2013 Hyundai Sonata steering problems: steering coupler worn out

Steering Coupler Worn Out

2013 Hyundai Sonata

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

7.3

$310

1. replace coupler (9 reports)
2013 Hyundai Sonata steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Aug 012019

Sonata

Plastic coupler on metal parts? This should be recalled.

- Stuart B., Lakewood, US

Jun 012017

Sonata GLS 2.4L

Hyundai has refused to honor the recall on my steering wheel and now I'm 7,000 over the warranty mileage.

- Kristine W., Desert Hot Springs, US

Feb 272017

Sonata

For those that are having problems with the steering coupler on the 2013 Sonata, last week I called to complain about my steering and I started a complaint with Hyundai. The very next day, Hyundai put out a recall/extended warranty on the steering coupler. I found this out when I brought my car in this morning to have it repaired at Kendall Hyundai in Miami-Dade county. They were surprised that right after my conversation with them, they received the warranty extension up to 100,000 miles. The cost to replace the part would have been $380 here in Miami according to the service department.

- Robert B., Shreveport, LA, US

Dec 102016

Sonata GLS 2.4L

We described the problem to our mechanic before bringing the car in, and he knew exactly what the problem was. The reason he knew? He repairs many of these. In fact, he keeps the little part needed in stock since it's a common repair he has to do. The part is small but the labor is more intensive. He said this should be a recall item and was surprised Hyundai hasn't made it one.

- Barbara B., Pflugerville, TX, US

Jul 012016

Sonata

The Sonata that I have only 3 years old and I keep it very well maintained and serviced. It started making a clicking sound as I would turn the wheel, so I got nervous because it is in the steering. I went to the dealership and had it checked out and the finding was the steering coupler, which was not covered under the warranty and will cost over $500 to fix. As time goes by, it has become louder. I think that an issue of this nature should not be happening to a car that is not very old and it sounds like it is happening frequently to other consumers as well. I think I will go back to American made vehicles.

- kellw1987, Louisville, KY, US

Oct 022015

Sonata SE 2.4L

This problem started as being barely noticeable before 60,000 miles. Actually only my wife complained about it, and I did not report it at the time. My mistake, as it was under warranty, but I have had it serviced as required by the warranty, and the service department did not apparently notice it either. Of course, it has gotten much worse, and now I have 73,000 miles. I am sure it's the infamous plastic part that many people have referred to on the net plus a few hundred dollars in labor. How is a common steering part failure not a recalled item. If I were to never fix it, I am sure we would eventually totally lose steering and run headlong into a Mack truck. I will be taking it in for repair and will update this post later. Otherwise, I love my Sonata (so far).

- poppinocar, Port Saint Lucie, FL, US

Aug 012016

Sonata Limited 2.0t

Was told by my mechanic that this has been happening a lot and that Hyundai should have treated as a recall. This part wearing out has been a known issue and they could have easily replaced it at the dealership.

- Lou H., Clearwater, FL, US

May 252016

Sonata SE

Started as a clicking noise, then a clunking noise then steering got more difficult. car only has 6700 miles!!! shame on Hyundai for not recalling this obvious defect!

- michellefla, Tampa, FL, US

Dec 212015

Sonata 4 Door Cdi 2.4L

At just 300 miles over warranty no one wanted to work with me. $400 to replace a part that cost app $2.00 is crazy. If I could do this I would do it all day long. On top of all this I find out that it is a real problem with HYUNDAI and KIA. Why is there no recall. I would love to be reimbursed for the money that I put out to repair someone else problems.

HYUNDAI should be forced to fit this problem at there cost not mine. I was told that if the coupler were to brake completely, at any speed , you would lose total steering, I would imagine this could lead to injury and possible DEATH. Problems like this need to consider a lack of concern, verses making a profit or bodily injury. Fix the dam problem, make Hyundai accountable. FIX IT or take the piece of junk out of the USA. VW was made accountable, maybe a nice big fine is needed here.

- Bob S., Forked River, NJ, US