$4,000

2. replace cylinder head (2 reports)
2009 Honda Fit engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Fit:

2009 Honda Fit Owner Comments

Jun 102016

Fit Sport 1.5L

• CVT transmission

click to see larger images

spark plug blew out cylinder head

Honda wants $7826 for cylinder head replacement or $3377 for salvage engine with 15k miles? No good will available at dealership. At least my 4th Honda. Seeking alternative fixes. Will never be purchasing a Honda again.

- Elm B., Albany, NY, US

Aug 292015

Fit Sport 1.5L

I had all maintenance done on time time. I think spark plugs should be checked before 100,000 miles. Honda paid 80% one time goodwill.

- Tim R., Simi Valley, CA, US

May 152015

Fit Sport

Check engine light came on -- we had it checked out, and were told it was a misfire and we should not worry. Several days later, the light came back on and the next day we broke down on the highway. We were told that a spark plug blew off and tore a hole in the cylinder head, but this wasn't covered on the bulls**t extended warranty (from the National Warranty Corporation) and wasn't covered by the factory warranty either.

The dealership called Honda to ask for a "goodwill" repair, and after they asked us a bunch of irrelevant questions they offered to pay for 60% of a $6k fix (all new parts, obviously). The spark plugs weren't due for replacement for almost 40k more miles. This seems to me like a mechanical failure but basically we're SOL. After some research I see that this isn't an isolated incident, so I'm not planning to buy another Honda if this is their idea of customer service.

- Alexandra S., Tacoma, WA, US

Jan 182014

Fit

The spark plug was undamaged but the hole it screws into would not accept the spark plug. The extended warranty company denied the claim stating that it was "specifically" not covered. So now I have a broken car with an apparent factory defect that I cannot fix nor drive.

- Daphne B., Houston, TX, US