2015 Hyundai Sonata engine problems: engine stalls/shuts down while driving

Engine Stalls/Shuts Down While Driving

2015 Hyundai Sonata

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

8.8

2. replacing manifold (1 reports)
  3. reset engine light (1 reports)
2015 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata:

2015 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Nov 052017

Sonata

Driving my 2015 Sonata as I was coming to a red light, all of a sudden the car started to shutter and shake, make a loud grumbling sound, and then the engine cut off. I was able to restart the car, but it hesitated. I drove it to the side of the road and had a tow truck bring it to a Hyundai dealer. They could not duplicate the event (of course not) and they could not get any "error code" information when they hooked the car up to the diagnostic machine. I was lucky to be a a stoplight, but am very annoyed the dealer can not find the cause. I reported this event to both NHTSA and Hyundai headquarters, which I advise every driver to do, as this might eventually get Hyundai's attention. As of now, no diagnosis has been made for the abrupt engine shutoff.

- , Haymarket, US

Jun 192016

click to see larger images

engine stalls/shuts down while driving engine stalls/shuts down while driving engine stalls/shuts down while driving engine stalls/shuts down while driving engine stalls/shuts down while driving engine stalls/shuts down while driving

With only 33,000 miles, the engine suddenly seized up. Towed to dealer, they took pictures and sent to warranty company. Warranty company declined to replace engine claiming "Owner maintenance issue". Then they declined to even look at any maintenance records that I had. Since I changed oil myself, I couldn't prove all maintenance was performed. This problem happened on previous years with the same engine, and people were told by the warranty company that it was an "owner maintenance issue" (look online). I figured they'd get around to recalling the 2015 year, as they recalled previous years, but they haven't yet and I haven't been able to drive the car for over a year! New engine cost is $10,000. A used engine would probably cost about $5,000, but nobody has any used engines because so many people are having similar problems. DON'T TRUST THE HYUNDAI WARRANTY. THEY WON'T HONOR THE WARRANTY! I EVEN BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY.

- , Houston, US

Jul 192017

Sonata

Vehicle dies while driving, cannot restart. Happened 3 times in December 2016.

All electrical tests passed so they replaced the fuel pump in January.

Car died again yesterday 7/19/2017. Same problem. After sitting for a while it restarted.

Some electrical glitches as well like the audio changes modes, display goes blank.

- , San Antonio, US

Jan 262017

Sonata Limited 2.0t

This is HORRIFIC!

I was driving at 6:20 am on the New Jersey Turnpike. I was in the left lane and going approximately 70 mph using the SCC (Smart Cruise Control). All of the sudden, the lights start flashing and the car completely turns off. Since it was before sunrise, everything was black and I couldn't even see where I was driving, not to mention that the steering wheel became locked. 10 seconds later, the care came back to "life". It did that same intro with the "system check" thing as it does when the car is started from a park position- only I was on the highway going 70 mph.

I have never heard of something so absurd, but I guarantee that if this was during rush hour or a busier time during the day- there would have been a major accident!

Update from Jan 26, 2017: When the car restarted (at 70 mph on the NJ turnpike)- the dashboard ESC was illuminated, the auto hold was illuminated (and could not be turned off) and the screen displayed Check SCC system.

- , Highland Park, NJ, USA

Nov 082016

Sonata Sport 2.4t

Engine stalled out of no where very dangerous. In addition sunroof makes all kinds of squeaky noises.

- , SAN DIEGO, CA, USA

Oct 192016

Sonata Sport

Again (event #2), driving car and engine stalled just like that. Luckily, again I was in a parking lot and not on the interstate in Houston where I would have surely been in serious accident. Stalled in rush hour traffic with no brake lights in the 5th largest city with the worst drivers is beyond your worst nightmare.

This time had it towed; too afraid to drive it. Diagnosis show nothing. Dealer is trying very hard to pinpoint the problem and are keeping the car to duplicate the event. Murphy's Law says it won't do it again while they have it. I don't want to drive the car anymore until I know problem identified and fixed. How do you report to NTSB to work towards recalls?

Very dangerous!

- , Houston, TX, US

Oct 162016

Sonata Sport

Car stalled while driving through parking lot. First it burped, farted and shook. Stuck in the aisle of parking lot with flashers on. Upon 3rd attempt, car restarted. Took to dealer, who worked diligently to find problem, but nothing showed up on diagnosis. This is event 1 of 2 within 4 days.

- , Houston, TX, US

Oct 202016

Sonata SE 2.4L

Leased 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE trim in 05/2015.

1) In 02/16 --> Sluggish acceleration reported to dealer and he applied software update to ECM.

2) 10/05/2016 ---> While driving car started to sputter , shudder and heavy smoke (mostly white) coming from tail pipe. Car was not accelerating at all. It was very dangerous situation and felt that car was not under control. Finally it came to stop. After few minutes, tried to start and succeeded in 3rd/4th attempt. Took it to nearby Hyundai dealer, and as per them, they updated ECM (Engine Control Module) software.

3) 10/20/2016 --> Issue appeared again with same symptoms.Car is with dealer and he is looking into it. I am very concerned about safety.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jul 282016

Sonata Limited 2.4L

click to see larger images

engine stalls/shuts down while driving

While driving down I-95 heading towards a wonderful vacation..... my car started "cutting out" when I tried to accelerate or pass another car. I could accelerate slowly. This was a horrible feeling on a busy (FAST) interstate. Several times a car came onto the interstate and I needed to get over to let them merge.... when I tried to accelerate all power was lost.

At first I thought it may have been my transmission, and then I realized it was every time I exceeded 2500 rpm. I located the closest Hyundai dealership and took it in to be looked at. The check engine light did not come on until I exited the interstate. It did not even indicate that the situation was urgent. Since I was traveling, I did not want to take any chances.

The folks at Auto Nation Hyundai were great and worked me in even though they were fully booked. It took about three hours for the to get the car looked at and diagnosed. Turns out the manifold was bad and needed to be replaced. BAD NEWS... that part is on back order. GOOD NEWS... they arranged a rental for me and I was able to get on the road and make it to my cruise.

After coming back from an eight day cruise, I was hoping to find my car repaired. Unfortunately, the part is still on back order. I had to drive the rental car back home. Once my car is repaired, I will have to drive almost 4 hours (one way) back to get it.

Good: Hyundai is repairing the problem.... They are providing me with a rental.

Bad: Time without my car. I am use to my car with all the bells and whistles (and the XM Radio that I PAY to listen to)... I know that is first world problems.... but still an inconvenience.

REALLY BAD: Someone could have been severely injured with the car not accelerating properly. It was very scary being on the interstate with cars flying past me.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my car. I am usually scoping out my next car before the "new car smell" wears off. Not with this one. It has everything on it that I could want. I seriously hope the problem will be repaired completely and does not result in residual issues.

I will update once I get the car back and let you now how it is doing!

- , West Columbia, SC, USA

Jul 172016

Sonata SE

I just bought the 2015 hyundai sonato 2 days ago. I don't even know who the lender is yet however on the way home from just signing a loan agreement with a dealership, my vehicle lost power was almost hit by a semi, I was able to start it back up and get home. Called dealership they said to bring it in so I did and they said came up with a code their not familiar with, they reset the code and now I have a appointment with hyundai tomorrow. Let's see how this go, dealer would not take care back I'm scared to drive this vehicle

Update from Jul 26, 2016: Well my vehicles is still at hyundai service they said they can't duplicate the problem and doesn't know what the code that came up meant, they said they had 5 more 2015 hyundai sonatas come in with the same problem. They said maybe fuel injectors need cleaned. I'm shaking my head you have 6 veh all 2015 with the same problem. They said they have someone coming in from the corporate office to take a look. They also said they will enter the vin into some data base, because they can't deem it unsafe if they can't find the problem

Update from Aug 3, 2016: I received my various from Hyundai back and they said sometimes the computer needs to be reset. I know that's not right, I don't have lawyers like they do to fight these Hugh companies so I guess I will drive the vehicle til next time. I HOPE everything stays safe in these vehicles.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

May 212016

Sonata Sport 2.0t

Purchased my 2015 Sonata 2.0t a few weeks back with 870 miles on it as a "buy back." Got a great deal on the car because the title was "branded" and the car was already bought back from the first owner because of electrical issues which I can not speak on because I am not aware of details other than sensor incorrect reads. While sitting at a light the car started to sound like a diesel engine and timing was off, I went to make the turn to get off the main road and could feel it losing compression and power. I pulled into a parking spot in the nearest lot and the engine was completely off at this point and would not start back up. Hyundai roadside was called, so was dealer. It was late on a Saturday and they sent a tow truck right away and the dealer provided me with a loaner until they were able to look at car first thing Monday morning. Verdict was Engine needed to be replaced, ok fine it is under warranty. Worst part, I do not know too much about specifics but understand basics as I sell car parts, the turbo will not be replaced as "that is not the part that failed." Even though everyone knows the turbo is very vulnerable to whatever metal contaminants the engine just let loose. Machines are well machines and unpredictable, however this seems to be a common problem so far with this model year. They just recalled all the 2011/2012 models are these next? I turned in a 2013 Turbo Veloster with no issues at all and felt much better in this car that is until the engine failed within my first 500 miles in it.

- , Wappingers Falls, NY, USA

Apr 142016

Sonata SE 2.4L

I was in a slightly "happy" situation: the engine stopped when the red light turned on, which gave me enough time to turn off the key and then restart the car... I don't know if this issue could have happened on the highway, when I drove 50mph... changing lanes, exiting the highway... too many scenarios where I would be in a more dire situation.

I brought the car to the service: they tried to duplicate the event to no avail... They have no idea what happened! Was an electrical issue? Was it the gas? I don't know! They don't know! I am disappointed.

- , New York, NY, USA

Apr 082016

Sonata SE 2.4L

I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata and while making a left turn, the car shut off, leaving me vulnerable to oncoming traffic. The lights on the dash went haywire and the engine shut down. I have heard other complaints of this happening while driving on the freeway, a very dangerous predicament. Seems to me that this problem needs to be recalled to avoid injury to Hyundai customers or worse.

- , Torrance, CA, USA