2017 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 132018

Santa Fe

The Santa Fe sport was purchased in July of 2017. When taking off from a redlight or while driving at a steady momentum on the road, the acceleration drops significantly and the rpms begin to rev up high, bouncing up and down, but the Santa Fe sport will stall. While on the highway, the issue continues and panic sents in due to the cars behind us can rear end the Santa Fe sport. No matter how far or hard the gas pedal is pressed the Santa Fe sport will stall. All while no "engine light" turns on. Took the Santa Fe sport for service to the dealer over 6 times between 2017 and 2018 and only an ems part was replaced. The problem continues mostly in very bad traffic, again very concerning for safety. The Santa Fe sport needs to be turned off and back on in order for the problem to cease. No matter what drive mode it is in (eco; sport; normal) the issue persists. We purchased a brand new 2017 Santa Fe sport right off the lot which has been paid for and it is unfair that we are still paying what seems like our lives we continue to spend more with gas, tolls, travel and time from work to take the Santa Fe sport in for service and we do not get refunded for this.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 112018

Santa Fe

Purchased car in June 2017 and currently have approx. 5100 miles. When going from a standstill stop or a slow rolling start (exiting a driveway) the acceleration is lacking. Car will go high rpms but no speed. And when attempting to merge onto a road way it has become a safety concern as approaching cars from the rear close what was a safe distance to being on top of the bumper in no time since I can not accelerate. 0-40 can take upwards of 30 seconds with pedal depressed full. Car was taken in for service at dealer in December 2017 and was "corrected". now the problem has become worse and car will produce problem more freqently and in any driving condition to include being in traffic. The only way I can somewhat correct the issues (and figured it out during trial and error) is to turn the drive mode to sport and turn off traction control. When car is in eco the problem is much more serve and in normal it frequently happens. I do not feel I should have to adjust or turn off systems in a vehicle to make it safe to drive nor should I have a vehicle I can not drive at safe speeds.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Dec 282017

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. While having an oil change performed on the vehicle, the local dealer began to inspect the vehicle for a recall. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 17V578000 (engine and engine cooling). The part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The local dealer (gosch Hyundai, 100 carriage circle, hemet, ca 92545) stated that the inspection tool was not available, but was ordered. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and was not able to confirm when the parts were to become available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Aug 012017

Santa Fe

Engine stumbles when accelerator is pressed at low speeds, especially from a stop or turning a corner. I call it throttle lag or stumbling.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Sep 122017

Santa Fe

Had this Santa Fe for a little over a year. I have noticed several instances of not being able to accelerate, or gain speed, especially when turning or starting from a stopped position, it hesitates to start to the point of almost being hit several times. I have taken it to dealer many times, and they keep telling me its the way I am driving it that the engine is like a standard vehicle, but that doesnt seem safe to me if I am trying to start driving and it wont go. When it does finally decide to go, it takes off way too fast and is like, it finally decides to shift into gear. Also while in park, engine revs to 2500rpm for no reason or idols at that RPM. It feels like the engine is pulling the car forward even when it is in park I have been given the run around so many times, I am tired of it. I'm not happy to see others have this issue, but I am also glad that others are experiencing the same problems.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Sep 012016

Santa Fe

My 2017 Santa Fe sport ultimate 2.0 turbo hesitates badly when coming out of turns or slowing... just short of coming to a stop...and then attempting to accelerate. It is very pronounced when in eco mode, but is an issue to a lesser degree in the other two driving modes. I think it borders on dangerous. It happens all the time, pretty much in this scenario. The date I list below is just the earliest date.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Jan 012017

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving, the engine stalled without warning. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 9,000.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

May 232017

Santa Fe

Car leased in Feb. 2017. Just after finalized, noticed this serious problem: The acceleration after a turn is extremely slow and takes an unreasonable amount of time causing danger of vehicle behind slamming into back end. Upon accelerating after a turn there is so much hesitation that it caused driver and passengers to lunge forward once the engine kicks in. The light indicating slipping usually comes on when this happens as well. My son drove it today with my younger boy and they were almost rear ended. I've talked to dealer twice about this.

- East Amherst, NY, USA

May 102017

Santa Fe

My wife and I have had the same intermittent problem since acquiring our 2017 Santa Fe brand new in the late spring of 2016. When turning from a stop or making a very low speed turn, and then starting to accelerate, the vehicle will stall and hesitate, not moving or "catching" for 1-2 seconds. This has happened to us approximately 6-8 times. And I've nearly been rear-ended on several of those occasions because I was stalled in front of traffic behind me, also trying to make the turn. Once I barely cleared the intersection at a light when turning left, having the Santa Fe stall in the face of oncoming traffic. I was nearly broadsided by swift moving, oncoming traffic. Someone is going to be killed if this problem is not fully addressed as soon as possible. The public needs protection and a remedy. I can't imagine Hyundai is unaware of this problem. I did a quick google search on the topic, and found many, many postings regarding this exact same set of circumstances. There were Hyundai message board complaints, NHTSA complaints, "lemon" law firms whoa are advertising, seeking potential 2017 Santa Fe owning clients, citing this exact set of facts. It's difficult to confirm exact dates, as this has occurred multiple times. The most recent time it happened was in early May 2017, at an intersection less than a mile from our home, making a left turn from a stop, with traffic lined up behind us.

- Chico, CA, USA

Mar 232017

Santa Fe

The "check engine light" indicator turned on, and there was a recognizable failure in engine when srtarting. Took it back to dealerand took nearlya month to find the inconvinience and two weeks to fix it. They call me back to annuonce me it was ready and by the time I was reciving I noticed the air conditionar not functioning at all. Once again one more week to find the missfunctioning and reparing, now the veihicle is consumming to much gasoline (almost half tank in 87 kilometer) the injectors problem plevails. I get the Santa Fe in MÉxico, ciudad juarez chihuahua at hyndai penta is the name of the Agency, as a brand new vehicle whit 0 kilometers and I pay it in cash I hope you can help me because they dont want to respond. Thank you.

- Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, TX, USA

Apr 282017

Santa Fe

The vehicle fails to accelerate past the initial press of the accelerator from a stop leaving you committed in traffic without power for around 2 seconds. Stepping on the accelerator fails to produce any power. Just had the vehicle looked at by Hyundai who said they can find nothing wrong. Hyundai also said there are no bulletins or recalls. A search on the internet shows an alarming amount of chatter from other owners with the same issue. There is under 6000 miles on the vehicle and this has happened numerous times, intermittently.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 182017

Santa Fe

During acceleration from stop or low speed turn, car has no or little response from accelerator, happens on dry pavement as well as wet, traction control light flashes.at this point there is no traction issues.reported to Hyundai dealer checked 3 times and said all was fine, not satisfied with answer I contacted Hyundai customer service and spoke to chris wells opened a case with them #10059476 on 3/15/2017.ive had phone contact with him, he said he would give it to the guys upstairs but still no satisfaction.big saftey concern!!! please help!

- Lincroft, NJ, USA

Apr 162017

Santa Fe

My new Hyundai Santa Fe has a hesitation or pause problem. Randomly the engine or power train does not respond when attempting to accelerate. It is a dangerous safety problem when it happens. If you are entering a highway, slowing down and then re accelerating, entering an intersection from a stop sign. The condition can leave you in a panic situation when there is no response for a few seconds and then the acceleration kicks in. Your driving timing confuses others approaching you. The condition happens going straight or turning. You could be completely stopped, rolling slowly.. I have driven this vehicle for 800 miles. It has a 2.0 liter engine with a turbo.

- Allston, MA, USA

Mar 042017

Santa Fe 4-cyl

Engine stalled (died) when attempting to cross 3 lanes of traffic. This occurred 2 times when on vacation. Vehicle was returned to dealer for service. Dealer had vehicle for over a month and said they couldn't duplicate problem. During this time there was a national recall issued by Hyundai for Santa Fe. I thought are problems would be solved. But was informed that the recall only covered upto production year 2015. We received a 2017 Santa Fe loaner for use during the time they assessed our vehicle, this vehicle also stalled. I reported this to the service Mar. He said he couldn't do anything until Hyundai authorized a recall for 2017. I told him that they probably won't until they sold off all their new vehicle inventory. We took our vehicle home. 1 day later the vehicle stalled when my wife pulled out on to a busy highway. These vehicles are a significant safety hazard.

- Webster City, IA, USA

Jul 122016

Santa Fe

2017 Santa Fe ultimate 2.0T. Car does not accelerate and lags. Happens at a lower speed and from a stop. Very scary when making a left turn and entering freeway.depressing accelerator and nothing happens for a second or more, then all of a sudden it takes off. At low speed in parking lot depress accelerator lightly and car takes off. When accelerating from a stop car will accelerate quickly while depressing pedal gently. Does not happen every time but is frequent enough to be concerned. Has happened since new.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Apr 062017

Santa Fe

Sometimes, when I press the gas to accelerate, my car does not go. It will move forward at a slow pace but then doesn't go as fast as I'm pressing the gas pedal, even though my rpms are increasing. This has almost caused an accident because the car does not perform as it should. Happened today for probably the 10th time since I've had the car, less than a month. Pulling out of a parking lot onto the street, my car move's forward very slowly then when I go to increase my speed the car doesn't go faster.

- Lyndhurst, OH, USA

Apr 032017

Santa Fe

Hit pot hole after stop and stability control stops power to transmission...5-8 seconds of no accelaration has caused safety issue when merging into traffic. Appears to be a very common problem on user based forums.

- Morrisville, VT, USA

Mar 312017

Santa Fe

When accelerating out of a very low speed turn (such as turning at an intersection or pulling out of a parking lot into a roadway) the engine suffers a complete loss of power for 1-2 seconds. It does not happen all of the time. But frequently enough to make one worry about pulling out into traffic.

- Dalton, OH, USA

Mar 072017

Santa Fe

The Santa Fe sport turbo engine severely hesitates to accelerate when coming out of turns or roundabouts to the point where I was almost rear ended! when the engine catches up, it jerks your head back. The other day was the worst when I entered a parking garage with an incline. Upon acceleration, the engine hesitated to the point I almost started rolling backwards. When it finally kicked in, the car surged forward as if the acceleration pedal was floored. A pedestrian literally jumped out of the way thinking my car was going to hit him. This engine is a safety issue!

- Appleton, WI, USA

Sep 062016

Santa Fe

I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe ultimate and like the other complaints, the car has hesitation when trying to accelerate especially after a stop, bump in road, slowing down, etc. The dealership has had the car several times trying different things such as try a different mode, reset transmission computer, etc. I've called Hyundai customer service and filed a compliant open but I don't want the car anymore it hesitates too long/too many times and scares the crap out of me. It's dangerous and needs a recalled.

- Monongahela, PA, USA