9.3

$4,250

1. replace engine (5 reports)
2014 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Tucson:

2014 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Apr 102020

Tucson

On friday 24 April I was going to Auto Zone and as I pulled into the parking lot the engine just died the only light that came on was the battery light and oil indicator other then that no other lights or indication of something wrong.I could not get it started so I had it towed to the shop that does my service and today they told me the engine was gone and they can’t fix it. Now I’m going to Hyundai on Monday and complain to them and have the car towed to them. I had no warning or indication something was wrong.

- Robert M., Albuquerque, US

Aug 032018

Tucson GL 2.4L

My wife was driving on the hwy to the lake for vacation. As she passed a slow traveling car on the hwy her car started to lose power and shut down, she finally got it to the shoulder of the road and it died. No lights came on prior to this happening. she tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. I was traveling on the same hwy a few km ahead of her. She had to call me to come and get her and our grandchild. I had to call a tow truck to tow it to the lake as I was only 20 minutes away. When my vacation was over I had to have it towed home. I started researching this and found there are lots of Tuscon's in the same predicament. Apparently an ongoing KNOWN issue to Hyundai. What I need to know is what is Hyundai doing about it? Is my car going to be fixed? or is it to remain a heap of useless car in my driveway with no value? This issue typically happens "around" the 100,000 km mark. Ours happened just over. It is NOT reasonable that a car that is only 4 years old to have total engine failure. Most people still owe the bank on a car that old. And now it no longer has any value. Hyundai needs to step up and fix these cars ...get them back on the road...show what a reputable company they are and stand by their product

- Tom W., Morinville, AB, Canada

Mar 242019

Tucson 2.4L

Took car to dealership for scheduled campaign 953 update on 3/22/19. Was advised that they would not do campaign update as the car was included in muffler update as well. They would NOT parcel out recalls/updates. They insisted that both be done at the same time. Ordered muffler on 3/22/19, would be at dealership the following Wed at earliest. Engine fails on Sun 3/24/19 at 112k mi. Dealer notified, will be towed to dealership today so they can replace engine under theta 2 engine failure, campaign 953 and muffler at once.

- Julie C., Mission Viejo, CA, US

Jan 062019

Tucson Limited 2.0L

We have had 3 Hyundai vehicles . Each vehicle's maintenance was always done by the car dealership , then later on by myself. I told many dealers about the ticking noise happening in the 2014 Tucson engine. Yes they said to me the same thing that you have on record , them saying there is nothing wrong with the engine. It would get up to temp then smooth out. Well guess what you as#hole, the engine at a 100000 miles threw a rod and seize the engine. If you new there was a problem with this, man up and except it. Make a call back and fix the problem. We bought this vehicle NEW. Why would I ever think I would have this kind of a problem at 100000 miles. WHY SHOULD I PUT UP WITH THIS BULLSHIT. I know YOU WOULD' NT.

FIX THIS FOR GODSAKE

- thd901, Chesnee, US

Oct 192018

Tucson

My husband has been having an issue with his Tucson for about a year. This was before 100,000 miles. His car started having issues where engine oil will dry up. He was told by the mechanic to get engine oil changed every month with most expensive oil. My husband was also told to check his engine oil every couple days to make sure there is oil in the engine. So he has been carrying engine oil in his car for about a year.

Today he was driving on the highway at 65miles per hour when his car started to slow down. He almost got into an accident because he was in the middle lane in the height of morning traffic. By the grace of God, he was able to pull over and was towed to a garage. He could have died on that road today and I don't think Hyundai has recalled this car even though they had the same issues with other cars from Hyundai. I don't know what to do HELP!!

- Julia Y., Sayreville, NJ, US

Aug 082018

Tucson GLS 2.4L

Engine is having the same problems that were part of the recalls. For some reason the Tucson isn't included in the recalls despite having the same 2.4l engine. The car lost power, and shut off on my wife as she was driving. After having it looked at by a mechanic there is a catastrophic engine failure. The engine is suffering from the same metal shavings problems as the 2.4L engine that was part of the recall in the Sonata. There's a really loud knocking sound coming from the engine. Mechanic did a compression test on each cylinder and there is a problem with each one.

- Sergio S., Homestead, FL, US

May 232018

Tucson 2.0L Dohc Gdi

click to see larger images

engine failure

My car is only 4 years old, 108,000 and has not been recalled. My wife has a 2014 Hyundai Sonata and unfortunately her car was recalled, After we researched we found out that her and I have the same engine, so I'm unsure why only the Sonata and Santa Fe's were recalled, however my engine failed at such a young age. If I was given the extra 20,000 miles on my powertrain then my engine would be fully covered.

The dealership told me today that since I'm no longer under warranty that the total cost of engine replacement is $8474.46. Hyundai corporate has agreed to pay $3718.46 in parts only. By the way, we still owe $3000.00 to the bank on this heap of garbage.

Corporate is basically saying that they will pay for parts on a car that is out the warranty and are also saying they will not pay for labor because it is out of warranty. My car has the same engine as the Santa Fe and Sonata--both recalled because of the exact same engine... so why does mine not have a recall?

If a company is willing to pay for parts it seems like they are kind of admitting something is wrong here. One service tech was puzzled why the Tuscon was not included in the recall as " ...they have the same engine." Corporate says the recall was for vehicles made in Georgia and mine was not included because it was made in Korea. The engine fail is exactly like what is described in the other car models.

In fact, my wife owns a Sonata, purchased one month after my Tuscon (currently with almost the same mileage) and she is now getting similar sounds from the engine as well as burning oil at an increased rate.

There is even a Facebook page for this engine called "Theta 2 Engine Failure"--and alot of Tuscon's are on this because we are the bastard step-children that Hyundai won't take care of. Avoid Tuscon's avoid Hyundai!

Update from Jun 28, 2018: In May 2018, my car's engine failed due to having no oil present. Please understand, I've kept up with oil changes and I also was under the 3000 mile oil change deadline. my Tuscon is only 4 years old with 108,000 miles on it and has not been recalled. My wife has a 2014 Hyundai Sonata. After some research, we found out that her and I have the same engine (along with the Santa Fe) so I'm unsure why only the Sonata and Santa Fe's were recalled---my engine was not recalled. It failed at such a young age. If I was given the extra 20,000 miles on my powertrain, then my engine would be fully covered.

Corporate is basically saying that they will pay for PARTS on a car that is out the warranty but are also saying they will NOT pay for labor because it is out of warranty. My car has the same engine as the Santa Fe and Sonata--both recalled because of the exact same engine... so why does mine not have a recall?

There is even a Facebook page for this engine called "Theta 2 Engine Failure"--and a lot of Tuscon's are on this because we are the bastard step-children that Hyundai won't take care of. Avoid Tuscon's avoid Hyundai!

- Dave D., Budd Lake, NJ, US

May 232018

Tucson GLS 2.4L

Driving on the freeway at 65 MPH when I realized I had lost all acceleration but no warning lights or anything came on. Fortunately, I was able to get over to shoulder without issue on the remaining momentum. Had car towed to mechanic. Engine has seized up without warning and will cost probably $4K to $6K to replace engine.

- Jeffrey S., San Juan Capistrano, CA, US

Sep 222017

Tucson GL 2.0L

Engine starts sounding weird, then does not accelerate, and then it just stops, and the engine failed.

- Nicholas B., Toronto, Ontario, Canada