ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2008 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems: failure of the

Failure Of The "Totally Integrated Power Module" (Tipm)

2008 Jeep Wrangler (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

9.0

$920

1. replace the module (43 reports)
  3. flash update TIPM and pcm (1 reports)
2008 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 172018

Wrangler V6

My 16 year old son was left stranded. He tried to crank the Jeep and it went crazy. Lights flash, horn, wipers and washer fluid went nuts and it even does it without the key in it. The engine started and could not be turned off. Even when taking the key out of the ignition, It continued to run.

- Jennifer S., Thomasville, GA, US

Dec 082017

Wrangler Sahara 3.8L V6

Started with loss of wipers, door locks and key fob issues. Replaced ECU. A month later replaces BCM. A month later replace new BCM. A month later car won't start, but then does a few hours later. On way to shop horn, wipers and airbag light comes on and won't stop. Still on after key removed. Had to pull battery. Next day everything works. Two days later after heavy rain nothing works. Leaving it with shop owner to explore.

- Peter M., Wilmette, US

Dec 102017

Wrangler JK 3.2L V6

The damn headlights started working half the time, then after a month they worked once in awhile. Now they come on, flash 3 times then go off. Replaced, them, replaced switch, cleaned contacts nothing has helped. Now they and the forums all say its the TIPM and $1200+ to fix. Plus reviews say after market don't work and require dealer programming. lights going off at night randomly was dangerous now it just cant be driven and wont pass inspection or can be sold.

- Bruce M., The Plains, VA, US

Jan 092018

Wrangler Jk Sahara 3.8L

From what I have researched, this is a common problem with Chrysler vehicles of different brands and different years. The TIPM is not reading or recording the info of the vehicle correctly, horn, lights, flasher, wipers, wiper fluids, radio and power locks have been turning on and off by themselves, even when the keys are not in the ignition. So many states have filed for factory recall. Chrysler said no thanks, what a surprise! I have just started into fixing the problem, do not know what it is. The Jeep is going to the mechanic tomorrow. I hope he has heard of it. Come on Chrysler let's get it together.

- 1airborne2, Chula Vista, US

Dec 212017

Wrangler Rubicon 3.8L

Failed TIPM resulted in battery failure - excessive complete drains - also personal economic losses.

- Jim A., Oklahoma City, US

Aug 102011

Wrangler X 3.8L V6

This was the first failure of the TIPM. The passenger side power window would refuse to roll up. Not terrible, but definitely annoying to have to disconnect your battery to reset the TIPM and roll the window up. I made a separate complaint for the second failure, but a little preview is that the wipers, headlights and turn signals suddenly stopped working. After trying to replace every switch and module in the steering column I had to drop another 500 dollars for...you guessed it...another TIPM. Do not buy a jeep.

- jjghh1, Scarsdale, US

Nov 112017

Wrangler X 3.8L V6

Headlights, signals, and wipers stopped working without warning. Replaced clock spring, multifunction switches, ignition module without resolution. This is the second TIPM failure I have experienced with this vehicle.

- jjghh1, Scarsdale, US

Sep 112017

Wrangler Sahara 2.8L

Opened rear driver's side door. Immediately front and rear wipers started going back and forth. Horn was very loud. Lights were on, hazard lights were flashing. Put key into ignition and everything stopped. I have had the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) replaced THREE times previously to fix this intermittent issue. Looks like it will now be going in for the FOURTH new TIPM.

- Lance S., Saint Paul, MN, US

Oct 222016

Wrangler Sahara 3.8L

So, check engine light came on a week after lots of repairs for crazy warning lights. This time the shop replaced the O2 sensors and the catalytic converter. This 'fix' worked for 10 weeks. Back to the 'add complaint' button.

I wonder if the TIPM had been replaced at the first sign of trouble months ago if I would have avoided lots of unnecessary and ridiculous repairs.

- Pam P., Agawam, MA, US

Jun 262017

Wrangler V6

Had the TIPM replaced in early 2016 (It is a 2008 and not covered by recall but should be) and now the replacement has failed. It is extremely dangerous and expensive to fix. I love my Jeep but this is a nightmare. I should have been reimbursed a year and a half ago and now have to pay for this again? Happened during rush hour traffic, Vehicle died and horn started...windshield wipers kept going including fluid. I could have been injured.

- ginger1029, South Mills, NC, USA

Oct 202016

Wrangler X 3.8L V6

I bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X used from a dealership in October 2016. After having the Jeep for only about 2 weeks the horn, wiper blades, wiper fluid, you name it began going off on their own and the Jeep would not start. I took it back to the dealership that I bought it at (Ford) and was told some recalls needed fixing. They fixed the recalls and it seemed fine for about a week, then all hell broke loose again. I took it back and told them after doing research the problem was the TIPM and I wanted it replaced. They sent it to a Jeep dealership and after about 2 weeks I got the Jeep back with a new TIPM. (The Ford dealership was really great about it). Well...fast forward 6 months later and all hell breaks loose again. I had to unplug the horn because I didn't want to wake the neighbors everyday. This happened occasionally over the next month or so, then the Jeep shut off on me while driving. This seemed to be an isolated incident until yesterday. It cutoff on me twice while on the way home from work. Nothing like pushing a Jeep to the side of the road by yourself in the middle of rush hour traffic. I got out and beat on the top of the TIPM box (which I have found seems to "fix" the issue sometimes) and the Jeep started back up, but the radio stops working (until I switch a few fuses around). I'm beyond disappointed that a recall hasn't been issued for this. Now it's time to call the dealership back and see if I can get another TIPM (which I doubt) and hopefully it lasts longer than 6 months.

- Barry M., Winter Haven, FL, US

Jun 072017

Wrangler X 3.8L

I opened the driver's door and was greeted by the constant blare of a horn, wipers that took off without a key in the ignition AND to add insult to injury, a constant squirt of wiper fluid. It only stops when the battery is disconnected from the vehicle and restarts every time I hook it back up. After a quick check online, this appears to be a known and common issue with tipm failure.

- Amy J., Culver, OR, US

Apr 212017

Wrangler Unlimited 3.2L V6

All warning indicator lights come on, windshield wipers come on while in the off position, radio stays on after vehicle shut off. Took vehicle to local Jeep dealership, problem was observed by dealer personnel, and they still couldn't fix the problem and charged me $66.00. Still occurring. Took to another Dealership, (Not Jeep), they diagnosed the TIPM but couldn't fix due to it being a Jeep, didn't charge a thing.

- Paul D., Winchester, US

Jun 222016

Wrangler

Randomly the horn starts going off, wiper fluid shooting out and the wipers going like crazy, air conditioner not working. Nothing you can do will make it stop, it just, after several minutes does stop. Variation of this has happened 6 times over the last two months. The dealer cannot figure out what is wrong and says will not be able to unless we can bring it in while the car is looking possessed. They acknowledge that it may be the TIPM but cannot confirm and given the expense of replacing it don't recommend that we do so without knowing for sure this is the problem. Of course this makes it a problem to be driving this car, as you never know when the wipers and horn will start going crazy.

- Susan W., Thetford Center, VT, USA

Sep 302016

Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.8

Have been having intermittent problems with headlights not wanting to work. Now it has started blowing horn randomly. The worst was Friday when I was driving 70 mph and the jeep lost all power and was like it went into park and came to sudden stop in middle of interstate. The sudden stop resulted in my passenger hitting her knees into dash and brushing the left and minor cut on the right. 3 cars were immediately behind me and all had to swerve to keep from hitting me. One car stopped and man got out cussing me thinking I was being an ass by stopping in middle of intestate. Then he seen I was having problems. He had to help me push jeep off the interstate cause I wouldn't even turn over. Once we got off the interstate it started back up. I have read about these issues and seems to be related to the tipm. This seems to be a major problem and could have gotten me and several others killed. Please contact me in regards to this Chrysler......... cgodwin52@gmail.com

- Curtis G., Water Valley, MS, USA

Feb 242017

Wrangler Limited 3.8L V6

Jeep electrical issues are terrible-completely unable to keep it under control. Windows, locks, windshield wipers and fluids, horn/alarm, lights will all turn on and won't turn off just by hitting the unlock button the vehicle-when you try to start the jeep while all this is on it won't help anything-drove it to have it checked while these electrical things were happening and there is no advice-although I have read numerous complaints on the web with the same issues with Jeeps starting in 2007 and for some reason a recall hasn't been made?????

- Stacey H., Fayetteville, AR, US

Feb 232017

Wrangler Limited 3.2L V6

I can't drive my Jeep with the chances that this issue will continue to happen. I am driving down the road and out of no where my horn, wipers, wiper fluid, and power locks go absolutely INSANE!! I have to pull over, and unhook the battery because just taking out the key isn't enough. I have a TIPM issue for sure. I see that they recalled the 2007 Jeep Wrangler's TIPM. I looked at my part last night, and it was manufactured in 2007!!!!!! Yet, my Jeep doesn't have a recall. So, I will have to pay for it myself. My Jeep is not safe to drive, because I don't know when this will happen again, or how much worse it will get. It continues to get worse and worse every day.

- karleigh, Walker, US

Dec 132016

Wrangler Sahara V6

I cannot believe that most dealerships do not recognize this problem by now. They will not even listen when you tell them of the countless events documented on the internet that it s the TIPM module.

Update from Jan 30, 2017: Dealership finally replaced the TIPM module -- car is like brand new. NOTE: Service department would not admit that this is a defect or even a known problem even though it is well documented and my buddy who is and investigative reporter has even done a story on it:

- jeepbear, Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 202016

Wrangler Limited 3.8L V6

I just want to start of by saying how disgusted I am at Jeep's intentional denial of their retarded TIPM! WHY would you engineer a part that controls the whole dam vehicle when their is a HUGE RISK OF Failure due to poor engineering!! Its the reason why car owners prefer RELIABILITY and DEPENDABILITY versus DESIGN AND FEATURES!! WHY DO we buy Toyotas made in Japan and not in AMERCA...because they have retards working in the U.S. plants that only care about the bottom dollar not the loyalty of their customers..ie recalls of TOYOTAS MADE IN THE U.S...I have experienced only 2 Chrysler vehicles in my lifetime (2001 Town and Country) both came with the same pathetic unreliability ( tranny replaced after 70,000 miles, electrical issues, TIPM..just the same old crap like most of their victimized customers go threw! WE are victims of LEGAL CROOCKS! I tried calling several jeep dealerships about the TIPM and all of them denied ever hearing any issues with this part!! HUH?!! Look on the web with the countless complaints is what I said, and I even called their parts department to find out how many replacement TIPM have sold since 2007! What pisses me off even more is that they only recalled certain models from Crapsler and denied JEEPS! What a POS move!

My Jeep has progressively gotten worse due to the TIPM...it started with the sluggish performance, then the alarm would act up, my ride side passenger door wont lock but the alarm will go off if the door is opened, the headlights would stay on for awhile after I engage my alarm..then came the left headlight going on and off without warning at night followed by both headlights going out when they wanted too..only light left to save me from crashing on the freeway is my foglights which luckily havnt acted up yet...next I got the windshield wipers front and back turned on unexpectedly and wont turn of while the horn engaged and won't turn off, then I got a bunch of codes assoiated with this POS part,.. the finale was my car stalling in the middle of the street at night with the windshield wipers going nuts spraying water all over car wouldnt start and door locks erratically locking and unlocking, and ofcourse the drivers behind me honking their horns at the annoyance! I had to push my jeep to the curb and begin punching the crap of the TIPM and it temp fixed it for a split second before it returned back to the headlights and windshield bullcrap! If I would have been on the freeway when it stalled..who's knows what could have happended?!!! This is unacceptable and its unacceptable that the National Highway and Safety Admin are not doing a F@$^(%@ thing about it...they actually denied the request to investigate this claim which leads me to believe they are just as responsible for not doing anything about it!! Do we need several deadly crashes to help motivate this moneygrubbing bastards! I could care less about the jobs lost and screw bailing them out! Run this company to the ground OR SELL YOUR COMPANY TO THE JAPANESE bc atleast they care about what their customers THINK!

- sakudi, Bonita, CA, USA

Oct 122016

Wrangler Sahara 3.8L V6

I have replace the Blower motor and relay the blower motor control module, and the AC/Heat control switch and still the blower will just shut down or will run when it feels like it the door locks will open sometimes and then they wont unlock at all, the wipers will jump when vehicle is started they do work but waiting on them to act up now also, I did have all the recalls done per Chrysler's request even though it doesn't have front tow bar and they do not have parts for air bag inflator yet.. then had diagnostics done to confirm TIPM was bad but yet because of Jeeps age and mileage I get no help from Chrysler even though they know there having major issues, with the TIPM in several model vehicles...

I am replacing it on my own because its my wife's vehicle and she needs it to work and be safe to drive heat is a good thing when cold outside and AC needs to work also...

this should be a recall its more important than a tow bar recall when the vehicle doesn't even have one???

- Mark R., Virginia Beach, VA, USA