ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

$3,500

1. replace engine (3 reports)
2014 Hyundai Tucson engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Tucson:

2014 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Aug 082018

Tucson GLS 2.4L

Engine is having the same problems that were part of the recalls. For some reason the Tucson isn't included in the recalls despite having the same 2.4l engine. The car lost power, and shut off on my wife as she was driving. After having it looked at by a mechanic there is a catastrophic engine failure. The engine is suffering from the same metal shavings problems as the 2.4L engine that was part of the recall in the Sonata. There's a really loud knocking sound coming from the engine. Mechanic did a compression test on each cylinder and there is a problem with each one.

- Sergio S., Homestead, FL, US

May 232018

Tucson 2.0L Dohc Gdi

click to see larger images

engine failure

My car is only 4 years old, 108,000 and has not been recalled. My wife has a 2014 Hyundai Sonata and unfortunately her car was recalled, After we researched we found out that her and I have the same engine, so I'm unsure why only the Sonata and Santa Fe's were recalled, however my engine failed at such a young age. If I was given the extra 20,000 miles on my powertrain then my engine would be fully covered.

The dealership told me today that since I'm no longer under warranty that the total cost of engine replacement is $8474.46. Hyundai corporate has agreed to pay $3718.46 in parts only. By the way, we still owe $3000.00 to the bank on this heap of garbage.

Corporate is basically saying that they will pay for parts on a car that is out the warranty and are also saying they will not pay for labor because it is out of warranty. My car has the same engine as the Santa Fe and Sonata--both recalled because of the exact same engine... so why does mine not have a recall?

If a company is willing to pay for parts it seems like they are kind of admitting something is wrong here. One service tech was puzzled why the Tuscon was not included in the recall as " ...they have the same engine." Corporate says the recall was for vehicles made in Georgia and mine was not included because it was made in Korea. The engine fail is exactly like what is described in the other car models.

In fact, my wife owns a Sonata, purchased one month after my Tuscon (currently with almost the same mileage) and she is now getting similar sounds from the engine as well as burning oil at an increased rate.

There is even a Facebook page for this engine called "Theta 2 Engine Failure"--and alot of Tuscon's are on this because we are the bastard step-children that Hyundai won't take care of. Avoid Tuscon's avoid Hyundai!

Update from Jun 28, 2018: In May 2018, my car's engine failed due to having no oil present. Please understand, I've kept up with oil changes and I also was under the 3000 mile oil change deadline. my Tuscon is only 4 years old with 108,000 miles on it and has not been recalled. My wife has a 2014 Hyundai Sonata. After some research, we found out that her and I have the same engine (along with the Santa Fe) so I'm unsure why only the Sonata and Santa Fe's were recalled---my engine was not recalled. It failed at such a young age. If I was given the extra 20,000 miles on my powertrain, then my engine would be fully covered.

Corporate is basically saying that they will pay for PARTS on a car that is out the warranty but are also saying they will NOT pay for labor because it is out of warranty. My car has the same engine as the Santa Fe and Sonata--both recalled because of the exact same engine... so why does mine not have a recall?

There is even a Facebook page for this engine called "Theta 2 Engine Failure"--and a lot of Tuscon's are on this because we are the bastard step-children that Hyundai won't take care of. Avoid Tuscon's avoid Hyundai!

- Dave D., Budd Lake, NJ, US

May 232018

Tucson GLS 2.4L

Driving on the freeway at 65 MPH when I realized I had lost all acceleration but no warning lights or anything came on. Fortunately, I was able to get over to shoulder without issue on the remaining momentum. Had car towed to mechanic. Engine has seized up without warning and will cost probably $4K to $6K to replace engine.

- Jeffrey S., San Juan Capistrano, CA, US

Sep 222017

Tucson GL 2.0L

Engine starts sounding weird, then does not accelerate, and then it just stops, and the engine failed.

- Nicholas B., Toronto, Ontario, Canada