9.1

$2,910

1. get new engine (56 reports)
  3. replace short block (27 reports)
  4. replaced engine (18 reports)
  5. honda paid for full repair (12 reports)
  6. get a new car (9 reports)
2006 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Feb 012019

Civic LX 1.8L

Honda extended the warranty to fix this issue up to 10 years. In my case the engine block cracked on the 12th year. No longer covered by warranty. Estimated cost to fix was $4000. I made the decision to put this money towards buying a new car instead. I wish the car had lasted a couple of years more since I was not ready to start car payments yet.

From a safety point of view, it sucks that this happened and when it happened. I remembered, a Saturday as I was drying my son to his martial arts class my heating was not working. After a few minutes, it started to work again. Lack of experience with this issue did not raise any red flags. On Sunday, I did not drive. On Monday, it was a very cold day (-35 C). Again the heating was not working and the temperature gauge was elevated. I dropped off my son at school and decided to continue driving thinking it was due to the extremely cold weather. About 15 kilometers into my trip, the car started to overheat. Heating was still not working. I was freezing inside the car due to the extreme weather. My car stopped in the middle of they highway but I was able to steer it towards the shoulder. After a few minutes of wondering my next move. I didn't have any road assistance service and did not want to be stuck in the highway in this extreme cold. I was able to restart the car after a few minutes. Knowing that I was closer to work than home, I continued driving. I soon as I was able to exit the highway I got out and stopped the car at the closest side-street and turned off the engine. I was still a couple of kilometers from work. I tried to restart the car but it wouldn't start. I grabbed my things, locked the car and walked to work. Later that day, after Google-ling the issue, I went to a gas station and got coolant and refilled the radiator. Moved the car to my work parking lot and called my mechanic.

The issue was assessed as a crack in the engine block that led to coolant to sip into the engine and causing the car to over heat.

After considering fixing it, I ended up getting a new car and sold the old car for $500.

- Edward C., Toronto, ON, Canada

Dec 152018

Civic EX 1.8L

2nd time owner. Purchased in 2016 for $7k. Upon purchase, dumped $2200 of repairs into the vehicle. Have kept up with all maintenance. Completed my own work on the vehicle. Replaced AC Compressor. Replaced all 4 tires 2 months prior to crack in the engine block issue. Absolutely no reason why the vehicle should have died on me (unless something happened to the transmission which is very hard to determine when something like that would happen).

Contacted multiple dealerships; all told me they couldn't help me. Contacted Honda international and filed a case. The case stretched 2 and a half months before I heard any word for any kind of assistance. They quoted $6,995 for the repair and promised to provide assistance which would knock my out of pocket cost down to $4,400 plus any dealership tax. When I asked if they could apply the credit to a new vehicle purchase, they denied the request.

Absolutely disappointed in Honda. Furious that my car (which could have had another 2-3 years of life) is not a giant paperweight because of a manufacturer defect.

One purpose of a TSB is to avoid a media frenzy and quietly replace/repair vehicle issues. For example, A similar situation happened with Ford a number of years back where the frames rusted prematurely on their trucks. Ford replace/repaired everything in order to avoid media attention and keep their customers happy. Honda is neglecting its customers who have bought vehicles with the expectation that they would fail from normal wear and tear; not from their own manufacturing errors. Why are they able to get away with something like this?? Why is there not a class action suit against them? Why is this not a public issue on the news? This is outrageous

- ddowdy, Doylestown, US

Nov 152018

Civic LX 1.8L

My Honda Civic 2006 has a crack on the engine block. I contact to Honda of America because the problem is originated for bad manufactured engine block as is published in Service Bulletin 10-048. Customer Service asked me to take the car to an authorized Honda and the diagnostic was cracked engine block and the recommendation is replace the engine block. After one week waiting the answer from Honda of America the they say the repair will cost $6,950 and I have to pay more than $2k from my own because the warranty ended. It is clear that Honda does not have any consideration for their own mistakes. It is a shame because $6900 is the third of the price a new car.

Very disappointing!

- Willo F., Strathmore, CA, US

Aug 192018

Civic EX 1.8L

Original owner of a 2006 Honda Civic EX coupe. I've taken great care of my car. Have all receipts. Same story as everyone else. No previous issues. Great car until this! Dealership has been wonderful and paying for a rental car while I'm in "mediation" with Honda Canada. Offer from Honda Canada consisted of 3 choices: 1. $1000 towards a new car 2. $4600 to replace with new engine block..... at MY COST 3. $2800 to replace with used engine block.....at MY COST

Yes, at 230,000 kms I've overextended both my mileage and time warranties but bottom line if Honda didn't have a faulty product I'm confident that I'd be enjoying my car well into 400 if not 500,000 kms!! How is it fair that a poorly maintained vehicle with 199,000kms qualifies for an engine replacement and my beautiful little rust free car doesn't?

To say that I'm disappointed with Honda Canada is an understatement! I have come to expect way more from a company with such quality products. I feel as if my concerns have fallen on deaf ears. I chose to by a Honda product for my first new car purchase ever!! I researched and talked to people and chose Honda over all the others for it's quality and seemingly integrity for customer care! I had this car oil sprayed yearly. I maintained all maintainance schedules. I responded in a timely manner to all manufacturer recall and warranty issues...... except one, namely the "Engine Overheats or Leaks Coolant" warranty extension which states "NO action is required on your part unless you experience a problem"

In the future you can be sure that I will investigate such a notice much further!! After this experience I will have the dealer examine the suspect part to ensure no such future potential issues!! How would Honda Canada like that? If every client made such a request!! As mentioned previously I trusted Honda Canada's integrity to do the right and honest thing! This in my opinion is a recall issue but Honda chose a more economical solution to instead extend the warranty. Shame on you!

Question to all...... Has anyone used/tried JB Weld as a solution?? Thanks and please advise.

- Kim M., Newmarket, ON, Canada

Jul 252018

Civic EX 1.8L

Very disappointing because I never got any letter that this matter was a recall. I was trying to fight for reimbursement although the warranty has expired. It's sad because it only had 200k km on it. So it's very annoying.

- Nylan M., Vancouver, BC, Canada

Jul 132018

Civic EX 1.8L

I bought a 2006 Honda Civic 2 months ago from a small 3rd part dealership. My temperature gauge was spiking so I decided to take the car to a local Honda Dealership. I was told, like so many other people, that I had a crack on my engine block and needed to replace the entire engine.

When I informed the mechanics that my temperature gauge had been spiking for about a week, they were surprised the car made it that long in one piece. They strongly advised me not to drive the car as is for safety reasons.

How is this not a recall?

- Frank H., Bethlehem, US

Jun 292018

Civic

Yet another 2006 Honda Civic with a cracked engine block. No warning whatsoever. Had it serviced two weeks ago and fluid levels were fine. The cars been in the family since brand new and I have maintenance records since date of purchase. Honda needs to step up and deal with this. 10 years is an arbitrary time period for a known manufacturing defect. This is not a normal wear and tear issue. I buy cars new and expect 200,000 miles out of them. I've got a Toyota that is going strong with almost 300,000. At the moment I have a piece of scrap metal with 137,000 miles on it because the cost of repair greatly exceeds value of car. If Honda doesn't make this right they have lost a customer and a family of customers for life.

- Christine G., Austin, US

Apr 042018

Civic

Original owner. No other problem with vehicle. Well cared for. Car began overheating. No visible signs of problem. Had checked several times and problem couldn't be found except to say it was losing coolant. Last time to my mechanic he said it was a probable small crack in the block and the engine needed to be replaced. This is a large financial burden. I took very good care of my car. Upon reading about the problem online I read it was a manufacturers defect and am upset I was never informed about this problem. I wish to seek help for the repair.

- Elizabeth K., Cleveland, TN, US

Mar 292018

Civic EX

My 2006 Civic slowed to a crawl and started smoking from under the hood on Thursday, March 29, 2018 while driving down the highway. There were no warnings or precursors to this event. Luckily I was able to find a safe place on the side of the highway without being struck by another vehicle or precipitating an accident. AAA towed to our mechanic who ran a coolant pressure test which revealed a cracked engine block. I am the 2nd owner. The vehicle was bought in 2007 as certified from local dealer. I was given no notice of warranty extension or TSB 10-048. Had I known, I would have sold the vehicle before incurring these unexpected costs for an obvious manufacturing defect.

Honda Civics manufactured between 2006 - 2009 have this defect. If was due to a redesigned engine that had a weak aluminum casting defect which causes a coolant leak. Over time this leak worsens. In my case, it appears that all of the coolant was released at once causing catastrophic failure. Honda issued Technical Service Bulletin 10-048 was issued on January 9, 2015 that covered all VINs begins with 1HG or 2HG. My Honda Civic VIN begins 1HG. The TSB states that the engine block may leak engine coolant resulting in engine overheating. The TSB also stated that the vehicle warranty would be extended from eight to ten years for affected vehicles. The TSB was extended to include 2009 Civics with the 1HG and 2HG VIN numbers. VIN’s starting with 19X were also added at this time.

This is an obvious safety concern which should have been escalated into a recall instead of a TSB.

Why is a Safety Recall not in effect for this? With a Safety Recall...Honda would have to send out a mandatory notice for a Safety recall. Obviously if a car just stops while driving and catches fire, it can result in serious injuries. Only a secret warranty...TSB (Technical service bulletin) was put out for this. With a technical service bulletin..tsb...honda does not have to notify the owners of their mistakes or defects in the vehicle they sold.

If anyone has information on the Class Action Lawsuit with honda on this " TSB" secret warranty defect, please advise. The defect which Honda admits to (because of the TSB) meets the requirement for a safety recall, so what's going on?

- RECALLvsTSBsecretWarranty S., Indianapolis, US

Mar 032018

Civic LX 1.81L 4

We purchased the Honda Civic from the dealership and were never apprised of any warranty extension in 2010. If we had, we would not have purchased this vehicle. Honda notified us of two other recalls (airbag, visor) but never notified us of problems with the engine. The Honda has been seen at three different Honda dealerships and all repairs/maintenance done at them, but never did any of the three tell us about the engine. The dealership we purchased it from won't pay, even though they were aware that they were selling us a defective car. The Federal Trade Commission Act of 1985 states they must let buyers be aware of problems, but they didn't. New legislation indicates that it must be marked on cars that they sell second hand. Since this is a manufactures defect, it should be repaired by the manufacture and not the owner. This car is still in great condition, but not worth more than $3,000. The quote for a new engine was $5,766. This continues to be a major safety issue and Honda needs to be held responsible for faculty vehicles.

- Eileen J., Eugene, US

Aug 242017

Civic LE 1.8L

I am the original owner and purchased the 2006 new with continually maintenance. I was never notified by Honda or the dealership that an issue with their was an issue with the engine block. Without notice!!! the car started to overheat and in approximately .4 of a mile the engine shut down. Assuming a water pump the pump was replaced but that did not stop the coolant leak. I had to taken to a Goodyear shop for evaluation thinking it was a hose underneath. After another $100 I was told I had a cracked engine block. I call the dealership for the service manager who never called me back.. I borrowed a car for work and then drove to the dealership to see the mgr. (not available) service write up person said he could help even though I wanted the mgr. Explained what happened and that I found a technical bulletin posted on the web under consumer reports and showed him the posting for a 10 yr extension. He check the computer and said I was absolutely right and to have the car towed in 1st thing in the a.m. and I would get a NEW engine and it would be ready for the weekend. When I questioned the 10 yr limit posted and that I am about 10 months past this he said it did not matter as I was the original owner and that was waived for original owners. I paid $155 to tow the vehicle in and then then approximately 4:30 the next day he said he could not cover it under warranty. Obviously, I asked why he had me tow it to the dealership. Mgr still not available and I said that was not good enough and I wanted the phone number of Honda USA. I called and opened a claim. Honda said each case is looked at on a case by case basis. After weeks of run around I was told they would not do anything.

I tried working with Honda and said I understood it was not a new car but I was the original owner and it is not a buyer be ware situation. I even was willing to work with them and accept a used engine with a year warranty but still no cooperation.

I feel this is wrong! They new the engine was bad an admitted so. They even reimbursed cost to owners who were forced to pay out of pocket. Why should consumers be taken advantage of? It is now 4 months and I am not letting go. I am seeking legal counsel to peruse formal action. How many others are willing to join me?

- Lina R., Pitsburgh, US

Aug 122017

Civic LX

Purchased a used car from a certified Honda dealership around 2007. A few days ago upon inspection, my engine block had a crack in it. when I contacted Honda regarding the recall, they told me that the ORIGINAL owner was made aware of the recall on the 2006 engines, however, I was never made aware of it! I am furious because I would not be in the financial situation that I am currently in now had I been made aware of the recall. Purchasing the car should have made me the rightful owner, especially from a Honda dealership, and now i am stuck deciding to replace the engine or scrap the car for a new one as it is already 10 years old.

- Logan A., San Diego, US

Aug 112017

Civic EX 1.8L

Add my civic to the list of those with a cracked block, I just bought it and only had been driving it for 2 weeks. I called Honda and they said the warranty on the problem expired in 2015, my luck. I guess this problem is common in the 2006 to 2009 Honda civic's so do not buy one. Not worth taking a chance on a used engine and a new one is $4000.00.

- Bret U., Topeka, US

Jun 232017

Civic LX 2.0L

Head cracked at 72,000 miles, left me stranded 2 hours from home in the middle of nowhere, had to pay $1100 to have car towed to Larry H Miller Honda in Spokane where they sat on the car for two weeks before they would tell me how much it would cost to get fixed. They told me Honda would cover half of the repair cost because it was a year out of extended warranty but, my portion was going to be over $5000.00! It needs a new block and head and some other parts.

The dealer refused to give me a written estimate and would only communicate via phone calls, no emails. I finally threw a fit and they sent me a hand written estimate with a disclaimer basically saying the estimate is not accurate. The service person at the dealership would not give me contact info for anyone at Honda USA, including the regional rep he was allegedly talking to.... I will never buy a Honda again nor would I promote the local dealership.

- E E., Spokane, US

Jun 282017

Civic EX

I have a 2006 Honda Civic, it developed a cracked engine at 100K+ miles and coolant leaked. Thankfully, we were able to pull over safely, but had to have the car towed.

This is a known issue with Honda Civic with a weak point in their new aluminum engine with a warranty issued number 10-048. However, I never received my notice they claimed to have sent.

Initially the warranty was issued for 8 years and then increased to 10 years. How ever my Honda is 11 years old and Honda refuses to do anything. Shame on Honda for knowingly providing a defective product and not fixing it.

- kwdreams, Chicago, US

Apr 032017

Civic LX 1.8L

Didn't receive my recall letter, and I had to come to this website and make deeper research to find out that I was out of warranty and I had to pay for a new engine block. The problem was fixed however, I had to take out unexpected funds for Honda's poor communication. I have been with this company for as long as I can remember, both of my vehicles where hondas. Now is time to change to a new company.

- LZ M., Stockton, CA, US

Apr 202017

Civic LX

I have a 2006 Honda Civic, it developed a cracked engine at 110K miles and coolant leaked. Its a known issue with Honda Civic with a weak point in their new aluminum engine with a warranty issued number 10-048. Initially the warranty was issued for 8 years and then increased to 10 years. How ever my Honda is 11 years old and in spite of low mileage Honda refuses to do anything. Shame on Honda for providing a defective product and not fixing it.

- Khurram K., Shawnee Mission, KS, US

May 092017

Civic

We bought this 2006 Honda Civic from AutoFair Honda, Manchester, New Hampshire in Oct. 2015. At that time, Honda already was aware that there was a problem w/ the engine block on this car and leaked coolant. Nevertheless, they sold us the vehicle w/ a two-year warranty. Yesterday, May 9 2016, the engine block problem arose and left us stranded -- technically, we are no longer under warranty but shouldn't have the Honda dealership dealt with this before selling it?.. We are a married couple, seniors who live in subsidized housing in a rural area of New England. We have no idea how we're going to deal with this.

- Ray C., Warner, US

May 012017

Civic EX Cope 1.8L

Pulled my 2006 Honda Civic EX Coupe out last weekend (after being stored for the winter) and my thermostat started reading very hot while I was driving. Pulled the car over and noticed smoking from under the hood (barley had coolant in). Took the car to my repair man and he told me I'm leaking coolant from my engine block (cracked block). Took the car to the Honda dealership and was just notified that American Honda is refusing to help me with the issue because I am passed the 10 year extended warranty. I told the dealer I bought the car in 09 and the recall was issued in 07-08 and asked why they never fixed the engine before selling me the car? He told me that there wasn't an "issue with my car at the time of sale" so they didn't change the block. I am infuriated and will be calling American Honda on Monday. Though, after reading all of these reviews I have little hope that they will help me as they seem to not want to step up and taking care of other Honda customers.

- Ashly Z., Cudahy, US

Mar 272017

Civic DX-G 1.8L

I can't believe how many people have had the same problem as me. I have had my civic for more than 11 yrs with no issue ever. Three weeks ago on my way to work the engine overheats. I stop the car and get it towed to my mechanic. He calls me later to say I have a cracked block and the engine is now useless and needs to be replaced. I did receive a letter from Honda Canada stating that they know there is a problem with the engine blocks and are extending the warranty to 10 yrs with unlimited mileage. After calling their " customer service" number I had to wait two weeks for them to get back to me. And of course it's the old company line of " sorry sir but your warranty has expired so we cannot help you".It infuriates me and utterly blows my mind that they take no responsibility for selling me a car with an engine that they knew was faulty but did nothing about. Where was the recall??? I bought the car brand new believing I was getting Honda quality and reliability. I did everything to maintain and look after my car. Nothing I did caused the engine block to crack and there was nothing I could do to prevent it because it was faulty from the day it was made. The only question was when the engine block would decide to crack. It should not matter when the engine fails because the reason it fails is the same in every case and that is because it was manufactured with a flaw. How is that now my fault just because it did not occur within Honda self imposed time limit. I work in the automotive industry and everyone I talk to can't believe that Honda would not step up and deal with a known problem regardless of time. Honda Canada's customer service has not been interested at all to hear any of my concerns but they stick to their script of sorry but your warranty has expired. That is the biggest pile of bs in the world and I can't believe they would treat their paying customer so poorly. How can you turn your back on a faulty engine block because my car is now literally worthless with a broken engine that is 100% Hondas fault. Never ever will I drive another Honda. I am done with them.

- David N., Delta, BC, Canada