6.0

2016 Honda Civic engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Civic:

2016 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jul 222016

Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Engine makes a grinding noise on warm start up. Car needs to sit for one hour after driving any significant distance. I've had it happen after driving only 5 miles. When I start it up it makes a loud, embarrassing and troubling whirring/grinding noise for about 3/4 of a second. Honda says they're "looking into it" after I took it to a dealer and they replicated the problem. I found forums of people complaining about this problem from early 2016. I'm fairly certain they know what it is and refuse to acknowledge it. As of 3/8/17 it's still happening. Honda has known about this for at least a year and 3 months now.

I called Honda Customer Service to complain about it, to ask questions about how long they've been "looking into it" and they refused to tell me anything. I consider the car a lemon, and don't entirely trust it to last. Just look up Honda 2016 engine grinding noise and you'll get a lot of anecdotes, videos etc of the same exact problem.

What is wrong with the engine? Just issue a recall and fix it already.

- Cyril .., Mechanicsburg, PA, US

Jan 062017

Civic VTI LX 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

grinding engine sound (hush noise while running)

The car was built Nov. 2016 and I was waiting for about one and half months before I can touch the car. I drove the car for a week until I recognise a grinding engine sound, at first I tried to ignore the noise, maybe its just the air-conditioning making a thin noise but it become obvious every time I accelerate the car. Now the sound is getting bad, I open the hood and find out where the sound from but its all over the engine noise.

Its very annoying for a week old car that have this noise issue like a 10 years old 350,000km on the clock old car.

I realised that Im not the only owner having this issue for their new Honda Civic 2016.

I hope Honda will find a solution for this issue because it happen all over the world and it kills Hondas reputation in the market.

- kamn1974, Sydney, NSW, Australia