ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.0

$920

1. replace the module (44 reports)
  3. flash update TIPM and pcm (1 reports)
2008 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Wrangler:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 102018

Wrangler X 3.6L

Basically the horn goes off. Wipers an wiper fluid go off lights back wipe goes off. Pulled the key to shut the jeep off an it kept running. Had to disconnect the battery to get anything to shut off. Once I reconnected the battery it will not start for hours. After a couple hours it will start back up. If you whack the tipm box it will click an sometimes it will start after that. Also the jeep will lose all power an not start. This is very dangerous in traffic. Left my wife an my two children ages 2 an 7 months in the middle of traffic dead.

- Nate M., Fallon, NV, US

Sep 082018

Wrangler X 3.8L V6

I had taken a friend to get a washing machine she had purchased on Craigslist and when I was backing the JEEP up to the porch of the sellers home, the JEEP just shut off! NOTHING worked, including my brakes which was very scary seeing I was on a hill with a pond at the bottom. The homeowner brought a large block and put it in front of the tire to keep my vehicle from rolling into his pond!!!

Here I am, a female with another female (my friend), at a strangers home out in the woods and MY CAR IS DEAD! Nice work Chrysler!! Thankfully, after a few minutes it started back up, but this is unacceptable!!!!

- Jamie M., Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 172018

Wrangler V6

My 16 year old son was left stranded. He tried to crank the Jeep and it went crazy. Lights flash, horn, wipers and washer fluid went nuts and it even does it without the key in it. The engine started and could not be turned off. Even when taking the key out of the ignition, It continued to run.

- Jennifer S., Thomasville, GA, US

Dec 082017

Wrangler Sahara 3.8L V6

Started with loss of wipers, door locks and key fob issues. Replaced ECU. A month later replaces BCM. A month later replace new BCM. A month later car won't start, but then does a few hours later. On way to shop horn, wipers and airbag light comes on and won't stop. Still on after key removed. Had to pull battery. Next day everything works. Two days later after heavy rain nothing works. Leaving it with shop owner to explore.

- Peter M., Wilmette, US

Dec 102017

Wrangler JK 3.2L V6

The damn headlights started working half the time, then after a month they worked once in awhile. Now they come on, flash 3 times then go off. Replaced, them, replaced switch, cleaned contacts nothing has helped. Now they and the forums all say its the TIPM and $1200+ to fix. Plus reviews say after market don't work and require dealer programming. lights going off at night randomly was dangerous now it just cant be driven and wont pass inspection or can be sold.

- Bruce M., The Plains, VA, US

Jan 092018

Wrangler Jk Sahara 3.8L

From what I have researched, this is a common problem with Chrysler vehicles of different brands and different years. The TIPM is not reading or recording the info of the vehicle correctly, horn, lights, flasher, wipers, wiper fluids, radio and power locks have been turning on and off by themselves, even when the keys are not in the ignition. So many states have filed for factory recall. Chrysler said no thanks, what a surprise! I have just started into fixing the problem, do not know what it is. The Jeep is going to the mechanic tomorrow. I hope he has heard of it. Come on Chrysler let's get it together.

- 1airborne2, Chula Vista, US

Dec 212017

Wrangler Rubicon 3.8L

Failed TIPM resulted in battery failure - excessive complete drains - also personal economic losses.

- Jim A., Oklahoma City, US

Aug 102011

Wrangler X 3.8L V6

This was the first failure of the TIPM. The passenger side power window would refuse to roll up. Not terrible, but definitely annoying to have to disconnect your battery to reset the TIPM and roll the window up. I made a separate complaint for the second failure, but a little preview is that the wipers, headlights and turn signals suddenly stopped working. After trying to replace every switch and module in the steering column I had to drop another 500 dollars for...you guessed it...another TIPM. Do not buy a jeep.

- jjghh1, Scarsdale, US

Nov 112017

Wrangler X 3.8L V6

Headlights, signals, and wipers stopped working without warning. Replaced clock spring, multifunction switches, ignition module without resolution. This is the second TIPM failure I have experienced with this vehicle.

- jjghh1, Scarsdale, US

Sep 112017

Wrangler Sahara 2.8L

Opened rear driver's side door. Immediately front and rear wipers started going back and forth. Horn was very loud. Lights were on, hazard lights were flashing. Put key into ignition and everything stopped. I have had the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) replaced THREE times previously to fix this intermittent issue. Looks like it will now be going in for the FOURTH new TIPM.

- Lance S., Saint Paul, MN, US

Oct 222016

Wrangler Sahara 3.8L

So, check engine light came on a week after lots of repairs for crazy warning lights. This time the shop replaced the O2 sensors and the catalytic converter. This 'fix' worked for 10 weeks. Back to the 'add complaint' button.

I wonder if the TIPM had been replaced at the first sign of trouble months ago if I would have avoided lots of unnecessary and ridiculous repairs.

- Pam P., Agawam, MA, US

Jun 262017

Wrangler V6

Had the TIPM replaced in early 2016 (It is a 2008 and not covered by recall but should be) and now the replacement has failed. It is extremely dangerous and expensive to fix. I love my Jeep but this is a nightmare. I should have been reimbursed a year and a half ago and now have to pay for this again? Happened during rush hour traffic, Vehicle died and horn started...windshield wipers kept going including fluid. I could have been injured.

- ginger1029, South Mills, NC, USA

Oct 202016

Wrangler X 3.8L V6

I bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X used from a dealership in October 2016. After having the Jeep for only about 2 weeks the horn, wiper blades, wiper fluid, you name it began going off on their own and the Jeep would not start. I took it back to the dealership that I bought it at (Ford) and was told some recalls needed fixing. They fixed the recalls and it seemed fine for about a week, then all hell broke loose again. I took it back and told them after doing research the problem was the TIPM and I wanted it replaced. They sent it to a Jeep dealership and after about 2 weeks I got the Jeep back with a new TIPM. (The Ford dealership was really great about it). Well...fast forward 6 months later and all hell breaks loose again. I had to unplug the horn because I didn't want to wake the neighbors everyday. This happened occasionally over the next month or so, then the Jeep shut off on me while driving. This seemed to be an isolated incident until yesterday. It cutoff on me twice while on the way home from work. Nothing like pushing a Jeep to the side of the road by yourself in the middle of rush hour traffic. I got out and beat on the top of the TIPM box (which I have found seems to "fix" the issue sometimes) and the Jeep started back up, but the radio stops working (until I switch a few fuses around). I'm beyond disappointed that a recall hasn't been issued for this. Now it's time to call the dealership back and see if I can get another TIPM (which I doubt) and hopefully it lasts longer than 6 months.

- Barry M., Winter Haven, FL, US

Jun 072017

Wrangler X 3.8L

I opened the driver's door and was greeted by the constant blare of a horn, wipers that took off without a key in the ignition AND to add insult to injury, a constant squirt of wiper fluid. It only stops when the battery is disconnected from the vehicle and restarts every time I hook it back up. After a quick check online, this appears to be a known and common issue with tipm failure.

- Amy J., Culver, OR, US

Apr 212017

Wrangler Unlimited 3.2L V6

All warning indicator lights come on, windshield wipers come on while in the off position, radio stays on after vehicle shut off. Took vehicle to local Jeep dealership, problem was observed by dealer personnel, and they still couldn't fix the problem and charged me $66.00. Still occurring. Took to another Dealership, (Not Jeep), they diagnosed the TIPM but couldn't fix due to it being a Jeep, didn't charge a thing.

- Paul D., Winchester, US

Jun 222016

Wrangler

Randomly the horn starts going off, wiper fluid shooting out and the wipers going like crazy, air conditioner not working. Nothing you can do will make it stop, it just, after several minutes does stop. Variation of this has happened 6 times over the last two months. The dealer cannot figure out what is wrong and says will not be able to unless we can bring it in while the car is looking possessed. They acknowledge that it may be the TIPM but cannot confirm and given the expense of replacing it don't recommend that we do so without knowing for sure this is the problem. Of course this makes it a problem to be driving this car, as you never know when the wipers and horn will start going crazy.

- Susan W., Thetford Center, VT, USA

Sep 302016

Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.8

Have been having intermittent problems with headlights not wanting to work. Now it has started blowing horn randomly. The worst was Friday when I was driving 70 mph and the jeep lost all power and was like it went into park and came to sudden stop in middle of interstate. The sudden stop resulted in my passenger hitting her knees into dash and brushing the left and minor cut on the right. 3 cars were immediately behind me and all had to swerve to keep from hitting me. One car stopped and man got out cussing me thinking I was being an ass by stopping in middle of intestate. Then he seen I was having problems. He had to help me push jeep off the interstate cause I wouldn't even turn over. Once we got off the interstate it started back up. I have read about these issues and seems to be related to the tipm. This seems to be a major problem and could have gotten me and several others killed. Please contact me in regards to this Chrysler......... cgodwin52@gmail.com

- Curtis G., Water Valley, MS, USA

Feb 242017

Wrangler Limited 3.8L V6

Jeep electrical issues are terrible-completely unable to keep it under control. Windows, locks, windshield wipers and fluids, horn/alarm, lights will all turn on and won't turn off just by hitting the unlock button the vehicle-when you try to start the jeep while all this is on it won't help anything-drove it to have it checked while these electrical things were happening and there is no advice-although I have read numerous complaints on the web with the same issues with Jeeps starting in 2007 and for some reason a recall hasn't been made?????

- Stacey H., Fayetteville, AR, US

Feb 232017

Wrangler Limited 3.2L V6

I can't drive my Jeep with the chances that this issue will continue to happen. I am driving down the road and out of no where my horn, wipers, wiper fluid, and power locks go absolutely INSANE!! I have to pull over, and unhook the battery because just taking out the key isn't enough. I have a TIPM issue for sure. I see that they recalled the 2007 Jeep Wrangler's TIPM. I looked at my part last night, and it was manufactured in 2007!!!!!! Yet, my Jeep doesn't have a recall. So, I will have to pay for it myself. My Jeep is not safe to drive, because I don't know when this will happen again, or how much worse it will get. It continues to get worse and worse every day.

- karleigh, Walker, US

Dec 132016

Wrangler Sahara V6

I cannot believe that most dealerships do not recognize this problem by now. They will not even listen when you tell them of the countless events documented on the internet that it s the TIPM module.

Update from Jan 30, 2017: Dealership finally replaced the TIPM module -- car is like brand new. NOTE: Service department would not admit that this is a defect or even a known problem even though it is well documented and my buddy who is and investigative reporter has even done a story on it:

- jeepbear, Atlanta, GA, USA