2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Sep 242011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I bought this Jeep on 9/20/2013. The truck is equipped with the 5.7 L hemi engine. Over the first 50 days and 1,157 miles of ownership I have encountered 18 episodes of the vehicle stalling, with 14 of those stalls occurring on major highways in traffic. The stalls occur with no warning. The vehicle immediately decelerates to a stop and I am left with no power, no steering and no brakes. One dealership blamed it on a bad battery. The dealership which sold me the Jeep diagnosed the problem as a M.a.P. sensor, which they replaced. That did not correct the problem as the stalling problem continues to occur. The most recent was on 11/9/2013 while driving in the center lane of the pa turnpike at 65 mph. The Jeep stalled and came to a stop, with a semi tractor-trailer behind me. I have no idea how that truck driver was able to swerve in time to miss me. Mechanics and on-line forums identify possible causes for the stalling as 1. a defective (ECM) electronic control modules; 2. shorts in the wiring harness; 3. sparks plugs; 4. egr valve; 5. ignition coil; 6. PCV valve; 7. transmission solenoid pack. There are no diagnostic codes stored in the obd-II system. One school of thought is that 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee and commanders equipped with the 5.7 L hemi engine are extremely sensitive to radio frequency interference from the waste spark on the coil. As other complaints have noted, this is an obvious and persistent problem with Jeep equipped with the hemi engine, and Chrysler has turned a deaf ear to the complaints. Perhaps they are waiting for the fatalities to occur. Why NHTSA hasn't done more to order a recall is beyond my comprehension. The problem has been reported on for years with no action taken by Chrysler. This Jeep is, for lack of a better word, a deathtrap. At best it cannot be trusted, it is unsafe and unreliable. At worst it is an accident waiting to happen!

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that upon acceleration, the gear independently shifted into neutral. The vehicle at first did not respond but rapidly accelerated within several seconds. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was previously taken to the dealer to have the transfer case updated however, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was contacted and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 100,100...updated 12-05-13

- Hampstead, MD, USA

Oct 072013

Grand Cherokee

As I was driving my car jerked real hard and all my dash lights came on and my ability to drive my car was useless. My Jeep slowed down on the freeway during morning rush hour traffic almost causing several accidents. As I was trying to restart my Jeep it just keep making a clicking noise and wouldn't stop. I had to pull the key from the ignition and reinsert the key and try to start the Jeep. After 3 tries it started and I went to drive off and as I was accelerating my Jeep did it again finally it stayed on and I was able to drive to a safe location. My Jeep sounded real strange not like normal. This is the 5 or 6th time this has happened since I had my Jeep not even a year to date.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 162013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl Diesel

After receiving recall N23, 4WD low no longer works.

- Springfield, SD, USA

Sep 132013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Summary: The vehicle experienced significantly reduced power while driving in freeway traffic. It was necessary to move to the far right lane and exit the traffic flow. This has happened on several occasions. It is unsafe when the condition occurs in heavy traffic.

- Co Spring , CO, USA

Apr 102013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle would lose acceleration power sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the transmission swirl unit. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 74,000 and the current mileage was 76,000...updated 10/30/13 updated 10/31/2013

- Lake Forest Park , WA, USA

Sep 052008

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle shifted into neutral independently. The vehicle was stopped each time and had to be restarted before the vehicle could operate as designed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on three occasions where various parts were replaced and software updates were performed however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 103,000.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Jul 172013

Grand Cherokee

The problem was the same one that a lot of people have had with it losing acceleration or not wanting to accelerate. My mechanic checked for a code and found out the problem was in the shifting assembly. He had to take out the center console and replace the shifter assembly. He said that a module was faulty in the shifter assembly and was putting the car into limp mode. This seems to have taken care of the problem. I thought I would share this information so others would know about it.

- Carthage, MO, USA

Aug 012012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

My Jeep will periodically not accelerate past 25-40 mph. The rpms only move slightly during an occurrence even if you have it floored and there is no warning lights. The only why to temporarily fix it is to pull over, put it in park and turn it off and on again. I had a very close call and almost got rear-ended getting on the interstate last week when it happened. In the last year its probably happened about fifty times. After looking on this site it is apparent that I'm not the only one with this problem! Jeep needs to make a recall on this very soon.

- Billings, MT, USA

Jul 012013

Grand Cherokee

My complaint is with the dealer. I received a recall notice regarding the transfer case actuator. When making the appointment with the dealer they agreed to look at it. Once I drove out to the dealership they refused to even look at the case since there is no fix yet available. I'm not happy that they even would look. So I feel that the dealer failed to remedy this defect in a reasonable time. I understand their is no fix yet, but to not even look brothers me. I'm a mother of three with one more on the way and I wish my dealer would of even listen and looked.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Mar 072013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph, the transmission slipped into neutral. On a separate occasion, the vehicle was placed in reverse but proceeded to roll away. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 52,000. The VIN was not available.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Oct 132012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee will suddenly shift into neutral while driving. It has happened at various speeds. When this happens all the shift indicators are highlighted. I have to then pull over, put it in park and then try again. I have had it to the dealership shop 5 times to get this fixed. (over the course of this past year). I have now been told that there is a recall with letters going out last month. When can we expect these? I was told June, , but now it is the middle of July. This is very dangerous and we can no longer drive on the highway and have not been able to for almost a year now.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jul 102013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Was driving and vehicle would no longer switch gears from first to second. I was on freeway in construction area that was down to one lane and could not pull over for approximately ten miles. Not happy at all since the vehicle (2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee) has relatively low miles for a power train problem. My car is currently in the shop, but research shows this is a common problem with my model and a dangerous and expensive one at that. How is this not a recall?

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Jun 092013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

I was driving 40 mph and pressed the accelerator to speed up to 45 when my Jeep lost power. I pressed the accelerator fully and the transmission did not downshift and the engine just kept losing power. This has also happened from start twice. It has happened at around 60 mph while getting on the highway. The only thing that helps is if I turn off the engine and turn it back on. Then the car drives normally. I bought the car 10 days ago with 82500 miles on it. It's already acting up.

- Denver, CO, USA

May 312013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle loses power when merging with fast moving traffic; needs to be shut down and restarted to regain power; later, check engine light came on sometimes; finally, won't go over 30 mph and check engine light is continuously on. I have extended warranty from portfolio. I brought it to the dealer's (auto world - patchogue NY) shop (generation Kia - medford NY) 03 Jun 2013, was told that I needed to bring it to a Jeep dealer. I was told verbally that the fault was the transmission input speed sensor. On 05 Jun 2013 I went to brown's Jeep in patchogue NY and they won't commit to anything or give me a loaner car until the service is approved by portfolio. From the first month of ownership I had complained about rough shifting under certain conditions, but was told at brown's Jeep that the transmission was ok. I have noticed some service bulletins for 'drivability' concerning the transmissions had been issued in some states. A lot of other owners have had the same problem, maybe a recall is overdue! thank you!

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Dec 282012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

While driving the transmission will slip into neutral and revs high, all gears high-light on the dash board, and this happens at multiple speeds many different times" there have been several times this has almost caused my husband and I to have an accident. I was told by the dealership that a recall has been issued and to wait until notified??" this is not something to take lightly and having almost been in accident(s) I feel this needs immediate attention.

- Southgate, MI, USA

May 162013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

As I was driving my Jeep shut off and I was unable to steer and started to slow down in the middle of the freeway going 65 mph. I was unable to get out of the road and on to the shoulder causing several cars to almost hitting me. When the Jeep stopped I put the SUV in park and tried starting all it did was make noise. I then stepped on the brake and put in neutral and tried starting it and it wouldn't start. I waited a few minutes put the Jeep back in park and tried again and it started but I'm scared to drive in now. This happened to me 4 times now but the other times it is when I am either coming off the freeway or on a city street not going that fast and in that much traffic.

- Spring, TX, USA

May 072013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Shifts from park to neutral by itself, wont down shift at certain times, shift from drive to neutral at high speeds then shut off the truck.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jun 162010

Grand Cherokee

The first incident happened when my Jeep Grand Cherokee unknowingly shifted into neutral while driving down my neighborhood road. I was not aware of this until I tried to increase my speed and was not able to. I then had to turn off the car and turn it back on. This has happened three times since 2011.

- Jensen Beach, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The drivers window regulator is not working. Second problem is when I start my Jeep up and put it drive it sometimes makes a clunk noise, like it' going in hard and all the boxes light up around the P.N.R.D. and it has no power. I have to turn it off and restart it and it clears it up.

- Dodgeville, WI, USA