ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2014 Jeep Wrangler engine problems: oil housing leak

Oil Housing Leak

2014 Jeep Wrangler (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

7.8

$700

1. replace oil housing (15 reports)
  3. returned for refund (1 reports)
2014 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Wrangler:

2014 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012018

Wrangler

Only paid $100 since it was covered under an extended warranty. Would have cost $500-$700.

Comment #17 nails it.

- Dick M., Medford, MA, US

Jul 182018

Wrangler V6

Cracked oil cooler housing. This seems to be a manufactures defect on 2014 v6 Jeeps and Chryslers. It’s hard to believe that Chrysler is losing sales because of a bad design that they refuse to acknowledge. This problem is well documented on the Jeep forums and complaints with the NTSB. My family owns 3 Jeeps currently and I have owned many over the years. This will be the last Jeep/Chrysler product I ever buy.

- Steven S., Wasilla, AK, US

Jan 052018

Wrangler Sahara 3.6L V6

Have Jeep Wrangler that I have quite enjoy and has been mechanically fairly reliable. Had an electronic problem Clock Spring, I think it caused all sorts of electrical issues, all controls on steering wheel not functional, including horn, not sure about airbags. $600 repair. Frustrating.

Just last month we had a crazy cold spell, I was on vacation over Christmas so the Jeep sat - Son comes to get me at the airport 20 miles away - he tells me there was smoke in the cabin on the way. Never happened again with daily driving. Two weeks later after the snow melts we see oil on the lane way. Son is mechanically inclined a great researcher - he in minutes tells me it is likely the oil filter adapter - 2014 Jeeps are bad for that. Go take it in to the dealer to have it looked at, what do I find out, it is the oil filter adapter - $850 to replace and do an oil change that is required as I lost a bunch. I don't think this is a dealer issue - I get extremely frustrated when you can quickly go online and the problem is big enough that it shows up on numerous forums - it started in 2014 with this change in parts: 68105583AA. Today mine was replaced with:68105583AF. How is it they know enough to change a part as it is leading to numerous problems, even go so far to on the Mopar page to list it as a "IMPORTANT 2014 NEW Part Number." It is one time if you drive your vehicles hard and there is wear and tear that leads to repair/replacement. It is completely another thing when there are known problems and you as an owner are left with an $850 bill. Coming shortly after having to fix an electronic issue. Basically $1500 out of pocket because of poor design and/or quality of parts. I love the Jeep - but am pissed that I am holding the bag.

I know it is a business, I run a business and you try to maximize your profitability, but this seems shady. If they did the right thing, it would be easy to get in another Jeep, since they haven't I have a sour taste in my mouth.

Does anyone know of any recourse on something like this. Not the dealers issue, this is a corporate issue.

Would love your suggestions.

Darcy

- Darcy H., Win, ON, Canada

Jan 272018

Wrangler 3.2L V6

Came out to the Jeep on Saturday and noticed a significant amount of oil on the deck. After some looking, realized it was the oil cooler housing. Took to dealer for repair, $1000 later, Jeep is back up and running.

- marshallk, Corpus Christi, US

Jan 062018

Wrangler Sport 3.6L V6

This is apparently a common issue on 2014 Wranglers and this is absolute garbage that needs to be recalled and fixed permanently. $700 repair that will likely fail again. How do you make an integral part of the engine plastic? Honestly a joke and makes me feel less confident about Jeep products.

- Kyle M., Keller, US

Nov 012017

Wrangler Sahara 3.2L

Oil filter housing cracked. Extended warranty did not cover as it was not part of the drive train. at 60k miles, past the 3 year/36000 mile lousy manufacturers warranty.

- Kc F., Tillamook, US

Nov 112017

Wrangler Unlimited 3.6L V6

Thank you for putting this piece of junk plastic oil cooler housing where I need to take apart the entire top end of the jeep... Not under warranty and I will not bring to the jeep service station because the jeep will come back with more problems than it went in with.

- bnaughty11, East Windsor, US

Jun 012017

Wrangler 3.6L V6

Dealing with leaking oil for the last few months. Finally discovered there are issues with the Oil housing leak at roughly the same mileage. Will be contacting the dealership to have it repaired.

- Cynthia R., Lynnwood, US

Apr 012017

Wrangler Sport 3.6L V6

Found this issue on forums, and depending on the dealership - you might get a run-around or shady service. Wegner Auto Company in Pierre SD was going to get us in right away, but after we cornered them on warranty coverage ... had to wait almost a month to get in for warranty. Then, oops ... oil cooler assembly not in-stock, but came in the next day per ordering after inspection. Oil all over the undercarriage ... still need to clean out. Also found out there are a host of revisions on the oil cooler assembly ... why not take care of the issue and choose a different material other than the plastic? Not sure, is the next one going to crack again and leak oil all over the place?

- Chicken D., Pierre, SD, US

Jan 012017

Wrangler 3.6L V6

click to see larger images

oil housing leak oil housing leak

I bought (December 2016) a 2014 Jeep Wrangler from a dealer and drove it home about 100 miles. I get up the next morning all excited to drive my new Jeep and there was a big puddle of oil under it. I checked the oil and sure enough it was about 1/2 quart low.

I researched online and found many similar complaints and pictures of the oil housing on top of the motor under the intake breaking and causing oil to pool up in the middle of the engine. I got out a flashlight and looked down past where the oil filter sits and sure enough there was a pool of motor oil.

The worse part was that the oil was coating the exhaust making the inside of the Jeep stink! I was also concerned with a potential fire.

I called the dealer and told them to come get the Jeep and give me a refund. They did.

- rkzzd, Roslyn, US

Mar 032017

Wrangler

Had an routine maintenance (oil change) done 3 weeks prior to my first leak. Immediately took it back to certified shop (Tires Plus) and explained this was something I didn't have but now I do. They claimed it didn't occur from services they did during the oil change. I then took it the same day to the dealer (Fields Chrysler Dodge Jeep & Ram) and received a call two days later, stating it wasn't covered under the initial warranty or the extended warranty. They continue to say they believed it was caused by the shop that performed the oil change. I explained after reading multiple issues with the oil housing leaking and how many vehicles have been complaining the same issue. They continued stating they had no solid proof they did it, but they believed they had.

After being quoted $500 For the job $200 for a rental, I wish something else could be done, especially a recall if this is a continuing issue. Just feel spending good money on a new 2014 and purchasing an extended warranty and the Jeep cooperation know about the issue they should be covering it and doing more then trying to push the blame off to someone else.

- Danny N., Apopka, US

Feb 202017

Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L

Found about 1/4 cup puddle of oil under jeep in garage. looked under and oil around the bell housing and transmission pan, no clear sign where it was coming from. Did a google search and all pointed to the Oil Filter / oil cooler housing. This was covered under the power train 5 yr 100,000 mi warranty. Dealership must have been aware and fixed it without hassle.

- Mike K., Erie, PA, US

Jul 232016

Wrangler Sahara Pentastar 3.6L

Noticed oil under vehicle. Oil filter housing was cracked and leaking oil. Dealer replaced part under warranty.

The oil filter housing is a known issue for some 2014 Wranglers.

- Shar M., Okotoks, AB, Canada

Apr 062016

Wrangler 3.6L V6

Noticed a huge puddle of oil under the vehicle, looked underneath and oil seems to be coming from the top and rear of engine and has covered the cross-member, transmission and bell housing. I am making arrangements to get it to a Jeep dealer for diagnostics and repairs.

Update from Apr 21, 2016: Took to jeep dealer and they had it fixed under warranty, but hesitant to say what the real problem was, but it is fixed and fine now

- geraldj, El Paso, TX, US

Jan 152016

Wrangler Unlimited 3.6L

Washing my Jeep and noticed on my $3,000.00 floor that oil was leaking. Only have 5300 miles and thought no way. Only drive in about 3 days a week because I am retired. Took in to Dealer on Saturday and they said bring it back Wednesday ( which is today 1/20/16) so I did. Now they do not know how long it will take to fix because they said I had to get in line. Purchased lot of Jeeps and Jeep Cherokee's in my life and nothing every happen like this. Hope this is not going to be a lemon I have to trade it off, but it want be a Chrysler product again until they get all this fixed, Looks like more people have this problem, but Chrysler want make a recall until they get more complaints. Not sure after fixed it won't happen again.

- syswayne, Lubbock, TX, USA

Dec 242015

Wrangler Sport

First indication was the oil slick on the garage floor. This must be a big issue since I was told there were no parts available and 2000+ on back order. I have only 6,900 miles on my 2014 Wrangler. After making a few phone calls, I was able to get it fixed fairly quickly. The Dealership did try to make the best out of a bad situation.

Since this happened all I hear from my wife is... "GET RID OF THAT THING" I almost have to agree. The new housing is probably just as bad as the old one. Just a matter of time until it goes again. Everyone I spoke to at Jeep and my local dealership, indicated they have not heard of this issue. This tells me the part has not been redesigned, and they will just replace the faulty parts with more of the same. Warranty is up in 8 months. As soon as the warranty is up, the Wrangler will probably go.

- wratman, Sauquoit, NY, USA

Jan 062016

Wrangler 3.6L V6

Noticed oil on the ground in the garage, also smelled a strong oil smell the last day or so before I saw the oil on the ground. Turns out the oil cooler/adaptor is cracked (which is the same issue I'm seeing across all Wrangler forums and groups, as well as some other Dodge and Chrysler vehicles with the same engine). Chrysler said there is not a recall YET, their own words. They also mentioned that there MAY be a recall soon due to how many 2014 vehicles with the same engine are affected. But, since there hasn't been one yet, you better call your warranty company.

- keytx, Plano, TX, USA

Nov 122015

Wrangler Unlimited 3.6L V6

Jeep knows they have a design issue with the oil filter housing but they do nothing about it and the dealership Northwest Dodge/Jeep in Houston has such a slow repair department that they effectively refuse to make the repairs in a timely manner. I have enjoyed my Jeep greatly but things like their service department makes you seek out other places for repair. The leak is slow but has started to be a hazard and cannot be ignored. I took it to a kwik car repair center and they completed the task quickly and very efficiently. It is a very difficult leak to spot unless you know where to look and even more difficult to fix since the engine area and everything tightly compacted require the removal of several items.

- Joe D., Cypress, TX, USA

Nov 072015

Wrangler Unlimited Sport 3.6L

A massive oil leak was the result of what the dealer called an oil filter housing crack. The underside and back of the vehicle; not to mention anyone following me; was covered in oil. The potential wear on the engine is still unknown. I was stranded 150 miles from home; resulting in a $475 towing expense. Along with the danger of being hit while stalled on the side of the road; I have been without the vehicle for almost 2 weeks thus far. The dealer performing the work keeps insisting it will be done soon. However, they can't seem to complete the job for some reason. And so my Jeep is sitting in a parking lot while I spend my time trying to get these people to finish what should have been a simple warranty job.

- Chris R., San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 282015

Wrangler Sport 3.6L V6

Design issue with oil filter housing attachment to the engine block , it cracks and most of the oil is blow out of the engine and all over the undercarriage of the vehicle . Huge mess. Vehicle is under warranty but I believe they are putting a new oil filter housing of the same design that failed! Royal pain in the ass, piss poor design. The engineers that came up with this design should lose their job.

Update from Nov 11, 2015: Brought Wrangler in for electrical issue , Auto tech noticed oil leak , problem was from defective oil housing gaskets , the dealer had to perform the oil housing replacement procedure all over again . What a piece of S....t I just paid Three thousand $$ for an extended warranty not knowing what might happen nex

- briancooney, North Stonington, CT, USA