2005 Pontiac G6
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.
The 2005 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.
In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2005 G6 wasn't included in that recall.
In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for power steering problems, up to 10 years/100k miles.
As of early 2013 the NHTSA had 300+ steering complaints on file for the 2005 G6, with 12 crashes & 4 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.
The 2005 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.
Factor in the 2005 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.
Worst 2005 G6 Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- steering problems79NHTSA complaints: 401
- interior accessories problems15NHTSA complaints: 7
- engine problems15NHTSA complaints: 40
- electrical problems11NHTSA complaints: 74
- wheels / hubs problems11NHTSA complaints: 7
- lights problems8NHTSA complaints: 61
- windows / windshield problems6NHTSA complaints: 8
- body / paint problems4NHTSA complaints: 12
- exhaust system problems3
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 32
- transmission problems3NHTSA complaints: 8
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 16
- AC / heater problems1
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 74
- cooling system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 31
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 9
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 11
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 4
Stay Up to Date
Compare Pontiac G6 Model Years
Curious how the 2005 G6 compares to other years?
Check out our Pontiac G6 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the G6.