ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2004 Nissan Sentra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Sentra:

2004 Nissan Sentra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 052017

Sentra

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Sentra. While the driver was making a left turn, another vehicle crashed into the passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The passenger side air bag deployed, but not the driver's side air bag. The driver sustained upper torso injuries, head trauma, and pelvic fractures and died due to the injuries. Medical attention was required. A police report was filed. The dealer was not contacted. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V287000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was towed to a police impound lot. The failure mileage was unknown. *

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Oct 112017

Sentra

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Sentra. While driving 10 mph, the front driver's side of the contact's vehicle was struck by another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The dealer and manufacturer were not made aware of the crash. The failure mileage was approximately 206,000.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Nov 132017

Airbag recalled

- Secane, PA, USA

Nov 062017

Sentra

Ever since I bought my car the airbag has been on. Now I come to find out that they weren't manufactured properly. Here I am thinking jjj M save with my airbag that nothing would really bad happened because im depending on it cone to find out in better of not having one.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Oct 102017

Sentra

It's been falling apart every year no matter what I do to protect

- St. Albans, VT, USA

Jul 012017

Sentra

I read news that my car model may have recall of takata airbag. I bought the car in Canada and now I drive it in California. So far my car VIN number had not shown up in your VIN checking tool. Is it because your tool only has vun for cars sold in usa?

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jul 272016

Sentra

When my car hit a truck going 25- 30 mph the air bags deployed but not fully. Passenger front hit windshild. Brook windshield. Airbag did not inflation fully on drivers side or passenger side. My car was on a city street. In motion going 25-30 mph

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jun 152016

Sentra

Took this car into two Nissan dealerships after receiving a letter regarding the takata inflator recall, was denied both times at both locations that they would not work on my vehicle due to it being a rebuilt title, which I purchased this car from someone as is. Sent an email to Nissan's corporate headquarters and my case was never handled. Ive read of the fatalities due to this particular recall and I fear for me and my families safety. Please help.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 142015

Sentra

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Sentra. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V287000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jun 272016

Sentra

Takata recall I bought my Nissan car in Canada, and brought it to California. From Nissan Canada, I know there is takata recall for the airbag. This airbag problem can put passenger in life-threatening danger. However, local Nissan dealers refused to perform this airbag recall on my Nissan car, and Nissan North America did not help to resolve this issue (I have contacted Nissan North America and did not receive any meaningful response).

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 012010

Sentra

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Sentra. While driving 25 mph, another vehicle failed to yield and crashed into the front of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained rib injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. On another occasion, while at a stop light, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact did not sustain any injuries, but received medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V287000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

May 192015

Sentra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Sentra. While the vehicle was not in use, the driver and passenger side air bags deployed independently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing where it was diagnosed that the air bags and passenger side seat belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000. Updated 09/01/15 updated 12/4/2015

- Hartford, CT, USA

Feb 122015

Sentra

My passenger airbag was recalled and fixed by deland Nissan but what about the driver airbag" media reported a man lost an eye and a woman lost her life due to driver airbag, so why have the driver airbags not been recalled also"

- Deltona, FL, USA

Mar 092015

Sentra

The contact owned a 2004 Nissan Sentra. While driving approximately 45 mph, another vehicle crashed into the contact's vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained chest and back injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact was made aware that there was a recall related to the failure under NHTSA campaign number: 14V361000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Lynwood , CA, USA

Apr 112015

Sentra 4-cyl

Nissan recalled for airbag malfunction.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 072015

Sentra 4-cyl

I received the notice for NHTSA recall 14V-361. Called the nearest Nissan dealership service, future Nissan of folsom, ca 4-5 days in advance to make the appointment. I brought in my car as scheduled but was turned away after waited for an hour. The dealership service said that they had the part for my car but gave it to another local dealership. The service dept of this dealership had made it impossible for me to have my car defective part get fix as soon as possible. I have wasted a week waiting to come in to this dealership service dept thinking that they will do the job properly. Now I will have to set up another appt. With a different local Nissan dealership service dept. I am making a complaint on how the service dept of future Nissan of folsom, ca dealing with this recall from its Nissan company.

- R C, CA, USA

Nov 012008

Sentra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph in rainy weather, the vehicle began spinning suddenly (the contact could not figure out why) and crashed into a guardrail twice. There were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The contact called the dealer who stated that they had no complaints about the failure. The manufacturer had not been notified. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were approximately 40,000. Updated 03/24/11 updated 04/01/11 the consumer also stated the air bags failed to deploy. Updated 04/29/11

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Feb 072010

Sentra

This is a new update and see #10301656. Less than 3 weeks since my last repair, my 2004 Sentra airbag light is flashing again. I took it back to the dealer and they are now saying the computer is bad and needs to be replaced for $667. I asked the service adviser how did he know the previous three seat belt assemblies were bad and he said the error code told him so. I asked him what led him to believe the computer is bad this time, and he said they have to try something else and work upstream since the last three fixes did not work. I asked him if he is sure the computer is the problem and he can not say or give me a good answer. I told him I will not be keeping the car once it is fixed and so they better do a through job to protect the next buyer now that the car has (4) repair records due to airbag system failure. I called the Nissan hq for assistance and they in turn contact the local dealer for information. The only discrepancy I can determine is now the shop claims to have error codes that pin point the problem. Nissan hq said the car is out of warranty but I told them the first incident occurred under the warranty period and it took them (4) times and still couldn't get it right. I believed the Nissan airbag restraint has some design flaw because all of the replaced assemblies are on the passenger side and I am the lone driver. +++++++ I am reporting a safety concern to nhtsb because the same seat belt component for my 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8L sedan has failed three times within a span of 5,209 miles. The local Nissan dealer has no explanation for the repeated failures: 12/23/2008 @ 46,401 miles; 8/13/2009 @ 48,000 miles; 1/19/2010 @ 51,610 miles. Nissan dealer corrected the problems each time under warranty with belt assy - tongue #86884-6Z604. The airbag light came on and stayed flashing each time until the problem is corrected. I do not know if the entire safety restraint system itself has been compromised with a single co.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Jan 192010

Sentra

I am reporting a safety concern to nhtsb because the same seat belt component for my 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8L sedan has failed three times within a span of 5,209 miles. The local Nissan dealer has no explanation for the repeated failures: 12/23/2008 @ 46,401 miles; 8/13/2009 @ 48,000 miles; 1/19/2010 @ 51,610 miles. Nissan dealer corrected the problems each time under warranty with belt assy - tongue #86884-6Z604. The airbag light came on and stayed flashing each time until the problem is corrected. I do not know if the entire safety restraint system itself has been compromised with a single component failure. The front passenger seat is rarely occupied as I am the lone driver of this car and carry no passenger. I have written to Nissan Consumer Affairs, P.O.box 685003, franklin tn 37068-5003 last Aug 22, 2009 about this safety concern and Nissan has not responded.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Sep 142007

Sentra 4-cyl

Drive a 2004 nissian I crashed my car..I broke..the axel on my car and the axel of a Ford fouces 2003 the air bags never went off and the seat belt never held.the lawyer od South Dakota said they were to small of a state to go threw and.to try out side states. For air bags and seat belts. I have the police report and hospital bill. Pluss I took pictures if you would like them sent via E-mail I can.. thank you.

- Reno , NV, USA