2014 Kia Optima Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Optima Hybrid:

2014 Kia Optima Hybrid Owner Comments

Nov 212018

Optima Hybrid

Driving normally, hcu error popped up on nav display as well as drivers display. Told to pull over immediately and turn off engine. I was traveling on once he interstate, by the time I got into the emergency lane the car completely lost all power. Turned on emergency hazard lights and after 5 minutes the car was completely dead. Called a tow truck and brought it to rock river Kia in rockdoed, il. Later was told that the engine had seized and the hybrid battery was no longer holding a charge. Estimated 14,000 repair cost.

- Webb, IA, USA

Aug 032018

Optima Hybrid

Stalled out in the middle of I-25, going about 70 mph and rush hour. I was about 40 min from home still on my everyday communte. I am seeing very many others with the same issue. This has me and my family in an unsafe situation daily and Kia will not take responsibility for it. There clearly needs to be a recall on the same (or very similar) issue on the recall on the gas version of this vehicle. We shouldn't wait till someone gets killed or seriously injured first.

- Peyton, CO, USA

Jan 282018

Optima Hybrid

My Kia alerted me to a hybrid charging issue before stalling at an intersection and refusing to start again. I had the vehicle towed to the nearest Kia dealer who did extensive diagnostic work. They determined that a 125 amp fuse had failed in the hybrid safety plug and the appropriate repair response was to replace that fuse with a 150 amp fuse (part # 375F2-4R150). I authorized the repair and made several phone calls to Kia Consumer Affairs requesting additional information as it seemed unlikely that replacement of a fuse with a larger fuse was the needed repair. I finally reached someone at Consumer Affairs who had dealt with a similar issue with the exact same fuse. She informed me that there had been a technical service bulletin issued about this. She stated that the fuse was determined to be too small and that Kia had decided to use a larger fuse to prevent future problems in the system. I asked why I was required to pay for the repair and she told me that it was out of warranty and thus my charge. If the wrong fuse was placed in the vehicle when it was manufactured, it should be replaced by recall or warranty. She would not give me the tsb # but did state that it is located in tsb-ps-515 and I was welcome to have a Kia dealer print it for me.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 112016

Optima Hybrid

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Optima hybrid. While driving various speeds, the check engine, hev, tire pressure monitoring, and oil change warning indicators illuminated. In addition, the engine stalled. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer (fred anderson Kia of raleigh located at 9209 glenwood ave, raleigh, nc 27617; (919) 785-4500). The dealer recalibrated the hybrid electric starter generator. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred four other times. The vehicle was taken to the same dealer all each time where they recalibrated the charging system. Later, when the vehicle was taken back to the dealer, the entire hybrid system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the same dealer. The vehicle was still not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted at 800-333-4542 and stated that there was a sealed crack in the hybrid battery where the coolant was held. The failure mileage was 31,885.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Sep 112015

Optima Hybrid

I was driving down a city street (35mph) when I was cut off by another car making a turn in front of me and we collided. I T-boned his car and my air bags didnt got off. My car stalled completely and nothing about the vehicle safety equipment reacted to the crash. The system (cluster and screen) didnt show that there had been any impact and the car was ready to drive. I reported this to Kia of downtown la (the dealer) and kiausa corporate where they offered to check the car out and see if the car reacted the way it was suppose to. At the end of their inspection they claimed that my car did what it was suppose to and didnt deploy the airbags as the car determined that is didnt need to. I asked why didnt the car show anywhere that there was impact and if the sensors even detected anything as there was no messaged anywhere. They claim it doesnt suppose to. A few weeks after it was repaired I started getting messages in the cluster "check air flap system". took it back and fourth to the dealer where I finally opened a BBB claim. In my claim I also reported a delay reaction when accelerating and was told that hybrids work that way and the response time is slower than regular gas cars. The problem is when turning after a complete stop the car doesnt move for a few seconds and then takes off. Occasionally, the car wont turn off, and asks me to shift to P (park) when it is in park. When that happens I am forced to take it to the dealership where they have to "reset" the car to force it to turn off (no actual solution but to unplug the battery and plug it back in is what they do) according to Kia I cant prove that the airbags dont work as I am not an expert and same with the drive train. Unfortunately the only way of finding out is if this car is involved in another accident. Thank you for your time.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA