2013 Nissan Rogue transmission problems: loss of acceleration

Loss Of Acceleration

2013 Nissan Rogue (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

2. replace cvt transmission (13 reports)
  3. cvt transmission flush (1 reports)
  4. replace foil cooler (1 reports)
  5. replace r&r valve body (1 reports)
  6. replace transmission and add external cooler (1 reports)
2013 Nissan Rogue transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Rogue:

2013 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 192016

Rogue 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I was driving to the desert for a Bridal Shower with a car full of passengers and all of a sudden my car went from 60mph to 40mph, my car started to decelerate on it's own. I had the gas petal all the way down to the floor. I was panicking. This happened going up a hill on a two lane highway, diesels were honking at me and there was no where for me to pull over. I thought we were going to die. My car then started to decelerate even more, all the way down to 20mph. I thought I was going to die of a heart attack from the stress. I was finally able to pull over and wait it out because there was no sign of my car overheating or anything. After about 1/2 waiting on the side of the highway I was brave enough to get back on the highway and my car allowed me to go 60mph again. That is until I had to stop at a stop light. When the light turned green I then pushed all the way down on the gas petal and then slowly I made my way through the intersection (felt like crossing 2 football fields), the car only allowed me to accelerate slowly from 5mph, 10mph, 12mph, 13mph,... until I reached 40mph which was the fastest my car allowed me to go. When it was time to head home my car did fine....

- Valerie R., Moreno Valley, US

Jun 012015

• CVT transmission

Bought the 2013 Nissan Rogue new. Fine the first year. Not long afterwards transmission reduced power significantly (dropping in speed from 70 mph to 35-40 mph) without warning. Then it limps down the road waiting to be rear ended. Nice design there Nissan! Then if you encounter a red light or sign and it's your turn to proceed across the intersection: no NO power! Another chance to get rear ended or T-boned. Then the transmission "chugs" or "farts" or "belches" jumping down the road unless you can get it up to 50-55 mph and it smooths out somewhat. SOOOOOOO if Nissan replaces your transmission, guess what you get? Another sh*tty transmission waiting to break in before IT starts having problems. I called Nissan and told them I want my money back for designing, building, and selling me a defective vehicle. Or let me apply what I still owe on this piece of crap to a non-Nissan vehicle on a Nissan car lot. Got a response from a ditsy airhead regional manager who couldn't give a damn and had already rehearsed her "we don't do that, sorry." Go figure. Build a defective product, never fix or correct the problem from year to year, still expect people to fall for buying a sh*t product and never issue a recall. I hate this car so bad. I hate Nissan more. You can't sell these faulty vehicles because every car dealer out there knows it's being traded because it's junk. Nissan even toyed with the consumer by coming close to calling their product Junk by introducing the Juke. Tee hee hee. This company needs to be shut down permanently or stop, regroup, redesign, and reimburse the consumer for every penny paid to Nissan through buying their products or services.

- Rod C., Artesia, NM, US

Aug 242017

Rogue Special Edition 2.5L V4

When driving up the hill, the engine lost power while foot pedal is floored. After the hill, it picks up speed again. On highway, sometimes 60mph is maximum speed it can go.

Update from Sep 7, 2017: The cause of the transmission failure and damage are due to boiling coolant. The boiling coolant is caused by the coolant system that can not cool the coolant liquid fast enough. This only happens if you are driving on highway for a very long hours and you do this very often. When you are replacing the CVT transmission ($4000), Nissan advices to add a second external CVT oil cooler kit ($900) to prevent coolant liquid from boiling and to protect the transmission.

Update from Sep 7, 2017: If you have Extended Warranty, they will not cover this issue. It's a known issue and it's Nissan's design flaw. Warranty companies know about it and they will not cover for this particular issue despite of their contract says transmission is covered.

- Rav N., Orange, CT, US

Aug 152017

Transmission problems seem to be common in the 2013 model from talking to service manager. There is no warranty or recall.

- Tricia R., Brookhaven, US

Jul 122017

Rogue AWD

Last month, when we were driving between Houston and Austin, our Rogue suddenly lost speed. Speed limit was 75 mph and it slowed down to 60 mph and sometimes 50 mph. We noticed after we stopped to refuel, it worked fine again until about 30 minutes later, then repeated the slowing down. I tested the fuel injectors and they were fine. It feels like the transmission may be overheating and some safety device is kicking in to deliberately slow the car.

- Wayne W., Lago Vista, US

Jun 172017

• CVT transmission

I bought a 2013 Nissan Rogue new, from the dealership. At 60,400 miles, I started having a problem where, after driving for a period of time, the engine would rev up, but no acceleration. I took the car into the dealer and they knew immediately what it was, and what the solution was....to the tune of $500! I asked why, if they know about this problem, is it not a recall? And received no answer. I paid for the repair and got my car. All worked well for a while, until last week, when at 99,000 miles, I started having the problem again. Back to the shop, for what I assumed was going to be another $500 repair bill. I was shocked when Apple Nissan called me back and told me this time I would need to replace the transmission, for $3900! I had to ask the service agent to repeat himself. I can't get over the fact that a $20,000 not-quite-four year old car is now useless. Even more frustrating is that Nissan is well-aware of the problem with their CVT yet they continue to use it.

- John H., York, US

Jun 172016

• CVT transmission

A 3 year old car should not need the transmission replaced. I bought this car in September of 2015 and replacing the transmission already. The car started jumping on the highway at cruising speed and will not accelerate after that. The worst part is I am 3000 miles over the warranty. I have always loved Nissan's but my experience with this Rogue is ruining that. If their is a known problem Nissan needs to step up and take care of its customers.

- Lisa M., Lovington, NM, USA

Jul 292016

• CVT transmission

Transmission failed at 62,135 miles. Overheated. No prior problems or repairs. Dealership recommendation is replace transmission and add a transmission cooler. Sold in Georgia operated in Georgia and needs a transmission cooler to continue to operate in Georgia?! Escalated to Nissan regional but will not cover the cost of the repair. Nissan has had an endemic problem with prior year model across multiple models that is clearly continuing. I have owned multiple Nissan products for close to 30-years that I have happy with, but no more. Lifetime customer lost.

- Kirk W., Atlanta, USA

Jun 242016

Rogue LX V4

• CVT transmission

Would not go over 50 miles per hour on 2 different occasions .

- boyukpa, Gibsonia, PA, USA

Jun 122017

Rogue Special Edition

I think it was a combination of a failure at the worst possible time. My wife was traveling back home on her own with our 3 month infant child in the back seat cruising though I-81 doing 70 MPH on cruise control when approaching road work before a bridge she experienced a sudden rev up up to 5K rpm and then the vehicle lost power (assuming transmission lock-up) immediately leaving my wife stranded in a one lane road with no curve area.

It is important to note that the vehicle check engine light never showed up and we have done regular maintenance to all of our vehicles.

Now the Nissan dealership in Syracuse is telling me that this is a common problem and I see that the frequency of CVT failures is higher than what I expected, what gets me is that the dealership tells me that $ 2K repair may not fix the issue completely and Nissan recommends either changing the transmission Valve assembly or replace the transmission, SERIOUSLY ? @ 86K miles. Pretty ridiculous in my point of view.

- Juan S., Newfield, NY, US

May 292017

• CVT transmission

I purchased a brand new 2013 Nissan Rogue after my husband kept bragging about how great his Nissan truck is. While driving on the highway with 3 kids in my car and the road full of Memorial Day weekend traffic, the car decided to stop accelerating while going up a very small incline. I went from 65MPH to 30MPH in seconds and then car went dead. As I pulled it over and barely made it to the shoulder. We almost caused a huge accident, it's sheer luck there was not a huge car pileup.

Dealership said it's a CVT transmission problem "which is very common with this vehicle" and I need to replace my transmission...for $4,500. There are only 85,000 miles on this car! I got it in 2014 - it's only been driven for 3 years! After Googling "Nissan Rogue problems", I found there are thousands of complaints about their CVT transmission with their 2010 - 2016 models. They extended their warranty to cover replacement on the 2010 and 2011 models, but then apparently never fixed the problem!!

This is so dangerous and irresponsible. I've contacted their Consumer Relations. If you have a Rogue, be very, very careful on the highway. This is a common occurrence with these cars.

- gallagirl8sg, Healdsburg, US

May 262016

Rogue Special Edition Cvt

• CVT transmission

It was May 26, 2016, a warm Spring day, I was working approx 1.5 hrs from home. While cruising on the Atlantic City Expressway, I suddenly, and without warning, lost the ability to accelerate. My RPM gauge went almost into the red zone, while my speed quickly decelerated. I had absolutely no ability to maintain my speed. Luckily, and without injury, I was able to maneuver to the right shoulder, where I sat for 10 minutes with my car turned off, hoping it had just overheated (although no warnings of doing so).

Before trying to pull out, I said a quick prayer, and pressed the pedal to the floor. My car took almost a full minute to reach 30 mph!!! I couldn't drive any faster, and maintained that speed all the way home. About an hour later, my husband returned home from work, took my car through the neighborhood to test it, but couldn't get the problem to surface.

This situation has happened a few times since. I have noticed a pattern of warm days/air conditioning/long drives. I drive for a living, and traveling during the summer months is inevitable.

During the cooler months of Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb I did not have this issue.

- Dina B., Tuckerton, NJ, US

Apr 222017

• CVT transmission

The car RPM's began to rev high and then the car lost power on the freeway - very dangerous and scary! I see that it is a common complaint but has not been recalled!

- Martie M., San Diego, CA, US

Mar 232017

Rogue Special

On the way back to Albuquerque from Oklahoma, 2013 nissan won't accelerate on Highway with check engine light.

- Sunghee L., Albuquerque, NM, US

Aug 152016

Rogue 2.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I am now done with this. My son was driving my car, coming back to Lebec from Oceanside. After he passed Gorman the car lost power on the next hill. Once he got to the flat it was okay. It goes to the shop tomorrow and will soon be replaced with a car made by a different company and certainly not with a CVT.

- Gayle P., Lebec, CA, USA

Aug 102016

Rogue 2.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I had the acceleration problem again same situation. Coming up the grapevine after driving for 3 hours. I thought maybe bad batch of gas. So, I started putting high quality high octane gas in my car. Clearly not the problem. I can't believe this is such a widespread problem with this transmission and Nissan keeps putting it in their cars.

- Gayle P., Lebec, CA, USA

Oct 112016

• CVT transmission

This only happens on long road trips after the car has ran for approximately 3 hours. Therefore, the problem did not show up until after the warranty was up. Nissan needs to fix their transmission problems.

This is one of just a few vehicles where the warranty was not extended. This vehicle has 80,000 miles on it and I can't even take it on a long road trip. I will NEVER buy a Nissan vehicle again.

- Misty W., Wewahitchka, US

Jan 012016

Rogue AWD 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I was traveling down the highway on cruise control and my exit was coming up. I pressed down on the accelerator to pass a big rig so i could take my exit. When I reached the stop light and had to come to a complete stop everything seemed to be fine. That is until I went to take off and my car would not move. i dropped it down into 1st gear (LOL) and it kinda moved, enough to barely make it through the intersection. I purchased the vehicle used and soon after i noticed there was a whistling sound, it reminded me of the sound the Jetson's cars make. at that point it was still under warranty so i took it in. Low and behold there was nothing wrong and of course now that i am 25k over my warranty i am having these issues. this is my second and last nissan i will own. At this point the only thing Nissan has that is any good is the sound system.

- Pat F., Manteca, CA, USA

Jun 222016

• CVT transmission

In 2009 I traded in my Chevy Impala that was leased to get into a Nissan Rogue 2010. My husband swore up and down that they stood behind their products. However by 2013 65,000 miles out of warranty the converter was replaced, radiator started leaking, head gasket blew and transmission went. I was blamed because supposedly I didn't have enough records to show that I had the vehicle serviced enough. I was then told to purchase a new Rogue so I wouldn't have incur the cost to fix.

Here I am again in 2013 with this new vehicle at 62000 Miles 3 years into the loan and Transmission gone again. $4500 to fix I called Corporate and they only want to over me $3000 leaving me to foot the $1500 bill.

I am so upset and I want out of Nissan, right now the dealership is pressing me to purchase a vehicle or to get the one in the shop fixed. They keep taking advantage of me making purchase vehicles for 5 year loans when the Vehicles are only last 3. WTF!?

It didn't help that the corporate person was unsympathetic. I told her I was getting my attorney, she responded Ok, I'll email you my number for your attorney to call. I have heard nothing else from Corporate. I am so disappointed to find that as a Mother with a young child nothing is being done regarding this vehicle and its transmission issues, I can tell by how they are treating me and by the amount of complaints for this year make and model. I will be reaching out to the CEO from here, may have to get an attorney and in the meantime have no way to work. Nissan is a rip off!!

- Joslynne H., Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 182016

Rogue 2.5L

• CVT transmission

According to the dealer, the transmission in the Nissan Rogue is a sealed unit that cannot be serviced. Which smart engineer thought that this was idea worth pursuing?

- carterfam346, Woodstock, GA, US