2.9

2013 Jeep Patriot drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Patriot:

2013 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

May 202019

Patriot

Cvt transmission overheating failure at 70 to 75 mph on highway, car shut down without warning and I was forced to pull off to shoulder. If no shoulder potential fatality could have occurred from high speed trucks or cars unable to slow down thus crashing into rear of car. This situation has occurred with numerous Patriots documented on the internet, as well as mine. Chrysler refuses to correct the problem by a recall.

- Wappingers Falls, NY, USA

Jul 072018

Patriot

2013 Jeep Patriot when driven on trips of 3 to 4 hours, the transmission overheat light come on and the vehicle loses power. And slowly loses all power to move the vehicle at all. When taken to the dealer, no data was found on the computer of the incident ever occuring and the dealer acts as though they have never heard of the situation, yet in the owners manual it tells you what to do if this situation occurs? which to me means they know its a problem, which occurs repeated depending on the length of your trip. For most who only drive locally, they may never experience this because it only seems to happen on the highway after several hours of driving. We no longer drive this vehicle out of town because of that and feel forced to rent vehicles for our own safety. I dont understand why there hasnt been a recall on this issue, it is extremely unsafe and occurs only when traveling in high speed situation on expressways. The date I used below was the last date I was willing to risk my life driving out of town with this vehicle. There were many times before that.

- Broadview, IL, USA

Jul 012018

Patriot

When driving in warmer weather (not even hot weather) the transmission fluid light comes one and the Jeep powers down. The manual states to let the car idle until the light comes off. No codes are ever detected and Jeep says there is nothing they can do without a code. This will happen several times during a trip and leaves Patriots stranded on the side of the highway with semi's and trucks whizzing by. It is very dangerous. On Jeep forums there are many, many cases of others stating the same thing has happened to them. It is a known issue with the jatco cvt transmission and Nissan has a class action lawsuit. This has happened to me at least 5 times to date.

- Victor, NY, USA

Nov 152018

Patriot

Premature input shaft bearing failure in the manual transmissions. Lots of issues on the web about this problem with a defective bearing that was installed by Jeep. Https://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/15-engine-drivetrain/312665-input-shaft-bearing-not-clutch.html https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/F9/input-shaft-bearing-throw-out-bearing-1184548/

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Mar 182019

Patriot

Transmission overheats anytime the Jeep is driven more than 20 to 30 mins at highway speeds. On a 2 hour drive, it can overheat as many as 4 times. It is consistently reproducible and happens every time, winter or summer. Jeep goes into limp mode, greatly reducing power available to safely move to the shoulder. This is a safety hazard as on more than one occasion, it was difficult to get over in high traffic. One one occasion the Jeep died, loss of all power in the center lane of a 3 lane, fast moving highway, requiring police assistance to stop traffic and push it to the side of the road. Most recent occurrence was 03/18/2019 while on the way to the dealership to have it looked at again. High pitched whine, then limp mode. These days I drive in the right lane to insure I can get to the shoulder if needed.

- Glendale, NY, USA

Feb 242017

Patriot

The Patriot cvt transmission is faulty and subject to early transmission failure. Around 90,000 miles, my transmission began overheating. This happens while traveling on the highway going an average of 65-70mph for more than an hour, transmission overheat warning light turns on and car begins to lose power. It's necessary to pull over and wait for cooldown with car turned off for at least 10 minutes- which is extremely dangerous to do on a major highway, sometimes at night. Jeep states this shouldn't happen unless you are towing or the temperature outside is exceedingly hot. My Patriot does this every time I take a trip that requires an hour or more of highway driving, regardless of temperature outside and despite the fact that I do not tow anything ever. Transmission whines loudly in the process and the car will slowly lose acceleration power right before the overheat light turns on. It's a scary experience every time. I've taken my Jeep into the dealership under warranty to fix this problem, however- their solution of changing out some valves did not prove to be effective as the problem continues to happen. Interstingly enough, Jeep ceased using the cvt transmission in 2014 after only 2 years- im assuming this problem has something to do with it.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Aug 102016

Patriot

The transmission overheats and looses power. It will make a high pitched whining noise and then the overheating light comes on and the vehicle looses power. Very scary in 4 lanes of traffic. Has happened at least 20 times since June 2015 when I purchased the vehicle. Has been to two different Jeep dealerships that can find nothing wrong with it.

- Meadowview, VA, USA

Sep 212014

Patriot 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Patriot. While driving 70 mph, the transmission warning light illuminated and the vehicle started to decelerate. The contact stated that the failure occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000. MA 10/8 updated 11/07/2017

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 262014

Patriot

Shortly after buying the 2013 Patriot, I noticed that it had a skip and was not shifting correctly. It would usually happen most of the time at take off from a still position and while going uphill, or at low speed (0 to 45mph) after taking it 3 times to the dealership because they couldn't figure it out, they finally sent it out of town to be checked, and low and behold they had to replace the whole transmission... with less than 10,000 mi!!!! and no its still no its working correctly, it still skips on occasion and usually at take off from a still position. Do not buy a Jeep! I never will again, and am worried for the future since I don't have the money to buy a different car. Also my brakes squeak, and have since the day I bought it, I believe they are defective as well. But the most concerning is the transmissions defiantly are defective and all Patriot owners I have spoke to have had the same problems, yet no recall! I guess someone will have to get hurt or worse first!

- Anniston, AL, USA

Sep 172014

Patriot

Jeep dealership said that the bearing went out in the transaxle which caused it to lock up. It locked up so hard that the case was cracked from the outside and all the fluid ran out of it. The dealership contacted corporate to see what they wanted to do. 3 days later, they replaced the transaxle. When I wanted to get copies of the pictures the dealership took, they said "no" and they belong to corporate because it is now in an investigation. I told them that I need the pictures because this could have locked up on the interstate and killed people. When we got the paperwork from the service guy, it said that we as the customer would "delight" in the installation of a witec system. We said no such thing. I think it is a wifi tracking monitoring system. I want there to be a record of this because it seems to me that if anything did happen, that they would try to cover it up.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Oct 282013

Patriot

1st time: Started to hear a ticking sound from under hood. Took it to one dealership, they told me to keep driving it cause they could hear it but didn't want to find it. Took it to another dealership, test drove it, found it, found out bearings in transmission were bad. 2nd time: 4th gear started jumping out when driving down road. Got consistently worse, took into dealership. Dealership tore transmission apart again. Changed 3/4 gear fork, and 2 other parts in transmission.

- Greensboro, PA, USA

Dec 242013

Patriot

The contact owns a 2013 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the transmission shifted erratically. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 14,102.

- Alburtis, PA, USA