ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems: fuel spill when fueling

Fuel Spill When Fueling

2010 Jeep Wrangler (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

8.0

$990

2. replace tank (6 reports)
2010 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Wrangler:

2010 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 252017

Wrangler Limited

Fuel spills when filling up tank, just started a couple of weeks ago, have no idea what has caused the problem. Using ethanol gasoline, regular grade.

- Charles C., Spokane, US

Jun 012017

Wrangler

Nothing to add that hasn't already been posted. Nozzle fails to shut off when fueling. I have to listen very closely now to make sure fuel doesn't make its way up the hose from the tank. Feel like I'm fueling an ancient relic with this occurring.

- El D., Casper, US

Apr 012017

Wrangler Sahara

This problem is not fixed! I bought this car used several months ago and have had the problem ever since.

Gasoline gushes out of the fill hole when the nozzle shuts off. The first time it happened I was soaked with gasoline. After several consecutive episodes I asked the pump attendant if he had ever seen this problem and he said he had not. I have learned to prevent the problem by never filling the tank, estimating how many gallons it would take to fill and then stopping several gallons short.

I consider this a serious problem and will post a notice on and/or in the car so that any unsuspecting driver will not be taken by surprise.

- Derwin B., Norton, MA, US

Sep 012016

Wrangler Rubicon 3.8L

The biggest problem is that it is a "Known" issue and Chrysler doesn't want to do anything to fix it. They'd rather you just go into more debt to buy an new one than honor they're products ...

- Jd W., Spring, US

Nov 012014

Wrangler Sport 3.8L-Liter V6 Smpi Engine

When I'm fueling my Jeep at the gas station, the fuel system does not respond to the shut-off mechanism. As a result, gas spills out and runs down my car and on the ground. I also had the gas frequently spilling on my hands because of this issue.

The problem started to occur intermittently back in November 2014. Since December 2015, it is happening every time I'm fueling my Jeep. This is extremely annoying. It also causes concerns from environmental standpoint. I also fear negative impact on my health due to this issue. Background is that the problem results in unavoidable gas spilling on my hands.

When I raised this issue with my Jeep dealer, they indicated that they allegedly never heard of this issue, that they "couldn't find any problems" and that there is "nothing wrong" with the fuel system of my Wrangler. I feel that I'm not taken seriously by my Jeep dealer.

I learned today that the fuel system issue is a known problem that many other Wrangler owners are struggling with, so I decided to report it through this website.

- Dr. Bernd K., Plainfield, IL, US

Nov 272016

Wrangler Sport 3.8L V6

Fuel will spay out all over you and the ground which is very dangerous.

- Ralph N., Utica, MI, US

Feb 162017

Wrangler

Ever since about a year ago, every time I go to fuel my jeep no matter the station, the auto-shut off on the gas nozzle is constantly shutting off, and if it fills up to much there is a gurgle sound and gas will splash out before the gas nozzle shuts off. Had a firestone technician look at it and they couldn't find the issue but pointed out how frequent of a problem it is and pointed me toward the dealership. I was told they did a soft recall on the tank and was replacing it if it was under warranty, but even though my millage would of still been viable my time has run out. Now I am trying to deal with the dealership and figuring out my options.

- Andrew B., Papillion, NE, US

Dec 022016

Wrangler Sahara 3.8L V6

Almost always, when im am filling the gas tank, gas will overflow and shoot out of the spout, on me , on the ground, and on my jeep.

My tank does not even have to be filled, majority of the time i fill up when i have a quarter tank. Almost immediately after squeezing the trigger I can hear the spout filling and then it shoots out.

In order to fill a tank, I either have to barely hold the the trigger so it barely flows, which takes forever, or I have to stop every now and then so it doesn't overflow.

- Nicholas D., Enfield, CT, USA

Dec 012016

Wrangler Sport 3.8L

When fueling, gas sprays out of the fill hole. This causes a dangerous condition for the environment and for the people it sprays on. FCA says I need a new fuel tank.($1100.00) They could not find the problem when the warranty was in effect but now that the warranty has expired they know exactly what to do.

- josephwa, Deer Park, WA, US

May 102016

Wrangler 3.8L V6

Fuel sprays out of tank and runs down side and back of vehicle after fueling. Fuel pump auto shutoff doesn't stop fast enough resulting in gasoline on clothes, ground, hands and have even been sprayed in the face. This is unsafe and should to be covered by manufacturer since it's clearly a design flaw.

- Steven M., Chantilly, VA, USA

Jul 152015

Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.8L

A year ago my 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara developed an issue all of the sudden that overfilled gas after the pump stopped and spilled fuel down the side of my Jeep and onto the ground. At first I thought it was the gas station so next time I went to a different gas station and the same thing happened. I went to the dealer and they said that it was either the filler pipe ($350) or the gas tank ($862.84). It was no longer under warranty so I decided to just wrap the gas pump with paper towels each time I filled it up and that seemed to work for a while. A few weeks ago the problem inverted to not let me fill it up at all. The filler neck would fill up with only a small amount of fuel. So I replaced the tank and the problem is now gone and the check engines lights are clear. I called Chrysler for reimbursement and they said they would note the complaint but couldn't do anything about it because only 2007-2008 are covered by recall or extended warranty even though there is evidence of the issue persisting all the way up to 2012.

- Donald D., Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Apr 292016

Wrangler V6

When filling tank it overflows and gets all over can and me. I had the same problem with my Dodge Durango and it as covered under a recall. The Jeep Wrangler doesn't have a recall, but it should. It is dangerous.

- jpewsey, Ocoee, FL, USA

Apr 252016

Wrangler Unlimited 3.2L V6

I bought my Rubicon back in October of 2014. Overall, I love it. However, the very first time I filled it up with gas, I overflowed the tank. I have been driving for 30 years and I have never seen anything like it. If I use the automatic dispensing feature or whatever it is called, it will overflow every time. I have to be very careful to just not fill it up all the way, which is a pain and that sort of caution should not be necessary.

Quite frankly, I would be surprised if Chrysler had not been sued over this issue (yet). I just got back from the shop to pick up my Jeep. The "check engine" light has been going on and off. Garage cannot really find anything, but they suspect that the gas is getting into the charcoal chamber or whatever and causing pressure issues of some sort. The guy that worked on that made that guess without even knowing about the fuel filling issue. Go figure.

- yossoh, Woodsfield, OH, USA

Mar 302010

Wrangler Sport

From the first fill up at the gas station when I bought my Jeep 5 years ago it was spurting out after the pump auto stopped. I thought maybe it was user error so I started to just fill up to 14 gallons but even then it was still spurting out. It gets everywhere, on me, my clothes, shoes, hands, on the side of the Jeep, everywhere. Even when I release the handle to where the gas is practically dripping out, the shut off mechanism pops and sure enough, gas spurts out. Out of every single fill up in 5 years, I can easily say that not one single time the gas didn't spurt back out at me. Single mother here, budgets are tight and even though gas prices are down, who the hell wants their hard earned cash spilling on the ground in front of them??

I started running into oil consumption issues almost 2 years ago now and being that THAT issue is a whole new ball of wax, I pretty much just figured it was just my Jeep design that spurts gas out when I fill it up. However dealing with the oil problem, I'm realizing that Chrysler is all about lining their pockets, not standing behind their products. Just sucks and proves me right that there are even MORE issues with Jeeps that they refuse to acknowledge.

- Christina G., Valencia, PA, USA

Oct 012015

Wrangler Sahara

Gas spills out onto ground before the pump shuts off. This started 2 years ago but didn't happen every time I filled up. Now it is happening every time. I have tried everything: shoving the nozzle in there as far as possible, slowing down the flow when I get close to what I think it needs, underfilling my tank, etc. This is driving me crazy and honestly it is really dangerous. Come on Jeep, fix it.

- Kate A., Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 032015

Wrangler Sport 3.2L

Gasoline pukes when I fill, very aggravating and dangerous. Need to know how to fix this problem.

- stanu, Jerseyville, IL, USA

Aug 012011

Wrangler Sport 3.8L

Since this is a problem with previous years, Jeep should consider fixing the problem for all year models not just 2007-1009 for the recall years. When filling the Jeep w/gas you must pay close attention as to the gas gauge & how many gals you put in. i.e. a 1/2 tank is approx. 8-9.5 gals. You must slow down the rate of filling when the gas pump gets to that mark on the pump. This is a real pain in the ass.

- joemaxtravbran, Chantilly, USA

Jul 182015

Wrangler Unlimited Sport V6

I called Jeep and asked them to waive the deductible being applied under my extended warranty. They declined. How can a known issue like this one not result in a recall?

- David S., Leesburg, VA, USA

Jan 092015

Wrangler JK V6

This is ridiculous. Every time I fill up my car, it overflows. I called Jeep and they don't extend the warranty for my year model, even though they KNOW it is an existing issue that needs to be fixed. This is hazardous! I get my feet, pants, and hands covered in gasoline, my car and the ground get splashed with gas waiting for a spark to occur. I have to go to work smelling like chemicals.

If you build something that has an issue, you fix it Jeep. I was just about to upgrade to a new model, but not now if this is how they are going to stand behind their product.

- Erin P., Carrollton, TX, USA

Aug 012011

Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 3.8L V6

When filling the vehicle with gas the automatic shutoff doesn't work until AFTER a significant amount of gas has spilled. This is a safety and environmental hazard. It is also a known issue with recalls for other model years. Chrysler, please fix your design flaw! And please fix my Jeep!!

- Todd S., Prior Lake, MN, USA