2011 Hyundai Sonata steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata (Page 30 of 43)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Sonata has a seriously defective engine that seizes without warning. It was awarded the dubious honor of being the first CarTalk / CarComplaints Turd of the Week in late September 2015.

2011 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

2011 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 30 of 43)

Sep 162013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata gls. The contact stated that while attempting to make a left or right turn, the steering column would make a loud clucking noise. In addition, the vehicle had become rough to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic stated that the steering column was not working properly. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 15,142.

- North Palm Beach, FL, USA

Oct 062010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the power steering and ESC warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 152013

Sonata

My car was just serviced for excessive noise occurring when I would make turns as if the car could not grip the road. I brought the car to the deal as was told the alignment must be off, only to find that there was a recall that I was never told of. The dealer replaced the lower control arms on the car and a new alignment part their "TP3 recall" but when driving home the car did not make noises when making the turns on the on/off ramps but rather when driving straight and/or when changing lanes. Dealer due to being a Sunday and service department being closed as me to call them back. This will be the 3rd time I have had to bring the car in for the same issue with each time the steering column being loose and a natural pull to the driver side.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Aug 122013

Sonata 4-cyl

This vehicle is impossible to drive in a straight line. Vehicle is constantly pulling to the right or left and requires constant attention. It is almost as if steering wheel has not been centered. I thought that this problem is with my vehicle, but after driving my friends brand new Sonata I concluded that this is the Hyundai problem. Dealer is denying that there is anything wrong with the car; however problem still persists.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 262011

Sonata 4-cyl

The constant recurring problem is my car will not start. I have been stranded several times and have each one documented. I also have problems with the steering wheel locking and the brakes are unable to press. I have contacted an attorney regarding the lemon law and she has notified the Hyundai motor America. My car is currently in the repair shop again and this has gone on for the 2 1/2 years I have owned it. There are over 598,000 complaints against this model of car and the problems are very serious and can cause deadly accidents. My car will not click out of the cruise control feature so I cannot use that feature. The brake lights do not always work and I have been stopped by cars behind me to tell me I have no lights and they almost hit me. What does it take to get this model of car recalled before many deaths occur. The internet has this problem documented and a recall was issued to replace that switch. I have taken my car in to have the brake light sensor replaced twice and it still occurs. I have to continue to pay payments on this car while I drive a rental car. I basically do not have a safe car to drive so I can't go anywhere in fear of being stranded. Can you please look into this and safe lives before it is too late?

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 182013

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the ball joints, axle and steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000....updated 08-08-13 the consumer stated the bearing in the front wheel, joint assembly, bearing bracket, arm control unit and knuckle to the front axle, were all replaced.

- Greenwood , IN, USA

Jun 112013

Sonata 4-cyl

When the car is running in park, the steering wheel everytime when turned or rocked in a right to left motion, a clunking loose sound will be felt and heard.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Mar 222013

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was advised to the contact that the alignment was off. The vehicle was repaired but the problem persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Lockhaven , PA, USA

May 122013

Sonata

My vehicle has had an alignment done four times in the last year, first two by pepboys and last two from Hyundai but the car continues to pull to the left on highway. This is an issue reported with the 2011 Sonata. Hyundai has not done anything to resolve this issue. Last week my wife almost had a head-on collision when her the car pulled to the left on a two lane highway. There are several reports about this issue. You can simply google " Sonata pulling" and you will have plenty of results on this issue. money.cnn.com/2011/08/15/autos/hyundai_steering_fix/index.htm I took my car to holler Hyundai orlando www.hollerhyundai.com/index.htm.

- Wwinter Springs , FL, USA

May 122013

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the steering wheel vibrated violently and the vehicle became difficult to maneuver. The contact shut the vehicle off and the steering wheel continued to vibrate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed the cause for failure could not be found. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 76,000.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

May 032013

Sonata

I own a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I have taken my vehicle back to Hyundai in killeen to have the alignment repaired two times. When I initially received the car it pull very hard to the left, then once they "fixed it" it still pulled. I paid initially to have the car certified and alignment it part of it.

- Belton, TX, USA

May 242011

Sonata 4-cyl

This is my fourth time complaining about my vehicle pulling. I just bought a new set of tires, because my front driver side tire was worn down to the metal. The new tires were properly installed and balanced by discount tire, but my vehicle stills tracks to the right. I cannot let go of the steering wheel for a second without it wanting to change lanes when I am going straight. I've taken my vehicle to the dealer three times already and had the service campaign performed. The condition of the road is not the issue here, as I have been told time and time again. I have also found reports of this tracking issue online. The car is still pulling to the right 60 - 70 percent of the time, and is a constant struggle to control. This is especially difficult when I am traveling at speeds of 45mph, or higher. If I hit the slightest imperfection in the road; the car will bounce all over the place. It still seems to be tracking primarily to the right, but the tracking of this car is so erratic. I have included several reliable sources below, which further explain the issue I am experiencing.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Mar 302011

Sonata

The vehicle pulls strongly to the left. A very well documented case of a defective vehicle. Was told by the dealer there is nothing they can do. The car is a lease and I cannot get rid of it and continue to pay for a car which, if I don't hold the wheel with the force of god, will spear off to the left and possibly into a tree.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Apr 212013

Sonata

I leased this Hyundai Sonata in 2011 brand new and after 3000 miles began having issues with the car not starting by using the start button. The workaround was to place your foot on the brake and hold down the push button start for 1 minute and the engine would start. This was intermittent. It would happen frequently and then suddenly be better for long periods of time. Finally at 18000 miles went to start the car and everything was dead. It drove ok the day before (not like a car who's battery was bad). The car is being towed to the nearest dealership where I happened to purchase it. In addition to the start issue and the completely dying part (and it was not able to be charged by ordinary means) the car also has a low tire pressure warning that stays on regardless of how much or how little air is in the tire. That remained for 4 months and now seems to be staying off. The car also drifts to the left when driven (it has done this since I purchased it). I had several recalls fixed early on at the dealership, but it did not correct the drifting issue. There is also a rattle in the dash which began at 16,000 miles. The back door handle (behind the driver's seat) handle was stuck in an outward position and the door would not open. It finally opened one day and now the handle is back in place, but a small black piece hangs down from the handle. I have read on the internet several complaints that are the same or similar as all of my issues.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Feb 202013

Sonata 4-cyl

We have been having several problems where we have been stranded because the vehicle will not start. It first happened in October 2011, when we first bought the car, and it was fixed. Now the vehicle would not start, making starter noises. Roadside assistance came, played with the transmission shifter, and got the car to start. It has pushbutton start. Yesterday, 3/14/13, the car was loaded up for a weekend trip, and the car would not start again made the same noise, however, the steering wheel failed to lock, and there was no way to shift the transmission. They had to take the vehicle to the dealership by flatbed. I am afraid the vehicle will stall out during driving, and since the powersteering doesn't work or lock appropriately, and the transmission cannot be changed, it's a severe safety threat. What does one do to shift the transmission or steer the vehicle when there is no key, but a pushbutton start" many problems noted of this type on the internet: Should be investigated: Https://www.google.com/search"sourceid=navclient&ie=utf-8&rlz=1T4skpt_enus424us424&Q=2011+Hyundai+Sonata+push+button+start+problems.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 032012

Sonata

I have several complaints regarding this vehicle. I have had this car two years and about two months and have had nothing but problems (purchased brand new) -- I've had to get a new motor (engine caught on fire (electrical/smoking) while driving down the beltway), replaced tire rod, need 4 brand new tires, transmission slipping, and other electrical problems with cooling/heating system (the blower does not work for air pointed in the floor direction), strong smell of gas fumes inside of the vehicle. The gas mileage gauge is inaccurate -- I get no where near the highway nor city miles. The gas meter is not registering. Parts on the electrical system have been randomly replaced. I have had all schedule services on my vehicle as well as extras such as special replacement filters, etc. I have also had problems with the breaking system. I believe I've purchased a complete lemon. The current mileage on the vehicle is 27700 miles. There is no way I should be having this many problems as frequently as I have been having. The car's steering pulls to the left as well. I should not have to replace tires only after two years of driving after putting nitrogen as advised. I've noticed a noise when turning the steering to the left as well as if the left tire rod or axle wants to break -- weird feeling turn the car. The alarm system is failing to lock all of the doors -- only the drivers door. -- dealers solution...purchase a new one "?? really"

- Forestville, MD, USA

Mar 042013

Sonata

I just bought a certified pre-owned 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited. Pretty much since the first time I took it on the interstate, the car wants to drift, mainly to the left but sometimes to the right. There are several complaints about this on the web. I took it back to the dealer and they looked at it. They said the tire pressure was the problem. It is less pronounced pulling to the left but now its all over the place. This vehicle will not track straight and that is a dangerous thing imo. I do a lot of interstate driving.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 182010

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact noticed that the steering wheel began pulling to the left. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the vehicle would have to have an alignment performed. After the alignment was performed the failure continued. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Dec 172012

Sonata 4-cyl

The car is a year old. As the passenger was turning left traveling approx 25-30mph the car started to shake violently and then the wheel came off the front passenger side. The control arm assembly failed allowing the whole wheel/drive assembly to come off slamming the front right side of the car down, yanking the car toward oncoming traffic.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Nov 152012

Sonata 4-cyl

I had this car from Feb 2011 to present, and the car is constantly drifting left. I almost hit another car when it happened. After this incident I switched out my tires (due to outer wear) and had 2 alignments performed by licensed technicians. The car still drifts left. The technician recommended that the car should be looked at by a body repair shop.

- Englewood, CO, USA