges forward when going from first to second gear. We have taken GMC truck three times to two dealers. They update software. The dealers have not solved. Problem takes place between first and second gear. Usually in these situations; when you have to be light on the pedal, Parking garages, Parking lots and Stop and go traffic. It may be a steering problem, if not the transmission.

Before this General Motors purchase, I had not bought an American car since my 1976 Oldsmobile. How soon we forget

- Eordonna D., Baton Rouge, LA, US

Dec 292017

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L

I purchased a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali from George Carr Buick Cadillac GMC, Inc. located in Vicksburg Mississippi on December 29th 2017.

When I test drove the truck I instantly noticed a vibration on the freeway. The salesman assured me that it was just a simple flat spot in the tires from sitting in the lot. Sounded reasonable to me. He said, "Don't worry. It would be 100% fixed!" The tires were replaced and this has yet to correct the problem, during the last visit I was told it was the transmission and my vehicle was at the dealership another 5 days and once I picked the vehicle up I was informed that the tires were out of balance, shortly after leaving the service department I call back and spoke with the service manager and informed him that this vibration was not only back but now the transmission and or rear differential are making a loud clucking sound, this occurs while driving at low speeds and when coming to stops, example while pulling away from stop sign loud clunk and the vehicle surges forward.

1. Repair vehicle vibration at below and above 40 miles per hour 2. Fix vehicle vibration at idle 3. Resolve the engine bucks and missing issue 4. Resolve the jerking and surging motion of the vehicle 5. Replace Tire with factory rand tires and not no names as previously done 6. Repair the loud clucking transmission banging and slamming noises heard in the transmission and rear differential

- Johnnie R., Madison, MS, US

May 022017

Sierra 1500 5.3L V8 Ecotec3

Had this into dealer 6(six) times, still does the same thing.

- Frederick J., Greenville, US

Dec 012016

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

Have taken in 3 times for repair each time they say that its fixed, and problem still remains. Last time they said I will have to allow my vehicle 5min warm up before driving.

- Patrick E., Albany, GA, US

Apr 032017

Sierra 1500 Denali 5.3L

When going slow it will shift hard and clunks sometime worse then others when shifting from 1st to 2nd and other times it works right. I have had it to the dealer at least 3 times. 1st time they said it was too new and had to learn my driving habits. At about 3500 miles they did a adaptive relearn. The third time they found an update and did a relearn, no change. Now there is around 7500 miles on it and I was told there is nothing else they can do and this normal for this 8 speed transmission. At 58000 dollars it is ridiculous to think this is OK. They need to come up with a fix for this. I'm not the only one with this problem go on GMC trucks.com. There are 9 pages of complaints for this problem. I would be afraid to buy the new 2019 truck coming out, as they can't even get the current model right.

- Rich M., Westville, NJ, US

Sep 032017

Sierra 1500 Plus Package V8

I purchased this 2017 GMC Sierra new in July of 2017 from Vince Whibbs in Pensacola , Florida . Not long after that when the truck was cold and I put it into reverse or drive it created a really hard shift. Also at low consistent speeds it would create the same shift although not as hard. My first of five trips to the Vince Whibbs GMC service center They said that the gears had to be reprogrammed . It did not work. The second and third time after about a week of keeping my truck they said that they could not diagnosis the problem. The fourth trip they worked of something and now it has a new problem and the original problem is still there. We are now schedule for a fifth trip to Vince Whibbs GMC automotive " repair "shop. GMC will no longer communicate with me. Vince Whibbs so far has put me on ignore . What good is a warranty if you can't fix it? Hey Vince Whibbs, what happened to we will take care of you after the sell? Vince Whibbs GMC in Pensacola , Florida is doing nothing to help rectify the issue of the lemon that they sold me. Hey GMC stand behind your product. Right this wrong.

Update from Feb 8, 2018: After my fifth time to Vince Whibb's GMC my new 2017 GMC Sierra is still having the same issues.

- Russell S., Molino, US

Aug 012017

Sierra 1500 All Terrian 6.0L

When vehicle moves from a dead stop the vehicle will jump, jerk out of first gear. when the vehicles comes to an almost complete stop the vehicle will shift hard into 1st gear. When the vehicle is stopped after being driven the truck will jerk while at a complete stop as if it is shifting in 1st gear.

- Tommy R., ColoradoSprings, CO, USA