2016 Honda HR-V transmission problems: not working properly

Not Working Properly

2016 Honda HR-V

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

2016 Honda HR-V transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda HR-V:

2016 Honda HR-V Owner Comments

Jul 102019

HR-V

• CVT transmission

I was driving the HRV Honda. I had to stop at the red light. When the green light came on and I had to accelerate to move the car, the car jerked and didn't want to move in Drive and at Reverse. The engine was running but the car wasn't moving. This car is only two years and 8 months old. I called the dealer and he told me that it could be the CVT transmission. I know a Toyota dealer who told me that the latest Honda models have transmission problems. I bought the car because I was told it is reliable. I found out that it is not reliable as expected. I once was driving the car and all the lights on the dashboard lit up and I had to stop. I had to disconnect the battery and connect back again to make that problem go away. The problem had to go away after I disconnected and connected back three times.

- Sidi Benzahra C., HIGHLAND, CA, US

May 112017

HR-V EX-L 1.8L

We have had oil leaks since 8th may 2017 when the first service was done. It was taken to a Honda dealership to find out what the problem was. They put dye in to see exactly where the oil was coming from. We waited 2 weeks, took it back and were told there were no oil leaks. We put white paper down on the garage floor to see if there were still oil leaks, there is and we are now daily taking the dates of every oil leak that happens.

Is Honda going to do something about this, or are they waiting to see how many consumers are reporting the problem.

- Margaret C., Comox, BC, Canada

Jun 252015

HR-V EX 1.8L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

cvt transmission constantly wants to slow down vehicle

I bought my HR-V on May 19, 2015 after my dealer bought back my 2014 Accord EX-L/Nav due to electrical problems. The HR-V seemed like a great SUV until about 1 month after I bought it. My commute is about 3 miles through town at 25mph and then a short highway commute into Seattle. The CVT transmission in this car feels like it wants to pull back at 25 mph into the car behind me-almost feels like the car is in quick sand when it is hunting for ratios to get "good" fuel economy (I'm currently getting 17mpg as of 1/2/2016). When I am in stop and go highway traffic, the CVT is so jerky that I am afraid I am going to get rear ended. As soon as I take my foot of the gas pedal, the car instantly decelerates so fast and with no brake lights on, it almost reminds me of regenerative braking in electric cars- it does have a slow crawling ability (about 5mph) whatsoever. This is very dangerous. If electric cars are required to have the brake lights automatically triggered when engine braking is used, then CVTs should have it. I had someone roll down there window in town and tell me that my brake lights seemed to be out because my car was slowing down. Do I have to drive this car with two feet, one to modulate throttle and one to put brake lights on when it automatically slows down? If you want peace of mind, don't buy Honda. This is my second one and both were burdens. I'll make sure my next car is a 6 speed automatic, smooth and trouble free.

- marc0531, Issaquah, WA, US