ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: Be warned the previous model year (2015) Jeep Renegade has a large number of complaints reported by owners. Time will tell whether the 2016 Renegade has the same issues.

9.2

2016 Jeep Renegade engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Renegade:

2016 Jeep Renegade Owner Comments

Aug 202018

Renegade Sport

This problem has happened to me multiple times. This is the first time I have found this page. I can be driving and the RPMs will stay around 2000 but the Jeep will not go anywhere. After a couple of seconds it starts running again and I can drive. This has happened when I am leaving from a stop also. I have been close to getting hit multiple times. I will start making more posts about this when it happens.

Update from Oct 11, 2018: Oct. 1, 2018, 51551 miles, engine stalls again. I was leaving a traffic light RPMs at 1K, and it will not go any faster, speed was stuck at 20mph.

- adzm99, Junction, US

Jul 202018

Renegade Limited 2.5L Fi

I was in traffic flowing along on the highway at 70mph and it slowed to a crawl...stop and go at 5-10mph for about 15 minutes. Road dry, sunny, about 92 degrees F. I had the AC on and the radio full blast. I was pulling forward to crawl along and it stalled. The message center says it's not running and hit the brake and the ignition button so I did, and it started and I moved out. Happened again about 5 min. later. This time it didn't just start and I had to put it in park for a moment before it would start. Lucky for me we were going slow enough that people worked around me. The third time I was moving along faster at about 20mph as the congestion was freeing up...it stalled again. It was scary, nothing works and I had to glide over to the emergency lane. Dangerous. Scary. I know the 2017 Jeep had a recall for stalling due to a BFP. Does my 2016 have this issue also? I am no longer under warranty and I can't afford to have it checked out. I called Chrysler and reported it.

- D M., PUEBLO, US

Jan 172018

Renegade Trailhawk

The 2016 Renegade shut off twice now on me. Pulled out of my driveway (after letting vehicle warm up for 10 minutes), drove 500 feet to a stop sign, tuned left, the engine is in drive, sort of running but not moving and I get a message to step on the brake and push the button to start. It WAS started and running until I made a left turn.

- Michael S., East Freetown, US

Feb 062018

Renegade LX V4

I was driving the Jeep Renegade this morning and Monday morning (2/8 and 2/6/2018) and just after 1 mile of driving I took a right turn and the engine just died. The accelerator didn't respond and I had to put it in Park then shut it off and then Start again. In both instances there was no one behind me and it was early morning, so nothing happened.... Thank God. But this is AWFUL!!!! Please help. I usually have my kids in my car I don't want anything happening . Any Solutions .... Please help .....Extremely critical... any suggestions....

- Sujata C., Gainesville, US

Jan 152018

Renegade Trail Hawk 2.4L

Upon making a right turn from a stop, the car stalled out and there was no ability to accelerate. Got stuck in the middle of the intersection and fortunately the car behind me didn't bang me.

- Gregory G., Renton, WA, US

May 042017

Renegade Trailhawk

2016 Jeep Renegade lost power as I was accelerating from their side entrance stop sign. I stopped at the stop sign. I began pushing the gas and the Renegade started accelerating as it should, then suddenly the Renegade stopped while making the right turn which had an incline. After a few pumps on the gas, it picked up and accelerated. I had a full tank of gas at the time. No other vehicles were around at this time, which I was thankful for. I do not trust this vehicle.

- Misty G., Bean Station, US

Jun 192017

Renegade

Again, the Renegade's engine stalled/cut out when making a right turn. This time I was across two lanes of traffic and nearly got killed again. My sub only has one entrance that right now is to a major road under major construction so the other drivers are not in good moods. Especially when I have to stop and restart the vehicle. The Vehicle is in "drive" and the message says to step on brake and push button to start. I am in drive already for crying out.

I could repeat this issue at least thirty times.

Dealerships have not been able to fix the problem. One time they claimed to run in new software, but nothing changed. I was told that this had happened to another woman and they ended up giving her another Renegade. Service department was rude and not at all understanding that this problem has been on going and I need to have a replacement vehicle. Being told that I don't have that coverage (never offered to me). So I will have to drive an hour to the original Jeep dealership so I can get a temporary vehicle. Was told if I wasn't satisfied with the results to deal with Chrysler about it.

- Bernadette G., Clinton Township, US

Aug 172016

Renegade

The 2016 Renegade turns off when I make right turns. The engine is in drive, sort of running but not moving and I get a message to step on the brake and push the button to start. It WAS started and running until I made a right turn.

- Bernadette G., Clinton Township, US