8.0

2. replace master cylinder (1 reports)
2019 GMC Sierra 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 GMC Sierra 1500:

2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Owner Comments

Sep 292019

Sierra 1500 Elevation 5.3L

Problem occurred twice. Both times the failure modes, codes, and messages were the same and was accompanied by an increase in pedal travel and pedal sponginess. There was an MIL lamp, Traction Control Lamp, Red Brake Lamp and three repeating cluster messages: Service Brake Assist, Service ESC, and Brake System Failure 63 MPH Top Speed First visit to dealer was a two hour wait then a No Problem Found. Problem re-occurred a couple weeks later on 8/30/19. Brought it back to the dealer Laura Buick GMC, Collinsville, IL and they put me in a loaner. After hearing nothing for a week I called them. The SA, who sounded like he didn't really understand what he was talking about said this is a known issue, they have three of these issues in the shop and it is due to a production problem. He said they have a Master Cylinder and an ABS ECU (EBCM) on order but none are available and they have no idea when they will be available. The SA led me to believe the root cause is undetermined and they are throwing some parts at it.

Update from Nov 21, 2019: After 5 weeks, a GM strike and then a dealership mechanic strike the backordered part came in which was the master cylinder/EBCM/HCU - a one piece integral unit. They had someone install the part which was reportedly due to "an internal short" in the EBCM. Supposedly it is a known issue and the particular dealer had 2 or 3 vehicles exhibiting this condition.

- Angelo V., Saint Louis, MO, US

Oct 112019

Sierra 1500 SLT V8

Just around a month after having my new truck and now I have been out of it a week. In the parking lot at work as I was leaving for lunch (and many other people) I get service lights and brake system failure and the pedal goes to the floor. I'm beeping at people walking over the curb like a jackass because I didn't know if I was going to be able to stop. I call Wiesner in Conroe, TX and they say, get roadside to tow it up here and we will look at it. Frustrated, I drive the 4.3 miles and drop it off. Told them damn near hit someone due to the brakes. Fella got in and said weird, we haven't seen anything like this before. I've called everyday and they have yet to explain the real answer. Vacuum pump, waiting on a piece from North Carolina, etc. I'm paying my loan payments and you got me in some small loaner vehicle and cant tell me whats wrong or when I get it back, come on GM, this is why we buy GM products. As I read all the similar complaints how is this not a recall? I have a family I transport and the last thing they want to do is ride in a faulty vehicle. The dealership and GM need to make good here. Hell, Id take my old vehicle back to ensure my safety. This has to be fixed. Brake System Failure at 2500 miles and actually having to replace a part. Shoot, if it was a software thing I'd be a little less judgmental, what the hell kinda part needs replaced at less the 3k? Ridiculous. Get it fixed.

- Steve M., Montgomery, TX, US

Jul 292019

Sierra 1500 Elevation 5.3L

WE HAVE ONLY HAD THE VEHICLE LESS THAN 3 MONTHS AND WHEN LEAVING FOR WORK IN THE MORNING THE BRAKE PEDAL WAS EXTREMELY HARD. ALSO THE FOLLOWING ERRORS CAME UP, TRAILER BRAKE MALFUNCTION DO NOT DRIVE VEHICLE OVER 62 Mph, BRAKE LIGHT, TRACTION CONTROL DISABLED, ABS MALFUNCTION. WAS TOLD IT WOULD TAKE 2 DAYS FOR PART AND WHEN I PICKED UP LOANER THEY CHANGED THAT TO 5 DAYS BECAUSE NONE OF THE DEALERS CARRY THE PART. WELL TODAY HAS BEEN A WEEK AND STILL NOTHING ON MY TRUCK. HOPE THIS GETS RESOLVED SOON SO I CAN ENJOY MY TRUCK I AM PAYING FOR AND NOT A LOANER.

- Richard M., Baldwin Park, CA, US