2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 012019

Grand Cherokee

When driving, the steering pulls to the left side fairly hard. Also, when making either right or left turns the result is a very jerky and not smooth. When there is a bump in the road, the steering wheel jerks and turns slightly causing possible dangerous driving conditions. The vehicle is drive-able however there is definitely some cause for concern. Have replaced the suspension with brand new shocks and there seems to be no difference in the steering wheel's response to bumps. Wheels also appear to be in great alignment as well. I have seen where this issue is very common with this make and model and would like to be able to get the issue corrected for a feeling of comfort and safety while driving my vehicle.

- De Soto, MO, USA

Dec 012017

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While operating the vehicle, a grinding and humming noise was present from the steering column. Also, the power steering assist suddenly malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn in either direction. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power steering pump and hose were faulty and needed to be replaced. The contact indicated that the vehicle was repaired on four separate occasions, but the failure continued. The manufacturer and local dealer were not notified. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Mar 012018

Grand Cherokee

Steering gear box suddenly locks up on slow turns in traffic

- Linden, NC, USA

Oct 112017

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall, Jeep drifts back and forth on road regardless of surface of road, sways back and forth, feels very unsafe, happens at any speed,

- Saint Clair, PA, USA

Nov 172017

Grand Cherokee

Had a car accident few days ago and the air bags did not deployed at either side. Also, the steering column is stack in lower level, the mechanic said it is broken inside, needed to be replaced.

- Oakton, VA, USA

Oct 182016

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall while driving my steering wheel is very loose shakes when I use the brake peddle. Pulls me left then jerks be to the right or vise versa. This is very scary. I have kids that depend on me to get them from school bus stop etc I do not feel safe driving my own vehicle Iżve put 2 sets of new tires on my Jeep since February of this year 2017. This happeneds on the highway city street back roads you names

- Hill, NH, USA

Jul 292017

Grand Cherokee

Ignition switch-P41. I went to the garage one Saturday morning on my way to work and could not crank up my vehicle. The ignition would literally not turn the steering wheel or anything. The lights to the car would blink and my car wouldn't start with the key in the ignition; however, the safety recall is on a model car one year after mine. This is not the first time the ignition would not crank up. One time, I literally had to pull over and stop the car only to try and start it again but it wouldn't crank. In order for it to go, I had to bang on the ignition park to get it to turn the key and further start the ignition. The issues are the same as the recall but I'm out of pocket some $687 at the dealership, which I had to wait 3 hours for a tow truck to come through. I do not understand why this model car was not covered under warranty as well. I am a single parent and it is so frustrating to try and provide for my child when I can't use the only transportation that I have plus the fact that it costs an arm and a leg just to fix. I cannot afford another car note at this time. Please consider the 2004 models in this recall.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Jul 172017

Grand Cherokee

My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee interior lights stay on and windows will not work. Have had this problem fixed 2 times now and it has happened again. On the internet it says it is a flaw in the wiring harness. A black ground wire breaks. Also the vehicle is developing the death wobble where going down the road if you hit a bump the front end shakes violently. Had this same problem on my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Very dangerous.

- Celina, OH, USA

Apr 022017

Grand Cherokee

Death wobble - at certain speeds on certain road surfaces the vehicle will hit a bump initiating a violent shaking in the steering components of the car and causing a loss of control.. it is only by an immediate, sharp and momentary application of brakes (or accelerator) will the shaking stop.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 072016

Grand Cherokee

Recall S33 for Jeep wrangles - the clock spring fails due to dust - many other people who use their Jeep in dusty area's also have this issue. Mine has failed and upon inspection is full of dirt and dust.

- Redmond, OR, USA

Nov 122016

Grand Cherokee

While in motion driving on a busy two way city roadway street, the vehicle lost power, lost brakes, no steering and no electrical while in motion, that endangered my life from a head on collision. Currently no power, the windows are open, the windshield wipers are stuck.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jan 012016

Grand Cherokee

In January 2016, I purchased this vehicle. I noticed the vehicle steering seemed a little off. I took it to a local shop and it was determined the steering gear needed to be replaced. It was rather expensive to have it repaired. I'm unsure of when the problem arose as it was for sale for months prior to me purchasing. Apparently this had been repaired under a prior recall.

- Odenville, AL, USA

Aug 102014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel shook violently without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front upper and lower ball joints failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred worst than before. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Oct 132015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering gear box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Kelseyville, CA, USA

Jun 102015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving over 30 mph, the vehicle violently vibrated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 131,000.

- Croydon , PA, USA

Jun 302015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving to the store when the right front lower spring support gave out.I have now been without a car for 3 weeks. Updated 09/10/15 updated 12/12/2017

- Bucksport, ME, USA

Jul 242014

- Kingston, TN, USA

Jun 302015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 55 mph, the wheels, steering, and tires began to shake severely. The contact had to come to a complete stop or drive at lower speeds in order for the shaking to stop. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Kansas, MO, USA

Mar 022015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While stopped at a red light, the horn sounded without warning until the battery was removed. The contact stated that the steering wheel was loose. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Jan 122015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Steering becomes hard when making a left turn at low parking speeds. Problem is intermittent but has caused near loss of control of the vehicle.

- Haymarket, VA, USA