ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.8

$1,520

2. new fuel tank (2 reports)
2010 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Liberty:

2010 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Feb 012018

Liberty

Just starting having problems with gas spillage when filling my tank. My husband keeps blaming me, but after reading the complaints about the Jeep, I now know better. I dread having to fill my tank now. Gas gets all over me and the outside of my jeep. The inside stinks of gas for hours. I then go to the car wash after each fill up just so the gas doesn't ruin the paint. What is the solution?

- Betty M., Rochester, NY, US

Jan 222018

Liberty

This is not the first time this happened. It is not the first time this occurred to one of our Jeep Liberties. I just want to know what the fix is. Before Jeep had a recall on it. I cringe whenever I have to fill up now.

- texnixon, Anderson, IN, USA

Jan 012010

Liberty Sport 3.7L

Every time when I fill the fuel tank, whether I use the automatic shutoff or not, fuel burps/spills from the fuel tank inlet. Over the course of six years, there has been a large waste of fuel and money. With this issue, the paint under the fuel tank inlet has begun to bubble and peel. This is totally unacceptable. This vehicle actually belongs to my wife, and, whenever she needs fuel, I am the one to deal with the issue as she is afraid to fill it. I have tried multiple techniques to no avail. There also has been multiple times I have returned home reeking of unleaded from the spillage on my shoes as well as my clothing. Many pairs of shoes have become unwearable because of this. I would love the opportunity to challenge anyone to fill this tank without spilling, not just a few drops, but many, many, many drops equivalent to cups. All we affected Jeep owners want is acceptance of responsibility and a simple repair. The part should be extremely cheap, and I'm sure most owners would install the part themselves. Let's stop this complaining of the issue and JUST RESOLVE IT!!!

- Steve G., Garfield, US

Mar 012016

Liberty Limited

Fuel blow back is well documented on the internet with Jeep and Chrysler models. Recalls have been initiated on some models, namely 2007-2009 Wranger but the problem has not resulted in mass recalls. this is clearly a huge safety and liability issue for Jeep which could easily result in bodily inury, death or large loss of property as result of what is clearly a manufaturing defect. The check valve for the fuel system unlike other cars is not located in the fuel filler tube, it is in the tank itself. The cost to diagnose the problem was $146.50 and the cost to repair (replacing the entire fuel tank) is $1370.81 for a total out of pocket expense of $1517.31. The car is a single owner purchased new with only 28k miles. Fuel tanks are meant to last the lifetime of a vehicle where no collision or other mishap has occurred. There is nothing a consumer can do to mitigate, meaning no means of servicing or maintenance should be necessary. Waiting on a certain number of specific complaints or a class action lawsuit to address a problem is unacceptable. DO NOT BUY A JEEP OR CHRYSLER PRODUCT.

- Dennis H., Houston, USA

Jul 012013

Liberty Limited V6

Cross Motors where I bought the car finally said they would pay the $100 deductible if the extended warranty paid for it. I confirmed 3 times before taking it to Cross Motors and waited 1-1/2 hours for a rental car that never showed up - finally left MAD. Cross Motors customer service stinks.

The other Jeep place - Oxmoor Jeep said they charge $125 just to evaluate the problem, when Chrysler has already sent a memo regarding the problem and how to fix it to all their dealerships. Jeep tells me, they extended the warranty on this problem for most of their 2010 Libertys, but mine Vin number wasn't on the list.... they tell me "they can't fix all the cars..." I said, why not, it's a manufacturers defect. What a rip off. They know it is a manufacturer's defect, but too bad for me?????

I'm sick of corrupt corporate policies that hurt the consumers - the ones who pays their salaries - its like biting the hand that feeds you.

Stupid people.

- Deborah N., Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 042015

Liberty Limited 3.7L

Everytime I fill-up with gas I literally have to listen for the gas to get full. If I let the pump run, it will spill-out gas all over the place everytime. Not just a little gas - a lot!!

- Tom H., St. Paul Park, USA

Feb 032015

Liberty Sport V6

I bought this car 10 days ago on 2/2/15. My wife has filled the tank twice, the first time on 2/3/15, the second time on @ 2/11/15. Both times the gas gushed out splashing her and spilling gas down the side of the vehicle and all over the pavement. I feel as though I bought the "farm". Waiting to see if the dealer is going to take care of this. It was not purchased from a Chrysler/Jeep dealership. Dealer warranty is limited to 50% parts and 50% labor if not covered under the drivetrain warranty, which I am sure it is not.

- John B., Selinsgrove, PA, USA

Dec 252013

Liberty Limited 6 cyl

Jeep has had this problem since the 2008 Liberty. Also has the same problem on the Wranglers. I took it to the dealer. They told me the only thing they could do is replace the entire fuel tank at $800.00. My last Jeep!

- scottstrading, Cumming, GA, USA

Mar 052014

Liberty

My wife has a 2008 Jeep Liberty. They gave us a lifetime warranty on the gas splashing out issue. I've had this 2010 for about 7 months, and it has the same issue. One of the dealerships that I talked to said that it was normal to have a quart of gas splash up on you and all over the car when it was full. Another dealership told me that this vehicle was not covered under that problem. Will Jeep ever get a handle on this problem. Either makes don't seem to have this problem. I've been driving for 38 years and never had this problem until now. This cannot be normal.

- texnixon, Anderson, IN, USA

Dec 012012

Liberty Limited V6

With the cost of gas being sky high, this is costly over time. Not to mention it is kind of dangerous!!! This has happened every time I try to fill up since the beginning of December 2012. It only has 32,000 miles on it. C'mon :(

- Anita L., Gobles, MI, USA

Nov 172012

Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Fuel always overflows out of the filler tube when filling up at any gas station. Chrysler issued a recall for the 2007-2008 Wranglers but this seems to be an issue with most Jeep models. Mine is a 2010 Liberty and I know I'm not the only one. The dealer wouldn't help because I am 4000 miles past my warranty limit.

- kirka, Waterford, MI, USA