2012 Jeep Patriot fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Patriot:

2012 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 082017

The vehicle is stationary and motor turned off. It is next to impossible to fill the fuel tank with gasoline. It must be done extremely slowly or gasoline comes bursting out everywhere. The local dealer attributes it to a check valve which is inside the gas tank and when broken will not allow air into the tank when filling with gas. This is a design flaw with Chrysler vehicles, and quite dangerous. It is also common for vehicles with this problem to stall when in motion, another very dangerous situation.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Jan 082018

Car gradually stopped taking gas. It would click off and not allow additional gas to be put in. Initially this was at half a tank, then a quarter, then before I could even get the gas light off. The car was evaluated by three different mechanics, all who confirmed it was a gas tank issue identical to recall M11. This issue also effects the safety function which keeps the tank from catching on fire in the event of a rollover accident. We contacted Jeep multiple times, but were told that this recall includes cars manufactured as late as January 2012 but does not include my car which was manufactured in February 2012. Jeep refused to look into the issue further because the car was not included in the recall.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 182017

I had a 1/4 tank of gas and went to the gas station to fill up. While pumping, the gas pump kept shutting off. I thought something was wrong with the gas pump so I went to another pump and the same thing continued to happened (I only got a few gallons). Later that day, I went to the gas station again and the same thing was happening, the pump shutting off. I was able to finally fill the tank after repeated shut offs, pumping and shuts off again. In 2014, I had the repair done (recall for the fuel tank transfer tube) however this is the first time I am experiencing this problem with my gas tank. I did some researching and it seems to be the gas tank vent system is not venting quick enough causing the gas is backing up. I will be calling my dealership to see what they can do about this. My real question is was the recall repair "faulty"?

- Middletown, DE, USA

Dec 242016

Vehicle frequently hesitates and/or occasionally stalls at both low & high speeds. Most often occurs on inclines. Took in for repair more than twice and still occurs. The technician witnessed it but could not produce a vehicle analysis conformation an accident occurred last christmas eve when vehicle stalled after accelerating from an idle at a stop light. The vehicle halted in traffic and was hit from behind. Also, stalled on the up-slope of a high bridge traffic on the gs parkway (NJ) at hwy speeds. After numerous failed start attempts it finally restarted a couple of hours later. The car has also decelerated or hesitated on several occasions while driving at different speeds without an incline. Also, vehicle makes grinding noice when turning during acceleration; mostly on right. Multiple lights (headlights, brake, signal and parking lights) have been a problem.

- Red Bank, NJ, USA

Dec 082012

My car is not showing up on the recall database. So the authorized dealer will not do the repair w/ out cost. My VIN needs to be added. Over 20,000 model year 2012 Jeep Patriot and compass vehicles are recalled because of fuel system problems. Chrysler says the transfer tube might not work correctly because the tube was incorrectly manufactured. Your engine could stall because the fuel from the secondary side wouldn┐T make it to the primary side of the tank. The affected vehicles were manufactured October 18, 2011, through May 7, 2012. ( my car was build 2/3/2012) and is a 4X4 refer to recall number N17. I had this issue numerous times.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Aug 032017

After pumping gas, less than a mile into my trip home, my Jeep's started stalling, the power steering went off (I couldn't easily turn the steering wheel) and it died in the middle of the road. I turned the key in the ignition to the off position, then back on and I was able to started it. I only moved about 500 feet and then it happened again. I turned it off, back on again and the same thing happened a third time, as I was getting home. I sat on my parking spot and the Jeep was stalling but it didn't die again. I looked up Jeep forums and it seem to be a common problem and people resolve it by not filling the tank all the way. Needless to say it was a very scary experience and it could've easily caused an accident.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 122017

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to Firestone of lubbock, Texas where it was determined that the fuel transfer tube did not bring fuel into the main fuel tank, which caused the vehicle to run out of fuel. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V120000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Apr 182017

I was pulling out of a parking lot onto a busy street. I put my foot on the accelerator to gain speed and there was no response. I could not accelerate. The check engine light came on. I was able to turn the car off and back on and was then able to accelerate. I had the car towed to the dealership. The dealership had the car for a week and said the car was fixed without giving much of an explanation. I had the car back for 2 day and it happened to me again twice. I took the car back to the dealership and they have had it for an additional week with no diagnosis. They say they have not been able to get the car to replicate the issue. I am concerned to drive the car as this has happened to me on three occasions on busy streets and it is very dangers.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 212017

On 3/21/2017 and on 3/22/2017 the vehicle stalled while in motion at different speeds 4 times. The battery was replaced due to this and the alternator was tested as to having no issue. It happens at various speeds from 25-70 mph and causes me to have to pull over to the side of the road when it stalls out which is very dangerous for anyone operating the vehicle and other vehicle operators that may be around me when this happens. Usually the car will start back up and run for another period of time before it happens again. Chrysler has had multiple complaints filed about this on multiple websites and with this Agency however the recalls implemented for this problem have only pertained to certain models none of which were related to my model of the Jeep Patriot. Again this has happened on city streets and highways and have yet to have a dealer or mechanic be able to diagnose the problem. Thanks

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Dec 012016

I try to fuel my 2012 Jeep Patriot (55000) miles, but the fuel pump continues to shut off. It takes me at least 10 minutes to pump 8 gallons of fuel into my tank. This has been going on for over a month now.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Sep 012015

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. When depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would not accelerate and the fuel injection sensor light illuminated. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manfucturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Concord, NC, USA

Oct 012015

When I would accelerate, the car would not go. The ets light would flash on and even though you press the gas pedal it would not go. It would be working fine one minute - then all of a sudden stop moving. It did this is heavy city traffic when I pulled out which terrified me to the point I thought I was going to get hit. It also happened on the interstate in traffic going 70 mph. Was nearly rear ended when it all of a sudden decided to stop accelerating. I never had issues before so I thought it may be bad fuel. I did a fuel treatment and the same issue occured. Jeep dearlership charged me a fortune to fix what they said was a bad electronic throttle system that was not covered by recall in this model.

- Plantersville, MS, USA

Jun 242015

A notification came on saying gas cap, a week later check engine light came on. I went for the diagnostic it read trouble code P0456. Which is an evap system leak detected. There isn't a possible cause for this. Reported fixes are replaced evaporative system integrity monitor (esim) assembly or replace the fuel filler cap. I took the car to the dealer and they wouldn't do anything because I was over 36,000 miles ( I was under the three year mark). I've replaced the gas cap, but I still have the same problem, which is a noticeable decrease in gas mileage and acceleration. I have an extended warranty but it doesn't cover anything related to emissions....updated 09/28/15 updated 11/08/2017

- Schaumburg , IL, USA

Jun 112015

Evap system leak

- Racine, WI, USA

May 212015

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. While driving at various speeds, the contact heard a sound from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Immediately after the vehicle was repaired, while driving 70 mph, the vehicle lost power and the electronic throttle control and fuel cap warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,555.

- Fairfield, TX, USA

Aug 192014

Patriot 4-cyl

On 8/19/14 my 2012 Jeep Patriot had 30,666 miles. I made a right turn onto the highway out of a shopping center parking lot and as soon as I had made the turn my car stalled out. I coasted a bit and pulled into the parking lots next entrance. I parked my Jeep and turned my key as if I was shutting my car off and then tried to turn it back on. To my surprise is turned on and I drove around the parking lot a little without another issue.. I immediately called a Jeep dealer but they told me unless the issue happened again they couldn't do anything about it. I was lucky no one rear ended me. It's a very busy highway. I bought a Jeep because I thought it'd be a safe vehicle to drive myself, my husband and my 1 year old baby around in. After this happened on the highway I have been extra cautious because I'm afraid it will stall again and we may not be as lucky the next time. I hope they will recall all Chrysler vehicles made with this faulty fuel pump. We all deserve a safe vehicle.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 262014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot with 54,000 miles. The stated that he had a recall done on his vehicle for the fuel system. A year later after the recall repair was done the contact noticed that the safety flap on the filler pipe was missing. The contact called the dealer and the manufacturer and they were unable to offer any assistance.

- Highland, NY, USA

Mar 132013

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that he attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V120000 (fuel system, gasoline ). the vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred again. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 52,000.

- Highland, NY, USA

Jan 282014

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that he attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V120000 (fuel system, gasoline ) but was informed that the parts were not available. The contact felt that since the failure was reported in April of 2013, there should have been a remedy available before January of 2014. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Revere, MA, USA

Apr 122013

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that after receiving a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number 13V120000 (fuel system, gasoline), the contact was informed by the dealer that they would not have the part to remedy the recall for seven weeks. The contact stated that seven weeks was to long to wait to repair a manufacturer's defect. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Caledonia, NY, USA