ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 Jeep Renegade has a very large volume of complaints for such a new model, especially compared to other SUVs in the same class.

Most Jeep Renegade complaints are for various problems with interior accessories & electrical systems, as well as squealing brakes, transmission (rough shifting) and engine problems.

8.0

2. software update (3 reports)
  3. replace transmission (2 reports)
2015 Jeep Renegade transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Renegade:

2015 Jeep Renegade Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Renegade Latitude

I finally found a dealership willing to help me with my 2015 Jeep Renegade transmission. It would shift very hard from reverse to drive, even with barely any acceleration. I started complaining about the transmission to the dealership I purchased the jeep from, but they would not do anything for me, so it has taken a little over 2 years to finally get the transmission replaced.

The problem now is the new transmission seems to be worse then the old one, before they did all the computer updates to it. My gas mileage went from 26 to 31, down to a highest of 22 mpg. The transmission does not want to shift into 9th gear most of the time, and the RPM's stay high, even when driving down the expressway at a steady speed, no hills or curves. It sounds even louder also, shifts hard in several gears, and downshifts hard sometimes too now.

So my next step is to talk with the dealership that replaced the transmission and see what I need to do from here to get Jeep to acknowledge my new issues. I really just want to get rid of this, and all the headaches that have come with it!!!!

- sandymi, Dundee, MI, USA

Aug 122016

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

So I first noticed this problem a year ago around 20k miles; transmission slaming into gear really hard, particularly at a stop, later I noticed slips and a progressive increase in incidents. Well, a year, 20k miles, and 3 trips to the shop with no solution. (the last time they said they couldn't replicate the problem) Just scheduled again. Called my service rep directly and he said (no exaggeration here) "I hear this all the time, all we can really do is make a note." I commend myself for remaining composed at this response. I mentioned that the severity of the problem is that there have been times when it has slammed into gear at a stop hard enough that I though I'd been rear ended. He maintained that there was nothing to do for it. Great.

Rough shifts, slips, failure to deliver power at critical moments (can't wait until that causes an accident).

I've seen on other forums that this is an "uncommon" problem, however, since the dealship hears about it all the time, it is obviously quite common.

Anyone have success with resolving the problem or with a buyback or compensation?

- Phil C., Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 032017

Renegade Latitude 1.4L 4 cyl

The jeep has numerous recalls, one being jerking with the transmission which was fixed with a software upgrade. The latest issue is will not go into 9th gear at highway speed. The dealership told it was locked out, not a good answer so I called jeep corporation and they called the dealership where I bought it new. I have an appointment next week to see what the actual problem is. It would go into 9th fine until the software upgrade was completed.

Update from May 22, 2017: Took the Jeep to the dealership this morning, the 9th gear is not locked out. Every thing checked out OK. Will have 9th gear has needed, they also called Chrysler. Wii advise if the issues comes back up again.

- hfb47, Virginia beach, US

Oct 312015

Renegade Lattitude 2.4L

HARD SHIFTS, weird shifts during normal drive. Car shaking while driving without hitting accelerate pedal. This happened at mileage 1000 now my renegade has 17000.

- Shuang G., Pullman, WA, USA

Sep 022016

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

Transmission feels like a piece of junk. Taking off it slips like crazy and when you accelerate it will downshift and slam really hard. Every time you come to a stop it slams really hard. Feel like the tranny is going to explode. It is at the dealership and so far no fix. I had 2 different people from stew hansens ride with me and showed them what was happening but yet not fix offered. I have had it with this vehicle.

- Justin V., De Soto, IA, USA

Jun 262015

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

Gas mileage is really low at highway speeds since the vehicle will not go and stay in 9th gear.

- mcmmiddleton, Melbourne, FL, US

May 232016

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

I purchased a brand new Jeep Renegade on 03/2016 and after one month i feel very hard shifts in the first shifts, acceleration while allowing down. Timing of shifts is long and a message appear in board about the transmission must be check. I send the car to be check and the service department "fix" the problem, and now the problem repeat, the same message about transmission must be check even two times after start engine shift was blocked. Now again make an appointment...

Physically i love this car but honestly i can not feel safety with this car.

- mariob004, El Centro, CA, USA

Apr 252016

Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L

Immediately after I got my car back I had to drive to the VA Clinic again. When I left the clinic the car stalled and I attempted to start it again. Started but radio didn't work and couldn't move, restarted multiple times and was able to drive again. Once again drove home and at hills car was extremely shaky when changing gears and was unable to accelerate over 70mph safely. Got it back to the dealer for a couple of days and was told unable to duplicate symptoms.

- Victor A., Manhattan, KS, USA

Apr 182016

Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L

Took a trip to my VA Medical Center and got to it fine. On the return home whenever I hit a hill the transmission would downshift and up shift very aggressively. Took to the shop and after a week was told they could not duplicate the same conditions.

- Victor A., Manhattan, KS, USA

Feb 012016

click to see larger images

9-speed automatic transmission problem

Buyers be aware ! I generally never bad mouth a business unless is something that they aren't taking ownership about . I purchased a brand new Jeep Renegade on 12/28/2015 and I noticed that the vehicle started shifting weird at 100 miles . On 1/3 2016 I brought the car back because it wasn't downshifting . After riding with with the service people they told me that the transmission was defective. They replaced my vehicle with another one and after 500 miles it started doing the rough shifting again . I brought it back and they told me that the car was working as designed . It's 2/8/2016 and I'm back again after completing 800 miles on it and as I was driving it and turning left the traction control light came on and I lost complete power . I could speed up and I had 2 other passengers in the car . The display told me to put the vehicle in park and I restarted the car and the car acted normal again . I've called jeep corporation and they were pretty rude and useles .

Update from Feb 8, 2016: Here's the picture of the day I exchanged the car .

- Jvan J., Albuquerque, NM, US

Oct 032015

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

Very hard shifts, acceleration while allowing down. Timing of shifts is long.

- Andrew D., Washington, DC, USA

Jan 162016

Renegade Limited

The 2015 Jeep Renegade had about 800 miles when the problem appeared. I was driving on a freeway around at 70 MPH. All the sudden, the car started jerking and the car would not accelerate even when I push the pedal. So I got off the freeway and started driving local at lower speed, and the car was acting even worse. The car was jerking and came to a stop. The engine was on but the car would not go. Luckily, it was at night time and in a residential area. I changed the automatic 'D' to the semi-manual mode. The frequency of the jerking reduced but the car came to a stop again while I was driving around 6 miles to drop the car off at the dealer. This could have cause serious property damage and bodily harm. The dealer performed some software updates and it seems okay? but it has been only a day, and I test-drove only for about 5 miles. When I stepped hard on the pedal from stop position, 0 to about 3000RPM, the car jerked hard again. I hope Jeep recognizes the problem and solves the issue before someone gets hurt and things get aggravated....

- Hyoung Sik W., San Diego, CA, USA

May 132015

Renegade Latitude 2.7L

After owning the Jeep for a month or so, I decided that the sitting after reverse and searching for a gear then grabbing and lunging forward was not normal. Updated software, still having same problems but this time the Jeep slips out of gear while driving and has to be put into manual to gain control again. The 3rd time I brought it in they replaced the body valve and sensor. still experiencing the problems listed above. So the 4th time I brought it in flashed software and updates. The 5th time I brought it in was for the same reason listed above and when making left had u turns it will sometime just stop like the 4x4 system is binding up and halting the Jeep. They replaced the shifting assembly because for the first time it was reading error codes. So now its been 3 weeks or so and its back once again for the same reasons. I am so frustrated with this Jeep I want to get rid of and try another Renegade or get away from FCA!

- sircraigory, Trappe, PA, USA

Sep 082015

Renegade Sport 2.4L

On my way to work, at the last turn, the accelerator became unresponsive. Everything was on, car did not shut down. Just no go! I see the Automatic Transmission Failure light come on. I call Roadside assistance. They tow it back to the dealer. Jeep was contacted and the dealer have gone pretty much above and beyond to make me happy so far. It seems I need a new transmission to be put into a brand new vehicle!!

This is an outrage, But NOT the dealer's fault whatsoever. So Jeep is being gracious about it. I am really hoping that this is my only issue. I feel like this may or could be the beginning of a long, bad nightmare. I know these parts are made by humans and will give the benefit of the doubt, But trust? How can I trust the vehicle? How can I depend on it after this?

- Mark K., Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 272015

Renegade Latitude 4 cyl - 2.4L

We had to wait at least a month to receive our vehicle back even then something still seemed off with the Vehicle. What was going on was that the transmission gear was not shifting correctly and it became unsafe to drive after purchasing the vehicle and being able to drive it for only 3 days.....We were able to finally get our vehicle back right before we made our first payment..

- Misty J., Augusta, Georgia

Sep 142015

Renegade Limited 2.4L 9 Speed Transmission

On Saturday September 12, 2015 I bought my Jeep Renegade brand new with maybe 20 miles on it. Monday September 14, 2015 on my way to work the car stalled, RPMs went to zero and when you hit the gas nothing happened. The car told me to put it in park, so I did and then restarted it. It then did it again in the parking lot at work this time throwing a service engine light. We were now at 80 miles on the car.

Tuesday September 15 at 7am the car was dropped off at the dealership where they had it for the whole day. I was told Tuesday evening I could pick up the car because there was nothing wrong with the car they took it out three different times and it was driving smooth. On my way home from the dealership the car stalled, RPMs dropped to zero and when you hit the gas nothing happened. I restarted the car and was almost home when it started to misfire.

The dealership came and picked up the car the car that night. Wednesday September 16 I was told that they were going to replace a drive control module and crankshaft sensor. Thursday September 17 I picked up my car and was given a 1-800 number to file my complaint with about my inconvenience. The customer service told me I would hear back Monday or Tuesday.

While waiting to hear back from them I experienced another issue with the car this time the radio would just shut off and the screen would say jeep. It was now Wednesday September 23rd and I was on my third visit back to the dealership, where they did an update to the computer. That day I also called back the customer service when I found the number to be disconnected. When I was able to get a hold of someone, I learned that my case wasn't sent up to be looked at by a case worker yet and that it would be 1-2 business days before I heard from them.

Thursday September 24, I started my car to go to work when it flashed across the screen to haven 4WD serviced (never even used 4WD yet). My car is scheduled to be seen for its 4th this Wednesday.

I have written the GM of the dealership to ask about getting a new one and was told I had to go through jeep. So once again I called the 1-800 number, who had not once returned my other two calls, and tired to file a complaint and talk to a supervisor. I was denied the option to talk to someone higher up and then was denied a direct number to people who deal with the lemon law. I was once again told 1-2 business days before someone would call. When I refused to accept that I was told by Chris the customer service guy that he was going to refuse to send my compliant to the lemon law case workers because I was "refusing" help.

I am not "refusing" help I just want to speak with someone now because no one ever returns calls. He then said they were going to just offer two years free of oil services and that should be good because you never get anything free. I simply told him nothing is free your correct but when you buy a new car you shouldn't be servicing it two days later and going on your 4th shop trip 2 1/2 weeks into owning it either.

It's amazing how much they just push you around in hopes you'll just give up. I'm floored no one is taking ownership and stepping up to say hey this is a brand new car and you shouldn't be going through this. When is enough enough?

- sagardner7, Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Jul 252015

Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L

I love my Renegade Trailhawk. Put 3k in after market stuff so far ...about 500 miles brand new, I got it at 23 miles. It started to act funny, I could feel every shift. Then one morning put in reverse, hard shift like there was not clutch, it's a auto ..it does this about two to three times, then smooth as butter. On a down shift you can feel the transmission struggling to find out what gear it really wants, sometimes accelerating on its own, which is kind of scary.

I took it to the dealer they said software issues, fixed good to go. On the way home it was fixed, smooth as my BMW. The next morning same hard shift into reverse. Back to dealer on Monday. I have seen over 100 complaints about this very same thing and there is a 30 day wait on transmission. First and last Chrysler product...

- Adam G., Kettering, OH, USA

Jun 172015

Renegade

click to see larger images

9-speed automatic transmission problem

Got a brand new 2015 Jeep Renegade from here less than 2 weeks ago. The car broke down on my 5th day of ownership before reaching 200 miles, got it serviced from the place of purchase, after a 4 day wait of uncertainty on their part, they told me it was a simple fuel valve issue despite my assertion that it was electrical or relevant to the transmission.

Got the car back and it broke down again after only 2 days and 40 more miles. Throughout the process, nobody was keeping me informed, I had to constantly call them only to receive conflicting reports from different employees. I took it elsewhere at that point. The managers don't return my calls and the receptionists don't pass along my messages, and when they did call back they basically told me tough luck and that I have to go through the corporate hydra of Chrysler all by myself, this is not right and at any other dealership they would have helped walk me through it.

Got the car back a few days later, and it broke down a third time with the same exact issue. Currently in the shop and nobody knows what's wrong with it.

Currently looking to get my car replaced by Chrysler but they are reluctant to admit their fault even though it is BRAND NEW!

- Hayden D., Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 082015

Renegade Lattitude 2.4L

The problems haunting Jeep on their 9-speed automatic transmission have been inherited by the 2015 Jeep Renegade. I have owned this car now for 5 days and, on three separate occasions, I have experienced a sudden burst of acceleration while trying to come to a stop and also when letting the vehicle roll slowly forward (as in traffic at a stop light). It is quite disconcerting and I am very afraid what will happen if it does this while I am on slick roads.

I can see this transmission has been a major issue in Cherokees and I am wondering why Jeep is still putting them in their cars. Is this why the release of the Renegade took so long?

- lnwolfs, Coeur D Alene, ID, US